• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hello let me start off by saying I love this Rifle and how it shoots! Now I would like to make it better in my eyes and serve and different purpose.
    I want to take off the front A2 sight and Carry handle and add a scope. I am going to need a a gas block and rail system to mount
    the front back up sight. Now Is this doable? and if so what gas block would I need? and what would be a decent quad rail that will fit the HBC? any and all input will be helpful! thanks in advance!

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    If you love it, keep it and get (or build) another upper to swap depending on your mood. You'll love it twice as much!

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    you could always chop the front sight and install a free float hand guard over it. I did this fairly easily with one of my rifles.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you don't want to spend the $$ for another upper. Chopping the FSB is the best solution to do the free-float handguard.

It's the most secure method of retaining the block, and accommodating a free float rail.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    Not to hijack the OP's thread, but when you chop the front A2 sight, do you have to remove it first? Or can you just (carefully) cut it down with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel while still on the barrel?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cut it down on the barrel, sand it flush, touch it up with your choice of paint/finish.

A lot easier than some would believe.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    Here is what was my A2 FSB after chopping, grinding and painting.

Attachments

• CAM00026.jpg
      CAM00026.jpg
      45.7 KB · Views: 338
    • CAM00031.jpg
      CAM00031.jpg
      27.1 KB · Views: 348

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    If you are looking for a project, you could chop them off. Or you could buy a separate upper with the characteristics you want and either keep or sell the other upper receiver. I personally would go with the latter, but that is just me. Chopping something up doesn't seem like that much fun to me and it could hurt the resale value if you ever decide to sell it in the future.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry I completely forgot that I posted this. I didn't get any notifications so that's why I didn't respond.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

So what kind of upper do you currently have? I'd personally go with a separate upper as any system with a pinned FSB will be more sturdy than a non-pinned railed gas block. Plus you can get a better/longer/whatever barrel and do something different and still use the same lower. YMMV.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So currently I have a windham weaponary hbar with the standard upper that comes with the Lower. It has a A2 front sight. What I would like to do is "un pin" the sight and have a regular gas block added if possible. I m pretty sure I can't change the upper due to the whole "hbar" designation. Hate Maryland laws.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just chop it. The method of securing is vastly better than what you'll get by swapping to a low profile gas block.

The rails going to cover it anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom