What's the best 4-wheeler out there for the money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Have you thought about a nice, older tractor? I know I'll get jumped on for that suggestion...

More bullet proof, easier maintenance and more versatile. You'll start putting food plots in and bush hogging everywhere.

Albeit, less exciting to drive and MUCH slower.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I have an Arctic Cat 400 4X4 I got in a trade for a car I couldn't sell a few years ago. It was a steal of a deal for me basically but if I were to buy one I would go with a bigger engine. I have not pulled anything or plowed anything with it and don't have a whole lot of other experience with ATVs, but it seems like a solid machine so far. I just would like to have more power, but who wouldn't?

My father in law has a John Deere Gator 2WD of which I've been very impressed by. Not terribly easy to get stuck even with 2WD and it has something like 1000 hours on it at this point and all he's changed is the tires.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Bulletproof to me was what we have on the farm, 2 late 1980's Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4's, air cooled, simple. They probably have thousands of miles on them with not much more than regular maintenance. I wish I could have found one in good shape when I was looking to buy, but all the one's I saw on Craigslist were pretty ragged out.

There was always mention of Polaris being the best for 4x4, and ground clearance, but I also saw an equal amount of "overheating" posts when I looked on the internet about them.

My choice ended searching for Yamaha or Honda, but I ended up with the Yamaha. My riding is WV Farm and mountain trails, slow paced, uneven, graded terrain. I could always manage with a little 300, plus I try to avoid mud so having a big bore and the big HP with a low gear was just an extra cost. I talked with a few people who had more experience than me with 4 wheelers too

Other than that, I use it for hauling wood at home, and other small tasks. I'm not totally convinced I would be happy, or need more power right now, it would just costs me more out of pocket money to do the same thing.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Polaris X2 500 efi.... Had mine for 7 yrs and still going strong.. Awesome for work or true 2 up play.. Turf mode rocks... The new 550's are even better as they've raised the radiator to more protected position.. Won't find a more versatile machine on the market.. BeSwift

Lunchbox

Nov 8, 2007
    AA Co.
    I just bought my first 4 wheeler... a brand new Polaris Sportsman 570 with power steering... Polaris took the 570 motor out of the RZR and put it in the Sportsman. None of the other brands with comparable options could touch the price on the 570 and after a test ride I was sold.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I like Ridersville also and am looking now for my new house in South Carolina I am considering a Honda Rancher 4x4 and a Polaris 400 HO or 570 EFI prices there make it worth driving up from SC to get one

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom