• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    So several of the guys I shoot skeet with have been shooting games here and there with pump guns to keep it fun and interesting. I am tossing around the idea of doing the same. I am looking for a high end pump as the idea of putting down a fabarm/guerini and picking up an 870 express/500 kinda makes me shutter.

My best option now is to buy a wingmaster and upgrade the stock to something with an adjustible comb and LOP.

I am willing to spend up to about 1500.

Any other thoughts?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I wonder if a Browning BPS is still a quality shotgun?

Dad had one and I thought it was very nice. Beautiful finish and wood. Buttery smooth action.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I recommend looking for a nice vintage Winchester Model 12, original skeet guns are pricey but you can find a nice gun that has had a Cutts or Poly choke put on it for reasonable as those have no collector value although there are a few that are original Cutts from the factory. If it is an original Cutts it will not have a choke marking on the barrel.
    I have an original late 50's WS1 Skeet gun but don't think I would let it go for 1500.00.

Attachments

• IMG_1813.jpg
      IMG_1813.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 486
    • IMG_1814.jpg
      IMG_1814.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 494

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not high end, and not even sure if still making, but my dad and I used model 37 Ithaca's in 12 and 16ga for pheasant hunting (and occasional skeet/trap) and they worked absolutely perfectly. I'm a lefty and love the bottom eject. Still have both, but I've been using my Benelli SBE2 for everything.

a piece of art that hangs on your wall, sure, but I just don't get dropping $$$ on fine wood and the like on guns that get used outside with likelihood for bumps and scratches or worse.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    a piece of art that hangs on your wall, sure, but I just don't get dropping $$$ on fine wood and the like on guns that get used outside with likelihood for bumps and scratches or worse.

You haven't seen the Uberti rifles we use in Cowboy Action Shooting. My Uberti 1860 has gorgeous wood and a really beautiful case colored receiver, and it gets knocked around quite a bit. Brand new in box, they run $1400. Same with their Winchester 73 clones.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I love watching a guy go on the field with a beater gun and smash 24 or 25 while the guys with the $$$$ guns mumble excuses about missing.

Feb 28, 2013
    I love watching a guy go on the field with a beater gun and smash 24 or 25 while the guys with the $$$$ guns mumble excuses about missing.

For skeet it's probably fine. But I don't really like my BPS for trap, due to the shells loading and ejecting through the same port. You can't load right into the chamber like you can with a side ejection port.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    For skeet it's probably fine. But I don't really like my BPS for trap, due to the shells loading and ejecting through the same port. You can't load right into the chamber like you can with a side ejection port.

I understand what you're saying, but a guy showed me a trick for the BPS. When you're on the line waiting your turn, hold the BPS upside down with the action open. Use your thumb to slightly push the pump a little forward until the "forks" drop inside the chamber. When it's your turn drop a shell in and rack the pump forward. The shell goes right into the chamber.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    So several of the guys I shoot skeet with have been shooting games here and there with pump guns to keep it fun and interesting. I am tossing around the idea of doing the same. I am looking for a high end pump as the idea of putting down a fabarm/guerini and picking up an 870 express/500 kinda makes me shutter.

My best option now is to buy a wingmaster and upgrade the stock to something with an adjustible comb and LOP.

I am willing to spend up to about 1500.

Any other thoughts?

What about CZ or Winchester?

Feb 28, 2013
    I understand what you're saying, but a guy showed me a trick for the BPS. When you're on the line waiting your turn, hold the BPS upside down with the action open. Use your thumb to slightly push the pump a little forward until the "forks" drop inside the chamber. When it's your turn drop a shell in and rack the pump forward. The shell goes right into the chamber.

Thank you sir. I gotta give that a try. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom