• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ITAdam

Aug 30, 2014
    Carrol County
    Hey everyone

I just got setup with a hornady deluxe reloading kit. I have everything I need except for the powder and primers. I'm having a heck of a time determining what primers and powder to get and more so where to get it.

I'd prefer to buy local in MD to save on the hazmat shipping rate.

Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Winchester large pistol primer's have been good, along with Tula. CCI works well also, but they are known to be a bit out of round, so they may not seat as easily as others.

Powder wise, 231, Titegroup, are 2 that I know meter well thru most powder drop stations. But there's quite a few options available, assuming you can find them in stock locally.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For primers, any of the brands will work fine. Winchester, CCI, Tula, Remington, Federal. Get what you can find. I typically prefer Winchester or CCI.

As for powder, make a list of what will work from your loading books, and they buy whatever you can find. Pistol powder is VERY hard to find these days.

WW231 is my typical .45 powder. But Unique, Bullseye, Titegroup, 700x, AA#5, Red Dot, HS-6, etc.

The bullet you are shooting will also make a difference. Some powders that work well for light bullets are not so good for heavy bullets.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Titegroup is the popular powder in 45acp. I use 5.0 gr under a 200 LSWC, soft shooting and accurate.
    W231 is also good but hard to find

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    They're a bit dirty but I like HS6 and Bullseye for .45. there are many great powders available Find one that will meter well in your powder measure and has published recipes for the bullets you plan to use.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I have LP pocket brass for the most part but also have some small pocket brass which came with a mixed bag of once fired.

Save yourself the hassle and decide on one dive primer and stick to it. - I didn't know any better and learned the tough way.

Are you loading only for 45ACP ? Or do you want to try and find a single powder which you can use for other calibers too?

In general, pistol powder has been tough to find lately. Continental Arms in timonium generally has powder and given you're in Carroll county that would be a fairly close place to look.

Bass pro - you can ship to store so that is an option

Maryland ReloadR - bob is based in southern Maryland (pomfret) and generally has a good supply of powder

Chant illy show generally has a good booth or two

Trops - up in PA. Haven't been there in a while but they generally have good component variety and supply

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I have LP pocket brass for the most part but also have some small pocket brass which came with a mixed bag of once fired.

Save yourself the hassle and decide on one dive primer and stick to it. - I didn't know any better and learned the tough way.

I'll second that. small primer .45 brass is a PITA if you're reloading a lot of range brass. I've got a lot of brass and occasionally get a few small primer .45's. I bag them for future trade...

ITAdam

Aug 30, 2014
    Carrol County
    Thanks all. On looking to reload .45 to start and will eventually start on .223 and .308.

What size primers should I be using? Someone at the AGC range the other day recommended large pistol primers. Is there a performance or size difference between large & small primers?

Thanks Shamr0ck for the recommendations, I work very close to continental so I may check them out soon.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I don't know of any difference between small and large. The deciding factor for me is that large primer pockets are more prevalent in .45 than the small. It's more of a supply thing for me.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    this picture will show the difference:
    45acp-small-large-case-200.jpg

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    45 ACP started as LPP and at some point they started SPP in this caliber too.

Given that you are looking to load just one pistol caliber, you have more flexibility as you don't need to find a powder which works for multiple calibers.

Buddy of mine turned me on to these:

ygype5u8.jpg

Inside, by bullet Manf, and specific bullet, you get a table:

datuhadu.jpg

I keep these in the car and take them in when I go shopping so I can find the match between the bullets I have (or am purchasing) and the available powder.

I bought my copies at cabelas but you can find them at www.loadbooks.com

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I don't know of any difference between small and large.

Since he posted a pic, Streetgang obviously can tell the difference between large and small :party29:

Let me rephrase that statement as a question:
    What is the perfomance/pressure/accuracy difference between large and small primer 45? Should us occasional paper punchers care?

From a reloading standpoint, it would be an enormous PIA to have a mixture of small and large primer in your progressive press and not that much better if you priming one case at a time.

As a newbie, remember this is a pistol. You are not reloading for benchrest where .01 inches separates first from last. Nor are you reinventing the wheel. There are lots of powders that work just fine. Buy one of the recommended powders above and just go with it.

Last edited:

ITAdam

Aug 30, 2014
    Carrol County
    Cool, thanks. I think I'll buy take a look at getting one of those guides. The one that came with the press is comprehensive, but not super specific on any one cartridge

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Negligible difference in primers for target ammo. Just sort 'em and stuff 'em. The .45acp has got to be one of the easiest and most forgiving rounds to load.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    As already posted there are a variety of powders that will power 45acp. My favorite is 231. Unique is next. But Bullseye, Blue Dot, Green Dot, and a host of others work well. The good news is you can get between 1300 and 1500 rounds out of a pound of powder depending on which one you can get.

Pinecone said it:
    As for powder, make a list of what will work from your loading books, and then buy whatever you can find. Pistol powder is VERY hard to find these days.

Primers: All brands of LP primers work fine. You already know there are small primer pocket cases out there. Just sort your cases so you know what you're dealing with.

As far as bullets, sticking with one weight and profile will help you work up the right load for your firearm. I've personally found cast 230 gr RN are consistently accurate, cheap and fun - especially if you cast your own boolits. The Lee mold below has made thousands of boolits at my casting bench:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...mble-lube-2-ogive-radius?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Good luck and let us know your results.

:thumbsup:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I reload 45ACP on a Dillon 550B. I started using Unique. It meters well, but it's a dirty powder. I switched to WW231 and large winchester primers. I briefly went to 700x too. Both powders worked well behind a 200 gr LSW. hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom