• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I did a basic search with no real results. I'm not in the immediate search for a firearm but have the time to go through the process now. So unless I'm the ultimate optimist and believe SB281 will be repealed or modified, list the cons of obtaining the HQL now when I'm not in the market.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    if you wait until you find what you want, it could result in a purchase slipping from your grasp.

Do it now while there is no pressing need.

You'll thank me.

:D

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    If you already own a previously regulated firearm it's a quick though expensive process. You can wait till you need it.

If you are starting from scratch there are a bunch of hoops to go through and it's painful and drawn out. Do it now so it's in place when you want to get something.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yep...double hurdles... pretty poorly written... or well crafted to deter new shooters. Depending on your viewpoint

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    Swinokur is on point with it. Get it done and be confident when you walk into that shop and see the must have gun and know you can have that sale tag on it in less than hour later.

Besides, it'll probably be a while before we get rid of 281. Politicians aren't exactly fedex.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    A background check for the HQL, then having to wait for another background check to be done when buying a handgun.

a similar law was struck down in CA a few months ago. It was the CCW and still having to go thru their 10 day hold. CCW were vetted through their state justice dept.

Dunno if that ruling would be used to at least get rid of the 7 day hold if all 7 day holds are for regulated (hand) guns and all regulated guns can't be purchased without an HQL.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Its a PIA to have to get it. Its expensive. Its redundant. But, if you ever plan to get a carry permit its no more invasive.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    a similar law was struck down in CA a few months ago. It was the CCW and still having to go thru their 10 day hold. CCW were vetted through their state justice dept.

Dunno if that ruling would be used to at least get rid of the 7 day hold if all 7 day holds are for regulated (hand) guns and all regulated guns can't be purchased without an HQL.

That case was in the 9CA and has no bearing on MD, who is in the 4 CA.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm holding out because I'm spending all my money on Garands this year, and I already have enough non-C&R handguns to hold me over for a bit longer.

Also, the HQL just puts you on an updated double-secret List. All the old databases were so full of errors they came up with the HQL to get a new master List for the Big Confiscation.

That's a conspiracy theory I made up all by myself, with absolutely not much basis in reality. Feel free to spread it all over tghe internets.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Its a PIA to have to get it. Its expensive. Its redundant. But, if you ever plan to get a carry permit its no more invasive.

For the HQL they don't call your ex-girlfriend/wife and ask her if she thinks you should be allowed to own a gun.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Let me ask, I was told that by law all the forms and info we used to get our previous handguns were supposed to be destroyed within some timeframe after approval. Any truth to this? He brought this up when I said the state already had my info.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Let me ask, I was told that by law all the forms and info we used to get our previous handguns were supposed to be destroyed within some timeframe after approval. Any truth to this? He brought this up when I said the state already had my info.

Good question, and I look forward to what others have to say.

I can only repeat what I heard at one of the hearings a few years ago. I believe that is true, but the MDSP has been keeping all records of gun sales. Which I've heard some argue is a de-facto gun registration.

Now, we all know the MDSP is keenly interested in this forum; so lets just hope that someone with intimate knowledge will comment on your question.

While we wait on that, check this out: http://www.history.com/topics/american-revolution/american-revolution-history

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom