• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Well it's sitting next to my bed and I plan to install it next weekend. The directions sound like I need specific tools. Namely a gas cylinder lock wrench and pliers for the flash suppressor.

I like to do things myself but if it's going to cost me $50 to have a smith install it vs spending $100 on tools...I'll have the smith do it.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    The gas cylinder lock wrench you need to buy anyway if you value the accuracy of your rifle. Cranking on that gas plug to remove it without supporting the gas system with a wrench is not helpful to accuracy and over time can loosen up the fit between the gas cylinder and barrel. The wrench is cheap insurance.
    The castlenut pliers for the flash suppressor can be had pretty inexpensivly as well. Both tools together will cost nowhere near $100.

I don't have a SAGE stock but if I remember correctly to install the stock you will have to swap out the original M14 Op rod guide for the SAGE proprietary guide which attaches to the stock with screws. Good luck.

Weak_Hand_Only

Mar 17, 2010
    The wrench is highly recommended, I installed my stock the first time without any specific tools and it took me twice as long. I REALLY took my time making sure not to scratch or strip anything. The second time I had the tools and really makes a major difference. Good luck. Once it's together it's a real beauty. BTW, what mod/color did you get?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You can get the M14 buttstock tool kit for about $25. It has a multi tool with a gas block wrench. Castle nut pliers are $15-$16. I think Brownell's carries both.

You should have at least these tools anyway.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I got the Navy SEAL Grey one. Mostly because it was grey, not because they cleverly marketed it as Navy SEAL lol. I'll go find those tools. Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom