• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    Of course I want one but I really just don't understand the high cost of these guns compared to the Automatics and even other guns as a whole. I do get the craftsmanship part but that usually leads to a whole bunch of beautiful engraving and wood used. Not something I would think I would want to take out on the water or in the woods to go hunting with. I have an old 870 which does its job but would like to get a little more into shooting clays and some bird hunting. I would think the technology has not changed that much and would not think there would be as many moving parts that needed to be fitted as an auto so why such high costs in comparison.

That said I do like the O/U shotguns, have shot a few years ago but can't remember who made them. I shot an auto recently and just did not care for it. Ones I have shot in the past I did not care for either. Any recommendations for a decent beginner O/U for less that $1000 or even $800? I appreciate a decent wood finish but never have been one for all the engraving. I can appreciate it but it is just not for me.

I guess the real reason for the cost is quality and demand, just like everything else.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I have a mossberg silver pigeon in 20ga. I think i paid 600 for it. Great over under. It does not have all of the fancy features that some of the higher pricedbones have but it does have engraving. It looks like very cheap generic engraving but over all for the price i paid i am very pleased with it.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I have a CZ Redhead Deluxe with 28" barrels and have been thrilled with it to be honest. I may upgrade to a "B" gun strictly for sporting clays here soon, but with a full set of Carlson extended chokes I am still under $1k for it and would recommend it highly.:thumbsup:

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    You inspired my new ad in the FS forum. Lol. Good luck with whichever O/U you choose to go with. Lots of good info/advice on the topic on mds. Soak it all up, I know I did!

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    Thanks for all the responses. I saw the Stoegers at the box store sites and wondered about them. Need to stop by a few places and really compare. Luckily for me I don't think the wife is going to be too happy about this unless I wait until after the holidays so I have time to shop around. :sarcasm:

Feb 28, 2013
    Ruger Red Label.

I've shot one of those and like it. I have a Franchi Diamond.

I'd hate to recommend a Stoeger to the man if he's planning on getting into serious clay shooting. He'll wear one of those out in a hurry.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a Stoeger that's been back to them twice for failing to fire the lower barrel. It's third trip back is coming soon. Nothing F's up your concentration like hearing a random "click" when you were expecting a boom.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Don't know what to say about the high cost of o/u shotguns. Might have to do with them having two barrels and both of those barrels having to shoot to the same spot (saw a Stoeger that had the barrels shooting 2 feet apart from one another). Might have to do with their trigger having to be able to hit two firing pins, and not one. Might have to do with the good ones lasting 100,000+ rounds and then some.

Here are a couple "cheap" o/u shotguns for you:

You aren't the first one to ask this question.

Google "Why are over under shotguns so expensive" and you will get plenty of hits with plenty of subjective opinion. If the cost of a shotgun is determined by the amount of steel in it, then the o/u has a ton more steel than a semi-auto or pump. Might come down to fit and finish too.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Read the reviews of the Stoeger O/Us before making a decision. I had two at one time, BOTH were sent back for repairs, one of those was eventually returned completely as defective. Buy once cry once.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Ruger Red Label is the way to go. It's the only American made over/under, or it least it was about 5 years ago. I used mine for sporting clays. While not a Krieghoff or a Beretta, the fit and finish was very nice. Some shotgun guys came up to see mine and were surprised it was a Ruger.

Mine was 100% reliable. If there is a hiccup, Ruger has excellent customer service.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have a Ruger Red Label that I have used for skeet shooting for 20 years. Had to send it back to Ruger once. After about 10 years it started to double fire on me. Ruger fixed it at no charge and returned it within about 2 weeks. Apparently(as it was explaned to me) the gun was designed to be a field gun, and not for the high volume of fire of a regular skeet shooter. So even with the light skeet loads, after 15-20 thousand rounds some parts needed replacement.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have a Ruger Red Label that I have used for skeet shooting for 20 years. Had to send it back to Ruger once. After about 10 years it started to double fire on me. Ruger fixed it at no charge and returned it within about 2 weeks. Apparently(as it was explaned to me) the gun was designed to be a field gun, and not for the high volume of fire of a regular skeet shooter. So even with the light skeet loads, after 15-20 thousand rounds some parts needed replacement.

Wow! I haven't even come close to that round count. Typical Ruger customer service. No charge even though you put 20k rounds through it.

I bought mine new back in 2007. They then discontinued the Red Label for a few years, then reintroduced one about a year ago. The new one is at a cheaper price point. Ruger says that they were able to streamline production, but I wonder if they use cheaper parts than they did on the older versions. I'm thinking of getting another Red Label for my kid.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Tyler's (An IP here) had a decent OU at a very reasonable price a few weeks ago. I don't remember the brand name but I believe it was a Turkish or Eastern Europe import. As I recall it was around $500 or so, kind of plain looking but reportedly functions well and at the price not something you'd worry much about getting wet or dirty. I believe it came with a set of choke tubes and was compatible with the tubes of one of the major manufacturers too.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Go for broke, start with a B gun
    No one wants to hear it. I've tried to tactfully express that these "$500 dollar" OUs are a slight step above disposal, it's not getting through.

Truth is, $1k to $1,400 or so is the bottom of the price point for ANY worthwhile (used) dedicated target gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom