• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    teflon tape?

i wouldnt do that.. it will melt and it will be hard to remove it later.. use a proper anti-sieze lube.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    teflon tape?

i wouldnt do that.. it will melt and it will be hard to remove it later.. use a proper anti-sieze lube.

hmmm, looking around muzzleloader resource places everyone was suggesting teflon tape. Good anti-seize lube it is.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    they do make anti-seize tape.. it is a bit cleaner than the lube.

0518032.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    they do make anti-seize tape.. it is a bit cleaner than the lube.

0518032.jpg

yup, that's the stuff. The general consensus when i was reading around was that the tape prevents blow-by better, keeps it from seizing better, and is cleaner. They also said it doesn't matter pink or white, as most didn't really notice a difference in performance.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    I use TC gorilla grease on my breech plug threads and it works great!!! The trick to inlines is to not over tighten the breech plug. Keeping them clean helps, too. Most breech plug threads are tapered and do not need to be torqued heavily. Snug and a little more is the golden rule for me.:thumbsup:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    yup, that's the stuff. The general consensus when i was reading around was that the tape prevents blow-by better, keeps it from seizing better, and is cleaner. They also said it doesn't matter pink or white, as most didn't really notice a difference in performance.

gotcha! when i read the teflon tape.. i thought you were talking about plumbers tape.. :o my bad.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I use TC gorilla grease on my breech plug threads and it works great!!! The trick to inlines is to not over tighten the breech plug. Keeping them clean helps, too. Most breech plug threads are tapered and do not need to be torqued heavily. Snug and a little more is the golden rule for me.:thumbsup:

thanks:thumbsup: I just did a finger-tight(but not finger torqued) tightening on the breech plug. For the moment, I just put some synthetic bearing grease on it. Looks like i'll finish scrubbing down the plug and breech tomorrow and pick up some gorilla grease.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

I didn't realize they were tapered threads,in that case it might help to try and tighten it a tad to break it loose, like plumbing fittings.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    Be sure to degrease both the threads of the breech plug and of the barrel. Anything petroleum based(even some synthetics) can foul your powder. TC gorilla grease is water based and won't foul your powder. If you are ever in a pinch and can't get gorilla grease,
    TC's Bore Butter will work, too, but only in a pinch. A little dab will do ya.:thumbsup:

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    I didn't realize they were tapered threads,in that case it might help to try and tighten it a tad to break it loose, like plumbing fittings.

Most that I have encountered are tapered, but not all are. I usually wind up using a lot of Kroil and my trusty air powered impact wrench to remove the stuck ones.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Bore butter is probably the worst products to use for breech plugs. BB dries hard and is it not a grease / oil. I have a small 2 oz tube of Knight Breech Plug Grease that I have been using for almost 10 years now. You don't need much and all breech plug grease is, is green bearing grease, you can buy a whole tube of this stuff at walmart for .96 cents. As far as it being stuck, you only have to screw the breech plug in until it stops, and it it a hair of torque to keep in there, never "tighten" the plug like your trying to make it stay in there.

As for getting it out. If it's that bad, spray some "brake-kleen" down the barrel and let the gun set up right for a few hours and it may just unscrew as normal. Brake-Kleen is some heavy duty stuff from CRC at the auto parts store, ask for it by name. While you're there pick up a tube of Bearing grease or Lithium grease.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Bore butter is probably the worst products to use for breech plugs. BB dries hard and is it not a grease / oil. I have a small 2 oz tube of Knight Breech Plug Grease that I have been using for almost 10 years now. You don't need much and all breech plug grease is, is green bearing grease, you can buy a whole tube of this stuff at walmart for .96 cents. As far as it being stuck, you only have to screw the breech plug in until it stops, and it it a hair of torque to keep in there, never "tighten" the plug like your trying to make it stay in there.

As for getting it out. If it's that bad, spray some "brake-kleen" down the barrel and let the gun set up right for a few hours and it may just unscrew as normal. Brake-Kleen is some heavy duty stuff from CRC at the auto parts store, ask for it by name. While you're there pick up a tube of Bearing grease or Lithium grease.
    after unsticking it and cleaning the entire gun/coating it's exterior in rust prevent, i put together a care package of some cva breechplug/nipple antiseize, a 50 cal bore-snake with instructions for frequently cleaning it, and a replaced the breech plug with a new one since the old one was pitted so badly. Hopefully it won't be an issue anymore. This thread has been a great source of info for me. Keeps my faith in the members here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom