Remington 700 AAC-SD .308, 16.5" or 20"??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Looking hard at this as a deer and target rifle. The times I'll have to take a shot over 200-300 yards will be extremely limited, but I've read that both will handle that range no problem. Most shots at deer will be less than 100 yards. I'm torn though between the 16.5" and 20" lengths. What are the cons and benefits to either length for the applications I mentioned?

Also, are there any benefits to going with the non-threaded 700 SPS Tactical vs the AAC-SD? This will be my first bolt gun that is not a .22lr.

Thanks in advance for guidance.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I'd get the shorter barrel, just for weight and size. Threaded allows you to put a suppressor on it later if you become so inclined.

Just saw a 16.5 in 223 and 308 at Atlantic Guns this afternoon, and one in 300blk at Engage Armament.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Depends on the load I believe.

I think if you buy the 16, you'll eventually want the 20. You say it's for deer and <300, but the call of longer ranges will eventually get to you. Just my two cents.

Have it and not need it, or need it and not have it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Both of those rounds are optimum in a 22 inch barrel. Going from 22" to 20" will be losing about 25-50 fps. Going from 20" to 16.5" you'll see 50-78 fps loss. Your trajectory tables will give the loss of velocity at different ranges

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    YES, substantial difference in performance at long range.

At 200, shorter it fine.

I just finished a long range course. I was shooting my .308 bolt gun with a 24" barrel. Another student was shooting a 20" barrel AR-10.

I was hitting steel at 1200 yards. He could not get on the steel at 1000 yards, as his loads were going subsonic by then.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Just as an example to for the MV numbers I get 2685 fps on my 24" 5R with 41gr Varget. So when scaling down the length, the MV curve bends pretty sharply after about 20". I'd stick with the 20".

Tinker with the JBM Ballistic Calculator and see what kind of difference you will see at 300 yards. I'm betting the adjustment difference or hold-over will be substantial from a 100 yard zero with a projectile of that weight going that slow.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Edit: Just did the calculation on the SMK 175 and there is a 3.4 inch difference in drop at 300 yards between the two 2400 and 2600 fps.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Looking hard at this as a deer and target rifle. The times I'll have to take a shot over 200-300 yards will be extremely limited, but I've read that both will handle that range no problem. Most shots at deer will be less than 100 yards. I'm torn though between the 16.5" and 20" lengths. What are the cons and benefits to either length for the applications I mentioned?

Also, are there any benefits to going with the non-threaded 700 SPS Tactical vs the AAC-SD? This will be my first bolt gun that is not a .22lr.

Thanks in advance for guidance.

I have the 700 SPS AAC-SD w/ 20" barrel. (Did not know it was made w/ 16-1/2"!)

Be forewarned.... that rifle w/ Leupold +15 MOA mount, Leupold MKIV rings and a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-18 scope on it is NOT a lightweight rifle!!!

For hunting...... I suggest getting either the Remington 700 SPS w/ 22" barrel or the Remington 700 BDL or CDL.

Now, with that said, my 700 SPS AAC-SD shoots fingernail sized groups at 100 yards.
    YMMV.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also going through the sound barrier really causes havoc with accuracy

A LOT depends on the bullet.

The Sierra .308 168 gr Match King is notorious for getting squirrelly when going trans sonic. The 175 is MUCH better.

ir0nw1l

Feb 6, 2013
    WV
    This is a really good thread as I have also been looking at the .308s

I agree! This has been a helpful thread ... I now an trying to determine if I should just go to the AR platform or get the traditional hunting rifle.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions ...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    After shooting steel last week at 1200 yards, I vote nice bolt gun. :)

Glock30Eric

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2013
    I suggest you to get M1 Garand. If you miss the shot then you always take a second shot at that monment. .30-06 is best!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'd get separate rifles for each application. Sorry, I'm not lugging a 10+ pound rifle around in the woods. I have a Remington 700CDL in 7mm-08 for hunting, and a Remington 700 Sendero II in .300 WinMag for long range target shooting.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'd get separate rifles for each application. Sorry, I'm not lugging a 10+ pound rifle around in the woods. I have a Remington 700CDL in 7mm-08 for hunting, and a Remington 700 Sendero II in .300 WinMag for long range target shooting.

This ^^^^^^^^

Lighter weight, thin profile barrel for carrying all day long with a few shots.

Heavier, heavy barrel for less felt recoil and better control of barrel heat when shooting more rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom