• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Note: This was a short function zero session. BenL has a much more scholarly work in rifle forum for accuracy.

Friday 5/20 @ AAFG

Zeroed for 50 yards

The Rifle:

VLTOR VIS mid
    Noveske 10" SS barrel
    VLTOR VC-1 FH (will change to AAC 51T)
    Magpul BUIS
    PRI Gas buster (intended to mostly shoot suppressed when SDN-6 gets here)
    Noveske sbr lower
    geisselle SSA trigger
    norgon ambi catch
    tango down BG-16 FDE
    Magpul mil spec CTR FDE
    VLTOR buffer tube
    H2 buffer
    KNS pins
    Aimpoint T-1 riding larue mount
    magpul pmags in 20

The objective:

See if the damn thing worked and zero with T-1 for 50 yards

Ammo:

220gr remmy subsonic factory
    120ish grain .300 whisper loaded by Mike at Midcounty to test supersonic function.

I zeroed it at 50 yards with the "mike load" first. Recoil was pleasant more of a push but still quite AR like. No sled or vise just from the bench i managed a 3 shot group that was like a 1" equilateral triangle. Not bad as I wasn't concentrating a lot. I was glad to confirm that the .300 whisper works in the AAC.

I then printed the unsupressed subsonic stuff. Same size groups but 1.5 - 2 inches low at 50 yards.

Overall i'm happy. The gun will likely run with the SDN-6 in place most of the time. If remmy would get off their dead asses and get some supersonic ammo out there I'd be a lot happier. Rsilvers is telling everyone "it's coming" but I feel like a jew waiting for Christ.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Got to the range Monday. Canuck, I started a thread and you can see there what the rifle you fired did. It was more of a fun day, so I didn't set at the bench trying to get supper groups. It is an impressive rifle I think.

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD

Look at that guy's ear-to-ear grin. I've been on this bandwagon ever since I learned about .300 Whisper in gunsmith school. Glad to see it's actually gaining legitimacy.

Nice build, canuck. How's that PRI gas buster working out for you? I hear about 50/50 "it's nice" vs. "it's a waste of money". From what I understand KAC makes something very similar to the PRI, and have not heard complaints about that.

Look at that guy's ear-to-ear grin. I've been on this bandwagon ever since I learned about .300 Whisper in gunsmith school. Glad to see it's actually gaining legitimacy.

Nice build, canuck. How's that PRI gas buster working out for you? I hear about 50/50 "it's nice" vs. "it's a waste of money". From what I understand KAC makes something very similar to the PRI, and have not heard complaints about that.

I won't have a real feeling about the PRI until I get a can on there. Until then its opinion only. Will keep everyone posted.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

Is KAC's exactly the same? I'm a lefty, so the gasbuster won't work for me (actually, it would do the exact opposite: direct gas right into my face.)

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    253890_10150203554795919_95700145918_7532137_1372689_n.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I am confused I thought 300 whisper was a different cartridge. Is there any value to these things without a can. That cmmg upper at aim is nice for the money.

I am confused I thought 300 whisper was a different cartridge. Is there any value to these things without a can. That cmmg upper at aim is nice for the money.

It is a different cartridge "sort of". MIke from midcounty or rsilvers can explain the subtleties. I shot some .300W that mike had made through my noveske .300AAC. No issues.

Without a can - : Ok so the thing is you have .30 cal projectile with essentially AK type ballistic performance without having the supply chain nightmare like you have with the 6.8SPC and the 6.5G. To convert a weapon to .300AAC or .300W for that matter all you need is a barrel. The bolt head and mags are homogenous since the.300s are "necked up" .223s. So you have standard 30 round pmags and such that will actually hold 30 rounds. When LMT comes out with a .300 barrel for their MRP this will be sweet because you can swap those barrels in under 2 minutes. Then you truly will have a "system".

Think of the .300 as a 0-250 yard or so bell ringer. It's almost twice the weight of the heaviest 5.56. Much beyond that distance it seems to drop like a rock. AAC has a propaganda sight http://300aacblackout.com/

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    It is a different cartridge "sort of". MIke from midcounty or rsilvers can explain the subtleties. I shot some .300W that mike had made through my noveske .300AAC. No issues.

Without a can - : Ok so the thing is you have .30 cal projectile with essentially AK type ballistic performance without having the supply chain nightmare like you have with the 6.8SPC and the 6.5G. To convert a weapon to .300AAC or .300W for that matter all you need is a barrel. The bolt head and mags are homogenous since the.300s are "necked up" .223s. So you have standard 30 round pmags and such that will actually hold 30 rounds. When LMT comes out with a .300 barrel for their MRP this will be sweet because you can swap those barrels in under 2 minutes. Then you truly will have a "system".

Think of the .300 as a 0-250 yard or so bell ringer. It's almost twice the weight of the heaviest 5.56. Much beyond that distance it seems to drop like a rock. AAC has a propaganda sight http://300aacblackout.com/

Interesting, I reload so that isnt as big od a deal. Is the bullet .308 or .310? Though I am going to try some low velocity 7.62*39 loads soon in my bolt gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom