• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Windham was founded by the guy who founded Bushmaster. They may be a relative newcomer, but needless to say, the guy knows what he's doing.

Hey , Thanks for that bit of history. I never would have known that.
    I always thought a Windham was the clock Flavor-Flav wore around his neck.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hey , Thanks for that bit of history. I never would have known that.
    I always thought a Windham was the clock Flavor-Flav wore around his neck.
    LOL! I think you're right!

Colt is definitely the name people trust. Case in point, my M16 I used in basic training in 1989 was actually manufactured in 1971 according to the research I've done on it. (4,786,107 - number 98 in the rack - I've never forgotten it.)

I don't know if that rifle saw time in Vietnam, or if it was strictly a training weapon, but in its 18 years of existence in the US Army before I put my hands on it, there's no telling how many rounds went through it, how many times it had been taken apart, put back together, and how much dirt had gone through it, but it was still working pretty danged well for me.

http://namcom.foroactivo.com/t104-m16-serial-numbers
    4,701,901-4,844,400
    US Property marked M16A1.
    Windham seems to be coming on strong, and from everything I've heard and the little bit that I've seen, the rifles they are producing are truly top notch.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yeah I don't want to lose money on the .308. But would there be warranties on all the various parts of an AR build...

I built my precision AR (don't ask how much I spent, but I will say the barrel was about 450) over about 10 months. It was I take my time building it, or I sell some of the guns I own, to fund the project. Building it myself was the best decision I ever made, due to being able to take my time with it, learn how the platform goes together, gaining more of an understanding on how it operates, and the knowledge of how to replace any part I need to in the future. I'm currently sourcing parts for 3 lowers and will be putting them together within the next few months. It really isn't very hard to assemble a lower, all you need is a stock wrench, hammer, a punch, and some free time. Hell, I assemble lowers for friends of mine, because it is fun for me, and they are too lazy to do it themselves.

If you would want to see how easy it is to assemble a lower, you are welcome to join me the next time I put one together.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    you can never go wrong with Colt

While I hear what you are saying, a Colt is the only AR I have ever bought (and I have more than a few) that was such a POS right out of the box it literally went right back to the factory before even 1 round went through it, which in it's condition was an impossibility.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    I built my precision AR (don't ask how much I spent, but I will say the barrel was about 450) over about 10 months. It was I take my time building it, or I sell some of the guns I own, to fund the project. Building it myself was the best decision I ever made, due to being able to take my time with it, learn how the platform goes together, gaining more of an understanding on how it operates, and the knowledge of how to replace any part I need to in the future. I'm currently sourcing parts for 3 lowers and will be putting them together within the next few months. It really isn't very hard to assemble a lower, all you need is a stock wrench, hammer, a punch, and some free time. Hell, I assemble lowers for friends of mine, because it is fun for me, and they are too lazy to do it themselves.

If you would want to see how easy it is to assemble a lower, you are welcome to join me the next time I put one together.

I'd be up for that - when are you planning to build one?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'd be up for that - when are you planning to build one?

I can order the parts this week or in 2 weeks, need to let the better half know what I'm doing. Purchases over 200 bucks have to be discussed or at least mentioned, to the other person before they can happen. Once I order them, they should be here in about 3 days or so from JBO. I'd be able to do it on a weekend, TBD by your schedule and my schedule.

EDIT: If you pick up a stripped lower and all the parts for it, we can assemble it that day for you.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Colt is the only way to go in that price range. Money well spent.
    Resale,Resale Resale. The world knows what a Colt AR 15 is. And it will hold its value better that anyone else's Ar.

Windham what's a Windham ???? kinna sounds like a watch company.

Another good point. Resale value of a Colt will always be good. Lots of choices for OP to make but if he's not comfortable piecing together a gun I'd suggest a sub 1K Colt Hbar from Lou.
    But a good brand name lower and upper will also hold value if OP decides to build. Actually I'd like to to learn how to build one of my lowers. Have LRPK would only need stock kit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you have basic tool skills, building a lower is easy. If you are the type to hurt yourself and damage everything in sight when you try to use a screw driver, I would recommend just buying a completed lower. :)

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    I’d vote for Windham or some other company in the category of “ABC.”

If I’m going to hand over $1K to someone as thanks for totally disrespecting me, its not going to be going to Colt, it will go to some hottie, wearing spiked heels and a leather bikini and holding a whip.

Last edited:

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    I can order the parts this week or in 2 weeks, need to let the better half know what I'm doing. Purchases over 200 bucks have to be discussed or at least mentioned, to the other person before they can happen. Once I order them, they should be here in about 3 days or so from JBO. I'd be able to do it on a weekend, TBD by your schedule and my schedule.

EDIT: If you pick up a stripped lower and all the parts for it, we can assemble it that day for you.

Sounds familiar:). So in theory I could build out an HBAR carbine and have a nice trigger and MOA/Sub MOA capable barrel for around $700-$800?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Sounds familiar:). So in theory I could build out an HBAR carbine and have a nice trigger and MOA/Sub MOA capable barrel for around $700-$800?

Well.... I'm going to be assembling my 300 lower in front of you, so I'm going after some stuff that is non GI. But yes, you should be able to build an HBAR for 650 at the low end and the sky is the limit for you on the high end. There is a place out on the interwebz that I know of, that has good prices on fully assembled uppers. I did some looking on that site the other day and found some uppers that I'm saving up for, so that I can complete some other projects that I have going. Uppers are starting at 400 and going up from there.

Also just as a heads up, I'm figuring that my 300 is going to cost 800-900 for me to build it on my own.

EDIT:
    Quick math for you.

Stripped lower - 100
    LPK w/o trigger - 35
    ALG QMS trigger - 45

Total - 180

How much do you want to spend on a fully assembled upper?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Well.... I'm going to be assembling my 300 lower in front of you, so I'm going after some stuff that is non GI. But yes, you should be able to build an HBAR for 650 at the low end and the sky is the limit for you on the high end. There is a place out on the interwebz that I know of, that has good prices on fully assembled uppers. I did some looking on that site the other day and found some uppers that I'm saving up for, so that I can complete some other projects that I have going. Uppers are starting at 400 and going up from there.

Also just as a heads up, I'm figuring that my 300 is going to cost 800-900 for me to build it on my own.
    I'm in the market for an upper, as it were - might you have a linky to said AR spot online?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom