• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    Hey guys, Newbie AR15 owner here. Totally clueless to all things AR, I just knew I wanted one forever. Got a good deal on a Colt 6721 and had to jump on it.

My main question is I'd like to do some minor customizations. Starting with replacing the handguards.

I went with the following...

https://unique-ars.com/shop/hand-guards/oval/

I thought the length of the handguard was simply dependent on how much of the barrel I wanted to show (or not show).

I went with a 12 inch handguard actual length 11.815. Then I did more reading and starting learning about the gas tube and how the length of that tube determines the length of the handguard?

Does anyone know if the aforementioned handguard and length would suffice for my Colt 6721 taking into consideration the gas tube.

By the way, go easy on me. I own plenty of handguns and little M&P 15-22 but this is my first real AR.

Thanks in advance.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Are you taking the front sight off, because that fixture is part of your gas system and requires gunsmith skills. On the 6721 you have 8" carbine hand guards on now correct?

Oh, and welcome to the Forum. It's great when new folks can go to the INTRODUCTIONS thread and introduce themselves.

lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    Yes my intent was to take the front sight off. Didn't realize gunsmithing skills was required. So it's not as simple as the YouTube videos I saw removing the front sight?

I'm not in front of the gun now, but 8" sounds about right. I believe they're standard M4 handguards? Here's what mine looks like....

http://fidelisfirearms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/AR6721-RHS.jpg

So it sounds like swapping the handguards isn't going to be an easy task.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You are welcome to try getting that pin out but gunsmiths have experience that can prevent marring the barrel if you slip or miss with your tools .

Someone else can weigh in on this.

lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    So the gunsmithing you referred to was really just about getting the sight itself off? It seemed fairly simple, bang those pins out slide it off. But you mentioned that was part of the gas tub connection?

So I guess I'm wondering if I can get that sight off, will the handguards I mentioned above work?

BTW thank you for your input!

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    I'm pretty sure the rail your ordering is a free float rail, I would think the stock handguard is held with the delta ring. If that is the case, you will need to remove the front sight, the barrel. This will let you use their barrel nut which is different for the free float handguard.

Might seem complicated but with the right tools its a 30 minute job.

I should add, you will also need to either cut the front sight post or get a new low profile gas block as well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you have to have a free-float setup, you'll need to take the upper apart. If you just want a railed handguard, get the Surefire version. It's pricey, but it's rock solid and once installed properly does not move at all.

lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    Thank you, I wouldn't know a free float from a non-free float. But I guess my concern is that gas tub. What does it connect to with the new handguard. Here's a video of UniqueARS installation process if this helps with the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTZWInaSb4A

On the last step, they said "with the gas tub inserted" but I see some sort of piece on the barrel the gas tube connects to. My confusion is Rack&Roll states the fixed front sight (that I'm removing) is what the gas tube connects to. So without it where is that gas tube connecting? In the video they show some piece before installing the new handguard but fail to say where it came from.

I also read the length of your handguard (that you purchase) depends on the length of your gas tube.

Am I overthinking this?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you're taking off the front sight, which I don't recommend, you'll need a new gas block. If you want the gas block to fit under the hand guard, you need a low profile version. Or you could take a grinder to the front sight and make your own. Either way, you'll need to get the front sight off to take the barrel off to install the new handguard.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome. Posting an introduction is available to you , and may well give us helpful background. OTOH , I'm never done an Intro on any Forum , and so far it hasn't caused cancer , YMMV.

The first link must have a bazillion pictures , because I gave up getting it to load on my antiquated 'crackberry after 10min , so I'll make some general comments.

It is as easy as slipping on icy steps to replace your stock handgaurds with a 2 piece 8in handgaurds.

Anything freefloating will require you to do *somthing* regarding front sight assy. At the least remove it , and later re-pin . Depending on length, you might have to use a low profile gas block , and make alternative arrangements for a front sight . ( Yes it is wise to have at least backup iron sight capability .)

Personally I like my AR's basic black , naked , and dripping wet , but these days seems to be a minority opinion.

lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    Thanks guys. I think it's all coming together now. Removing the front sight requires me to purchase a low pro gas block (that piece I saw in the video that confused me), since it sounds like my front sight (stock) is also a gas block?

I'm not that worried about front or rear sights since I'm going with a magnified scope. This might change later. But i'm no professionals shooter, just plinking for fun. Again that whole sights thing might change.

Maybe I'll just be totally lazy and leave it to the gun shop if it doesn't cost much to do this.

BTW: I did post an intro to the proper thread. I'm more of a privacy nut so I kept it short and sweet.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Why don't you take the rifle out and shoot it before you start tearing it apart, you might like the way it is now.
    You say you no nothing about the 6721 but you want to start tearing it apart already, makes sense to me.:sad20:

lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    Buff:

You may very well be right. My tearing apart is for aesthetics, not to improve it's shooting. That probably annoys the real gun lovers, ex-military, LEOs etc, but in my world, I'm going to have fun shooting it regardless. Not trying to be a marksmen, I enjoy shooting period. So these changes boil down to making my new toy look sexy.

"Don't judge me". :)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Buff:

You may very well be right. My tearing apart is for aesthetics, not to improve it's shooting. That probably annoys the real gun lovers, ex-military, LEOs etc, but in my world, I'm going to have fun shooting it regardless. Not trying to be a marksmen, I enjoy shooting period. So these changes boil down to making my new toy look sexy.

"Don't judge me". :)

Put the optics on before you take the front sight off, you'll never see it in the scope.;)

lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    I thought about that, but my handguard is going to require removal or at least relocation of the front sight? I'm assuming I'd need a riser also? Told you I was a AR newb!

Here's a really dumb question. I'm embarrassed just asking half these questions. But I gotta learn somewhere. I see some people with flip down front sights. They look like my stock rear sight. I assume that rear sight could be moved to the front? Allowing me to get rid of the big triangular sight?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There are a multitude of different flip up sights of every configuration, style , and price point.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Your gas tube will remain the same length, the length won't change unless you change to a different barrel with a different length gas system; pistol, carbine, mid, rifle length.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    This is just me, but I would not take off or replace the front sight until you take it out for a couple of range sessions.

Buff7mm is correct about the fact that when you put a magnified scope on your AR the front sight effectively "disappears" from view. Really, try this first before you start cutting, grinding and banging on pins.

Leaving that front sight post on your AR means the sight is sitting right there ready to go to work the moment you want to take the scope off the rifle and set up the AR for a home defense weapon on short notice using just iron sights.

There are plenty of cool 8" carbine length hand guards that you can swap out in seconds to suit your needs.

Your AR is kind of like a new relationship. You really ought to take her out for a few "dates" before you start banging away on her.

lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    Fair enough. I'll mount the scope (arrives today), leaving front sight in tact and see how it goes.

LOL@home defense. I have a 9mm for that in a safe next to my bed. With young children, having an AR lying around or trying to get it from a large gun safe isn't feasible.

With regard to your analogy regarding the AR being like a new relationship and taking her out for a few dates before I start banging away...

I actually prefer to skip the dates and start banging immediately. lol. It's like a luxury car, once I pull it off the lot I go right to getting some beautiful wheels (beautiful not tacky). Why? Because my vehicle will stand out and looks 10xs better than stock wheels. Like aftermarket wheels on a new car, it's not for everyone.

I saw that video, not interested in all those mods. I just want a cool looking handguard and a scope. Something to make it look cool. I would have considered building an AR if I knew the first thing about them. It's about looks for me, not improving accuracy. I shoot for fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom