• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juche90

May 10, 2014
    Sounds like it would be easier to get a new upper altogether.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    As someone that's built a few AR's. I think your going a too far too soon. If you dont have an understanding that of gas tube lengths and that the front sight post is part of the gas block then I don't think you have enough understanding of how that AR operates yet. I'm not saying you wont one day, but not yet. Knocking out the pins on the FSP is a hella of a lot harder than you think its going to be. Also, that rail is hideous. I promise, no I guarantee you will regret it down the road. Take your time, fire your weapon, do more research, and you will start to get an better idea of what you want to do to your rifle, and how to do it. I apologize for being an AR snob. Have fun!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Lexus
    I just looked at the link in your OP, couldn't see it earlier on my phone, and you'll need a low profile gas block since the hand guard will slide over the gas block and the gas block will be located where it is now. Your also going to need a barrel nut wrench to replace the stock barrel nut with the nut supplied with the handguard, also you'll need a torque wrench to properly torque the barrel nut when reassembling the upper.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Shoot it the way it is. If that's not good enough buy a Magpul or some other Carbine length hand guard for around $50.

If looks are what your into you will look much cooler if you can hit your target rather than if you have a fancy gun. Take a class with it and learn how amazing the platform truly is. Good luck. :)

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It's your rifle. You can do what you want. That said, the handguard you picked is fugly. You might want to look around a little bit more.

If you do change to a free float. You can cut the sight tower off the front sight base. This keeps the gas block in place and allows you to take off the barrel nut and delta ring. There are even some free float rails that use the stock barrel nut. (Fortis comes to mind)

Whatever you decide, good luck and welcome to the forum.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It's your rifle. You can do what you want. That said, the handguard you picked is fugly. You might want to look around a little bit more.

If you do change to a free float. You can cut the sight tower off the front sight base. This keeps the gas block in place and allows you to take off the barrel nut and delta ring. There are even some free float rails that use the stock barrel nut. (Fortis comes to mind)

Whatever you decide, good luck and welcome to the forum.

No he can't... He has to take the gas system off, before attempting to remove the stock barrel nut, doe to how the gas tube fits into the notches of the barrel nut. No matter how he plays this game, he will have to remove the gas block, if he puts a free floated rail on. He has to remove the delta ring and spring, and unless he cuts them off, he will have to remover the barrel nut.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Take a look at the pictures on that website. Unless that's a .22 or a 9mm upper they didn't even take the time to install a gas tube. The threaded portions of the handguard don't line up on the 3 o'clock position. The recessed retaining screws on the barrel not don't even make proper contact as seen from the pictures.

O.P. you may see cool, but I see a problem brewing with that handguard.

You don't need to cut the front sight off to use a scope if you use the proper height base/riser. Leave the gas system alone, its solid and reliable. An aftermarket unpinned gas block is not reliable as the factory front sight base. The factory front sight is also your gas block and its taper pinned. You are about to make a solid and reliable rifle less reliable. You won't think its cool when if it won't run right.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Buff:

You may very well be right. My tearing apart is for aesthetics, not to improve it's shooting. That probably annoys the real gun lovers, ex-military, LEOs etc, but in my world, I'm going to have fun shooting it regardless. Not trying to be a marksmen, I enjoy shooting period. So these changes boil down to making my new toy look sexy.

"Don't judge me". :)

Your front site post will be easier to remove if you don't fire the gun first. Spray all the pins with PB Blaster or squirt them with Kroil a few times over several days, and let them marinate, and it will make getting the pins out much easier. Sounds like you'll need a low profile gas block. Midwest Industries has steel ones with 3 set screws which should serve your needs. Good company to deal with and they make a nice free float hand guard also.

Feb 28, 2013
    I would suggest the OP leaving his Colt rifle stock, and building a custom one if that's what he wants. I would think that it's less work to go that route than trying to convert an existing rifle.

lexus

Feb 12, 2015
    Somewhere in MD
    Thank you everyone. This thread both annoyed me and taught me a lot about what is needed to get the job done.

Annoying because people don't seem to respect that people want what they want. That what you might find ugly, others like. I can almost feel the age ranges based on some comments. I'm 34, I'm not a veteran, LEO, or a marksman guys. I enjoy shooting for fun and that's about it. I want to customize my gun to what appeals to me aesthetically (since let's face it we live in MD, we won't get to shoot as much as we want), and those saying I'm "doing too much too soon" I thought changing handguards was one of the milder mods.

Yes everyone wants to keep the iron sights, and after shooting it maybe I will to. But you can't miss what you never had. If I start shooting with my magnified scope and I hit the target who cares how I did it? You may, but I don't. It's fun, period. If I totally suck and require iron sights, you can say "told you so".

By the way I take no offense, every forum to me is like a dysfunctional family. Every one wants to be there to help out, "care" for one another, but you also have the belligerents, and the drunk uncle in the corner shouting profanities, or telling you what you should have done. lol.

Nevertheless opinions aside I learned a lot here. That video I originally posted of Unique ARs installing a handguard confused the hell out of me because for one I didn't realize my sight was also part of the gas block. Hell I didn't know what a gas block was. Then the video showed reassembly with the new handguard but already had a low profile gas block on it. Confusing because they skipped that part. Shoddy video editing, or they thought it was obvious whereas a newbie like me didn't know.

So it appears that due to the length of my handguard, the front sight will have to come off, or at least be moved up much farther (not sure if that is even useful).

New low profile gas block will be required.

By the way while I'm confident I could do it all myself, I've decided to let my gun shop handle it. Mainly because it's likely not worth it for me to screw with it since these are likely the only mods I'll ever do to it, can't see dropping boatloads of money on this and it won't get much use. If I lived in GA it might be a different story.

I'm just babbling now but whoever said I wouldn't notice the front sights with my magnified scope was right. But my handguard is longer than stock so that front sight has to come off or move up to the front.

I went with a SIG TAC CP1 Prismatic Scope with Illuminated Reticle, while I haven't used it in a range environment yet, it's pretty nice for a cheapo (again with my limited AR and scope knowledge).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    lexus, a piece of advice here. Listen to what clandestine says about firearms. A lot of what I know about my AR is from reading his posts, where he was responding to other people.

If you are ever in the mood to build an AR from just parts, speak up! Somebody probably lives near you and would be willing to help you out. Another member helped me assemble my first AR lower, and since then, my love building rifles has increased. A few weeks ago, a friend (another member, but I knew him long before MDS) and I, made the trek to another members house to put together my upper in 300BLK. He had the tools and a mini-range, so I could test fire the new upper.

We may be a dysfunctional family, but once you get used to us, you will become good friends with at least one person from on here.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    No he can't... He has to take the gas system off, before attempting to remove the stock barrel nut, doe to how the gas tube fits into the notches of the barrel nut. No matter how he plays this game, he will have to remove the gas block, if he puts a free floated rail on. He has to remove the delta ring and spring, and unless he cuts them off, he will have to remover the barrel nut.

The gas tube can be unpinned at the gas block and taken off. You do not need to take off the gas block to remove the gas tube.

After shaving off the sight post from the FSB, and probably the bayonet lug. The barrel nut and delta ring will fit over your newly created low profile gas block. You can the put on whatever freefloat system you want.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you everyone. This thread both annoyed me and taught me a lot about what is needed to get the job done.

Annoying because people don't seem to respect that people want what they want. That what you might find ugly, others like. I can almost feel the age ranges based on some comments. I'm 34, I'm not a veteran, LEO, or a marksman guys. I enjoy shooting for fun and that's about it. I want to customize my gun to what appeals to me aesthetically (since let's face it we live in MD, we won't get to shoot as much as we want), and those saying I'm "doing too much too soon" I thought changing handguards was one of the milder mods.

Yes everyone wants to keep the iron sights, and after shooting it maybe I will to. But you can't miss what you never had. If I start shooting with my magnified scope and I hit the target who cares how I did it? You may, but I don't. It's fun, period. If I totally suck and require iron sights, you can say "told you so".

By the way I take no offense, every forum to me is like a dysfunctional family. Every one wants to be there to help out, "care" for one another, but you also have the belligerents, and the drunk uncle in the corner shouting profanities, or telling you what you should have done. lol.

Nevertheless opinions aside I learned a lot here. That video I originally posted of Unique ARs installing a handguard confused the hell out of me because for one I didn't realize my sight was also part of the gas block. Hell I didn't know what a gas block was. Then the video showed reassembly with the new handguard but already had a low profile gas block on it. Confusing because they skipped that part. Shoddy video editing, or they thought it was obvious whereas a newbie like me didn't know.

So it appears that due to the length of my handguard, the front sight will have to come off, or at least be moved up much farther (not sure if that is even useful).

By the way while I'm confident I could do it all myself, I've decided to let my gun shop handle it. Mainly because it's likely not worth it for me to screw with it since these are likely the only mods I'll ever do to it, can't see dropping boatloads of money on this and it won't get much use. If I lived in GA it might be a different story.

I'm just babbling now but whoever said I wouldn't notice the front sights with my magnified scope was right. But my handguard is longer than stock so that front sight has to come off or move up to the front.

I went with a SIG TAC CP1 Prismatic Scope with Illuminated Reticle, while I haven't used it in a range environment yet, it's pretty nice for a cheapo (again with my limited AR and scope knowledge).

Pretty condescending post.

Good luck.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I have the same model Colt. My suggestion echoes others. Get another upper. That way you have the original with iron sights plus whatever sexy upper you get. I just bought an Engage Armaments E4 for $699. It's a flat top so you can mount whatever optics you want. I am installing a match trigger in the lower. I also have a Tac Sol upper for 22lr that works great with the Colt lower.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=168050

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I concur with Daemon Assassin with respect to Clandestine. He has been my Obi-Wan with respect to ARs I, too am not far in the way of the AR. He has been very patient and detailed with me on matters AR. Like others have said, probably best to build another upper with your specifications. That way you can go back the original, if you like. The built out one can be modified as often as you wish. Plus, it gives you an excuse to get another lower so both can be available :). Be careful, these tend to multiply like tribbles.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

The more I think about it, the more I am seeing that you might not be able to play well with others that were offering suggestions, ideas, or sharing their knowledge, because it didn't conform to that you wanted to do.

If you are such a n00b, it might be advisable for you to sit down and listen to those, who have been down the path you want to go. I learned my lessons the hard way with my first AR. I spent money I didn't need to, on the accessories and other useless crap. If you want to get more accuracy out of a rifle, free floating the barrel is a good start, but you need to practice with it first, so you can figure out what its personality is.

You want to mount a scope? Go for it.

You want to remove the gas block and get a lowpro gas block? Nothing is stopping you.

You want to act like a condescending (fill in the blank)? Go right ahead, but realize that you will be shut out and ignored, by the members that will remember your shenanigans, due to your attitude in this thread.

You have been on other forums, have you? They might be more your speed.

Enjoy and best of luck on your butchery of a fine rifle.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    You decided to be a dick to the wrong person.

I am newish to ARs. Yesterday, one of mine decided to act up. Within 5min of my PM to clandestine, I had the solution along with a link to the correct vendor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom