• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • czechboy

Apr 27, 2011
    Hello everyone, I finally received my license in the mail today. I'm a long time lurker of the site and I currently own a Izzy Mosin but now I'm ready for my first hand gun purchase.

I'm debating between the Walther P1 and the Yugo M57. I would love to get a CZ-82(Since I'm Czech and all) but I have huge hands and I feel that the gun would be a little too small for me. I have a $350 budget, so I could afford either one. Widener's has the P1 with alloy frame and pin for $318 and the M57 for $189 with 2 mags.

I've read through tons of threads and learned a lot but I'm still totally undecided :sad20:. Basically I want a good shooter that wont lose its value down the road, no ammo problems in the future, and one that my girlfriend wont have any issues shooting by herself.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The CZ82 is not that small. See if you can test fit one before buying. I have monkey hands and they fit fine. I believe the grip on the Yugo Tok are thinner so feel smaller than the CZ82. Maybe someone that has both handy can check. The 82 has a few different grip replacement options. The Tokarev caliber is not that great for beginners. The 9mm Mak is much more suitable... except in a P64.

I have a P38 and I believe the CZs are more fun as shooters because they feel more modern, especially the 82. Some people really like the P1/38 YMMV

If you get into it, you will end up owning them all, so it really does not matter.;)

None of them will lose value for two reasons. Firstly they are not making them anymore and second you are buying at surplus prices, not retail. Once the surplus market is gone the prices go up.

Last edited:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If you are Czech, shouldn't you own a Czech Mauser? How about CZ52 with a 9mm conversion kit, if they are still available. I have a M57 as the companion sidearm to my Yugo SKS. Or just get a CZ75, that's the pistol I am saving and scraping for.

=GoMango=

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anne Arundel Co.
    If you are Czech, shouldn't you own a Czech Mauser? How about CZ52 with a 9mm conversion kit, if they are still available. I have a M57 as the companion sidearm to my Yugo SKS. Or just get a CZ75, that's the pistol I am saving and scraping for.

I picked up a CZ75 BD Police pistol from keep Shooting a few months ago.
    Great pistol !
    Might be my favorite 9mm.

Attachments

• CZ 75 BD Police.jpg
      CZ 75 BD Police.jpg
      41 KB · Views: 316

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    i have huge hands and the cz-82 is extremely comfortable to shoot, its probably not as small as you think, due to its excellent and relatively modern erganomics its actually an extremely comfortable shooter for anyone regardless of handsize imo.

ive had people range from very small to very large (myself lol) shoot it and everyone likes the feel of it.

that said the p1 is an excellent pistol, i dont have one myself i have its older brother the p38 and its a great pistol to shoot and looks cool too, however as a shooter id still give the edge to the cz, the sights are better and i think its a lot more friendly to inexperienced shooters.

the yugo m57 will probably have more collectors value in the long term, but i wouldnt recommend it as a first shooter.

now of course my real recommendation is to buy them all lol, and maybe you will eventually.

if i had to make a recommendation and you have $350 to spend on the gun, id say buy a cz-82 as a shooter and grab a nagant revolver at the same time as an interesting collector that is fun to shoot on occasion, plus the only thing more awesome than getting your very first gun in the mail is getting your very first TWO at the same time :party29:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    FWIW my first C & R purchase was the P1 cause of the quality and I wanted my handguns to shoot modern, readily-avail ammo. Second was the CZ 82; I have small hands and enjoy both, so you're on the right track!

czechboy

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks for the all the replies guys. I sent in my paperwork 5 weeks ago, I was actually shocked when I got it this weekend. They took the money out last Wednesday and the license came the following Saturday.

So I finally bit the bullet, I purchased the P1 from Wideners last night:D. After being reassured about the size of the pistol, I will purchase the CZ-82 next.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Excellent choice! Sure to appreciate over time and be fun at the range too. Welcome to the world of "Chasing Relics"!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    You are going to like it.:thumbsup:

C&R is the crack addiction of firearms and every person on this forum is an enabler.:mad54:

You need a CZ57
    You need a CZ82
    You need a Luger P08
    You need a M57, Rom, Polish, and Russian Tok
    You need a Nagant
    You need a P64
    You need a Webley
    You need a Nambu
    You need a Broomhandle Mauser

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts