what are the chances the newer laws get changed back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sep 9, 2012
    I'm just wondering. I need to sell my pistol to get some extra cash, but having to do all the extra stuff later makes me think I may not return as a handgun owner if the laws stay in place. Either way I have to do what's best for my family finances.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How can anyone thing the laws will change back anytime soon?

We have a republican Gov, but the legislature is still heavily Democrat.

The Gov cannot remind laws, he can only sign or veto laws or changes in laws passed by the legislature.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I would suspect that Hogan is waiting for the eventual law suit to be ruled on so he can direct the MSP to comply with the court ruling.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I'm just wondering. I need to sell my pistol to get some extra cash, but having to do all the extra stuff later makes me think I may not return as a handgun owner if the laws stay in place. Either way I have to do what's best for my family finances.

Use your current pistol to be exempt from the HQL training requirement now, before you sell it, and then other than the extra $100-$150 you had to shell out to exercise you 2A rights, you are good to go.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Sucks to have to get the HQL (I still don't have mine) but don't look for it to be repealed any time soon. If there is any other alternative, like taking out a loan against your pistol from a pawn shop... that might be a better route.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    How often are laws taken away?

Let's be real here, politician's measure of success tends to be how many laws they can create/enact, not how many they veto.

Let's hope Hogan lives up to his voters and is the latter.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    I doubt the HQL will go away, however I wish I could still buy an AR15.

Well you can. HBAR or pistol build. Maybe a SBR if ATF and MSP can get their crap squared away.

To answer OP's question, virtually no chance any time soon. I'm optimistic about 2A issues in Maryland, but I don't see the repeal of HQL requirements likely.

CrazyIvan

Crazy Ivan
    Aug 2, 2013
    Scaggsville (Howard County)
    I really don't see how the HQL can be legal. If it were totally free (aka free from direct cost to the applicant) then that would be fine, but to charge individuals for the "privilege" or exercising a constitutional right is stupid. At what point does the fee become disenfranchisement? If we had to pay $150 in fees to exercise our right to vote, of pass a test to exercise that same right, then the ACLU and a host of other groups would scream of racial or class discrimination. The more fees are required to exercise a right, the more that right becomes exclusive to people of a certain "class" or income bracket. Sigh...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The only way this gets changed in the short term, if you want to call it short term, is through the courts. Right now, they/we are working on the "assault weapon" and standard capacity magazine ban. The lawsuit regarding the Constitutionality of the HQL has been shelved until the "assault weapon" and standard capacity magazine ban has been addressed.

The quickest way to get the laws overturned would have been through referendum, but that horse has been beat to death and the ship sailed a long time ago. So, now the best hope is with the courts. After that, the only hope left is the polls or moving to another state.

Dec 31, 2012

If this is your only handgun and you have no HQL then the value of that pistol to you should be ranked proportionally higher. The increased costs to buy a single cheap handgun are significant which is exactly what was intended. Do what you can to keep it. All things considered the future cost outweighs the small short term benefit unless things are really desperate in which case sell your ammo first. List it in the classifieds. I'm assuming you don't need the money today or else you'd have already sold the gun. Do you have a rifle to sell? Easier to replace when things improve.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Many states have had a firearm's owner ID card or similar to buy firearms. It has been tested in the courts.

It will continue to be fought, but I am not holding my breath.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I really don't see how the HQL can be legal. If it were totally free (aka free from direct cost to the applicant) then that would be fine, but to charge individuals for the "privilege" or exercising a constitutional right is stupid. At what point does the fee become disenfranchisement? If we had to pay $150 in fees to exercise our right to vote, of pass a test to exercise that same right, then the ACLU and a host of other groups would scream of racial or class discrimination. The more fees are required to exercise a right, the more that right becomes exclusive to people of a certain "class" or income bracket. Sigh...

Hell, they're already screaming about making anyone have to show an ID to vote. The poor and elderly can't afford them you know?

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    The only way this gets changed in the short term, if you want to call it short term, is through the courts. Right now, they/we are working on the "assault weapon" and standard capacity magazine ban. The lawsuit regarding the Constitutionality of the HQL has been shelved until the "assault weapon" and standard capacity magazine ban has been addressed.

The quickest way to get the laws overturned would have been through referendum, but that horse has been beat to death and the ship sailed a long time ago. So, now the best hope is with the courts. After that, the only hope left is the polls or moving to another state.

I have doubts that a referendum would have passed in MD, any more than a referendum granting full & equal rights to black citizens would have passed in Alabama in 1960.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom