• BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Its that simple.

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    Can he modify his original HBAR with a lightweight upper if it was purchased before 10/1?

IMO (IANAL) yes. The lower is the only portion that is considered a firearm since it is the serialized part. As long as the lower was purchased before 10/1/13 then any profile barrel should be fine.

As has already been stated if the lower was purchased after 10/1/13 then it must be HBAR. I am thinking of some grey area how HBARs are and have been C&C but pencil barrels regulated (now banned). So I would say a lower purchased as an HBAR must stay as an HBAR. Therefore a lower purchased as an "other" firearm (preban) could be built into whatever profile you want, nfa still applies.

Dowtom

Nov 29, 2014
    Halethorpe
    And if I were to mill a lower since it's not serialized or documented I could get away with a pencil and say that it was built prior correct

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    And if I were to mill a lower since it's not serialized or documented I could get away with a pencil and say that it was built prior correct

In theory you could, but that'd be a violation of MD law and forum rules. :)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

I could say I sold cocaine before it was illegal but that wont stop the DEA from arresting me.
    (Hypothetical only)

Is 8 onces of steel worth the felony charge?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Therefore a lower purchased as an "other" firearm (preban) could be built into whatever profile you want, nfa still applies.

This is not clear. If you ask MSP several times, you will get differing answers.

The SAFE answer is, if did not exist in banned configiuration before 10/1/13, it cannot be built into a banned configuration now.

This is why, in late September 2013, many people assembled a regulated upper to every lower they owned and documented it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom