• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'm looking for a long range / hunting pistol. Must be semi auto , 10mm and have a superb trigger/ sights. Must be able to stop bears, pissed of hogs and two legged predators.

What are my options.

Currently looking into.

EA witness hunter longslide
    1911 in 10mm
    Glock 20( custom)

I really like the witness, a bit different and it is made of steel. I heard the trigger is very nice as well. It's also high cap at 15 rounds.

Any input ?

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    How about a .460 Rowland Upper on a 1911?
    6" barrel 230gr at 1261 fps.
    10mm looks like 155gr at 1254fps out of a 6" barrel.

In md, don't you have to have a 6" barrel to hunt with?

I bought my rowland kit years ago because it met the quals for handgun hunting deer. I've taken 1 deer with it.

I mention it just because you had 10mm 1911 on the list.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    How about a .460 Rowland Upper on a 1911?
    6" barrel 230gr at 1261 fps.
    10mm looks like 155gr at 1254fps out of a 6" barrel.

In md, don't you have to have a 6" barrel to hunt with?

I bought my rowland kit years ago because it met the quals for handgun hunting deer. I've taken 1 deer with it.

I mention it just because you had 10mm 1911 on the list.

That's something to think about. Thanks for the tip.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'm looking for a long range / hunting pistol. Must be semi auto , 10mm and have a superb trigger/ sights. Must be able to stop bears, pissed of hogs and two legged predators.

What are my options.

Currently looking into.

1911 in 10mm
    Glock 20( custom)

I really like the witness, a bit different and it is made of steel. I heard the trigger is very nice as well. It's also high cap at 15 rounds.

Any input ?

A friend of mine was selling a Glock 20. If you want, I can see if he still has it?

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I haven't had the .45 configuration on that gun since I got the rowland conversion and dialed it in.
    Looks like it is a barrel etc and not an entire upper.

I'd be happy to let you shoot it as well. I think they specify that they want you to use certain frames only (stronger ones).

Some 1911's we do not recommend (mainly because their slides are not compleatly heat-treated) include: Any WW II model, or modern "GI" model, 1911, (except for the modern Springfield Armory GI model ... we like Springfield GI model 1911's ), Rock Island Armory, Auto Ordnance, Israeli Arms, International, Essex, Taurus, Remington-Rand, Charles Daly or ATM.

They also have conversions for glocks and xdm too.

So, you could get a glock 10 and then get the conversion if you aren't happy or want more punch.

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I have the Witness Hunter in 10mm that I bought new. I sent it to robar to have it np3 coated. That made it even better, I'm VERY happy with it. It's an awesome pistol. It's the older style with the compensator look at the end of the barrel. It can shoot at least 3" groups or better at 50 yds. Of all of the pistols that I have that friends see, this is the one they inquire about most. Maybe it's the name. A few thought it was for hunting witnesses.:shocked4
    If you'd like to shoot it, let me know, I can bring it to wherever you'll be. k

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I also have a javelina longslide that is also a great shooter. If you would like to shoot that also just send me a msg..

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    If you decide to shy away from 10mm and already own 1911s, almost any modern 1911 can be modified into a 45 super for cheap. Do you handload? All the better. Swap your firing pin and recoil springs and get yourself some Super brass. You can safely load to at least match if not outperform 10mm.

Of course, check with a real gunsmith first...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    don't know anything about it, but STI has their 6" Perfect 10, not sure if it's a 1911 or 2011 (double stack 1911, but with narrower grips so just barely wider than a 1911 with increased mag capacity). I'm a big fan of STI so sure this is a good gun.

just double check that the 10mm gun you get can handle hot loads. my understanding is that some 1911's, like the delta gold cup I have from years back, doesn't have the barrel support needed.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have the Witness Hunter in 10mm that I bought new. I sent it to robar to have it np3 coated. That made it even better, I'm VERY happy with it. It's an awesome pistol. It's the older style with the compensator look at the end of the barrel. It can shoot at least 3" groups or better at 50 yds. Of all of the pistols that I have that friends see, this is the one they inquire about most. Maybe it's the name. A few thought it was for hunting witnesses.:shocked4
    If you'd like to shoot it, let me know, I can bring it to wherever you'll be. k

Thanks for the offer.

Does the witness hunter handle hot 10mm loads? How reliable is it?

Ty again for any insight.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    don't know anything about it, but STI has their 6" Perfect 10, not sure if it's a 1911 or 2011 (double stack 1911, but with narrower grips so just barely wider than a 1911 with increased mag capacity). I'm a big fan of STI so sure this is a good gun.

just double check that the 10mm gun you get can handle hot loads. my understanding is that some 1911's, like the delta gold cup I have from years back, doesn't have the barrel support needed.

I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a Perfect Ten since they came out. :thumbsup:

Perfect10_14_1a.jpg

May 13, 2005
    I've spent A LOT of time in bear country... and I would absolutely choose something bigger than a 10mm....

When you say bear, do you mean MD kind bear, or real bears?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The perfect 10 is out of my price range at this time.

But the witness hunter looks like a good substitute.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      153.8 KB · Views: 649
    I do like the look of that Witness Hunter. I had a Witness .45 when they first came out and it was a sweet gun and dirt cheap. Very accurate, too. The only reason I got rid of it was that the DA trigger pull/grip was too long for my paws. The SA pull was very good, though.

Feb 28, 2013

What are my options.

Currently looking into.

1911 in 10mm
    Glock 20( custom)

Any input ?

How would something in 7.62x25 work for what you need?

Or are you just trying to keep your calibers standardized?

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks for the offer.

Does the witness hunter handle hot 10mm loads? How reliable is it?

Ty again for any insight.

Yes, It does. I called EAA and inquired if I could use Double Tap hunting loads in it. They told me "no problem". I do know that there was an issue on some VERY early witnesses with their slides having some cracking issues, but that was alleviated when they redesigned the slides with stronger sides and more metal. You can google it. It's a comparison of the rounded slides vs. the more squared ones, but again that was at least 10 yrs. ago. Mine is very reliable. I have never had an issue with ftf or fte. It does fit your hand very well and is balanced, even when fully loaded. It also comes drilled and tapped already from the factory.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    How would something in 7.62x25 work for what you need?

Or are you just trying to keep your calibers standardized?

That caliber is a flat shooting round, but lacks the mass to take down a pissed off black bear.

Supplies have also dried up.

I currently ccw a g32 loaded with double tap 357 SIG. Need something a bit more flat shooting.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Yes, It does. I called EAA and inquired if I could use Double Tap hunting loads in it. They told me "no problem". I do know that there was an issue on some VERY early witnesses with their slides having some cracking issues, but that was alleviated when they redesigned the slides with stronger sides and more metal. You can google it. It's a comparison of the rounded slides vs. the more squared ones, but again that was at least 10 yrs. ago. Mine is very reliable. I have never had an issue with ftf or fte. It does fit your hand very well and is balanced, even when fully loaded. It also comes drilled and tapped already from the factory.

Im probably going with the witness. Its within my price range and i like the single action trigger. A scope mount and an RMR may even make it more fun at extended ranges.

I wonder if any local IPs carry it in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom