• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    OPINIONS WANTED! - How often do you hear that? LOL

Ruger 22/45 or Mark III for non-competitive (for now) Target shooting with an Optic?

If you have an opinion on the pistol, perhaps you'll also have one on an optic?

There can be only one. (purchased because I can't afford both )

Scarab

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I recommend Ruger Mark III. I grew up shooting a Mark I and the grip angle is right for me. You may want to try both, before you buy, to see which grip angle works best for you.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    if you go with the 22/45 get the one with removable grips. Early ones didnt have this option. Also memorize the youtube video for assembly/dis-assembly instructions or you will have a headache and a bag of parts if you dont ;)

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    22/45 is alright. I enjoy it well enough. Duffys has a great sale on em right now. You might want to check out there IP section for the deal. Also after they sell the 5 they have in stock they will choose 1 of the 5 for a free supressor!

Check it out, I don't know if this is done yet. You might sneak in.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=164811

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    They are both mark III pistols. One has the 22/45 grip. I have a mark III 22/45 with bull barrel. I prefer this one cause I got a 1911 and the transition between the two is easy.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    What kind of shooting do you have in mind? What is your budget for a red dot?

For plinking a Bushnell First strike is a good choice at about $100. Better is a Burris Fastfire at about $200 (I got mine used for $150)

For speed shooting a C-more is best. About $220. I also bought a mount that mounts the C-more on it's side. Another $70.

For Bullseye, Accudot all the way. About $220.

Hope that helps. These are some if the better red dots, there are budget ones available. I have tried a few and you get what you pay for.

22/45 or mk iii, I like the grip angle on the 22/45 better. It's closer to my Buckmark's.:D

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I love Ruger but not the newer ones. Triggers are rough due to all the lawyer gadgets, so if I were to buy new I would look at a Browning Buckmark. Or, get the Ruger but budget to have work done to it to clean up the trigger.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I have a Mark III Hunter and a 22/45 Lite both with optics. It depends on the style of shooting you think you might want to do. My Hunter is my bullseye gun and has a Matchdot on it. It also has a Volguartsen trigger kit and compensator and Vitarbo grips.

My 22/45 Lite has an Aimpoint Micro. I just got started in Steel Challenge with this setup and I think it will work well for that.

The weight difference is substantial between these two. Weight is an advantage in precision shooting at fixed position targets as in bullseye - the compensator is as much to add weight as it is to channel gasses. But when you start moving rapidly from target to target as in Steel Challenge, it is a disadvantage. You just need to hit the plate to score. There is a compensator on my 22/45 but it is much lighter than the one on my Hunter.

I do agree that if you buy one of the new Rugers you will likely want to make a few modifications if you want to compete with it. That said, if I was buying just one to punch paper for fun, I would go with the Mark III in a bull barrel, put the rail on it, and add a Burris Fastfire III (less than half the price of my Aimpoint). I'd probably leave it stock after that as I could tolerate the minor issues associated with the magazine disconnect and the LCI. I prefer the heavier Mark III frame to the poly frame of a 22/45.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I love Ruger but not the newer ones. Triggers are rough due to all the lawyer gadgets, so if I were to buy new I would look at a Browning Buckmark. Or, get the Ruger but budget to have work done to it to clean up the trigger.

You can easily resolve the trigger grittiness yourself by replacing the mag disconnect with a TK hammer bushing and swapping out the factory sear for the Volquartsen target sear. With those two changes, my 22/45s have nicer triggers than my Buckmarks with stock triggers.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I bought a Ruger MKIII about a year ago. It feels better in my hand. There is a ton of aftermarket accessories for it. Of course the 22/45 is cheaper, but it also felt "cheap" to me IMHO. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    You can easily resolve the trigger grittiness yourself by replacing the mag disconnect with a TK hammer bushing and swapping out the factory sear for the Volquartsen target sear. With those two changes, my 22/45s have nicer triggers than my Buckmarks with stock triggers.

:thumbsup: Did this and I can say it's great.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

How much did that cost? What if you can't do it yourself? The cost will at least double.

Try the "Heggis flip" on your Buckmark and that trigger will be better than your worked over Ruger. Cost $0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom