• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    This is not a Freds Sports bashing tread. If you want to bash them please make your own tread.
    I posted this because a lot of people will be interested. I know lots do not like the prices they ask or the service however it is still a resorce for us all and lot of people love them. This resource is going to be gone for a while and at the start of hunting season. People have bows there being repaired so them having a fire will impact a lot of us.

Really wash't bashing:sad20:. But to be honest, I wouldn't spend your money there and I do feel bad for all of the people who may have their Bows there awaiting repair.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Sad to see this. They have been my go to place for 22 ammo for the last 2 years. They are always nice to me in there.
    Fire and water damage really suck. I am guessing it was not too big of a fire in there or else they would not have been doing interior operations on a building that was high hazard building with out the possibility of being occupied.

Good luck Fred's staff if any of you are on here

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Personally, I have other shops closer to where I live and I seldom get to Waldorf. But I never wish harm or damage to any of our LGSs, whether I agree with their pricing/policies or not. Hoping they recover quickly from the damage.

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    They were my go to shop when I needed/wanted something now. They helped me several times when I needed a part or accessory for a firearm. Yes I have even purchased guns at a reasonable price from them.

Bought my first pistol from there. Didn't really get over that way much, but when I did go to Waldorf I stopped in. Prayers.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have heard that it was a burglary and arson. I hope they catch the blaster responsible.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    No matter what you thought of their prices, it's 1 more gun shop down and not good for all gun enthusiasts. I pray that Freds reopens back in MD rather than cut their losses and go to Va.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    As far as prices, Just like Speed Unlimited, they were expensive but if you need it now, you could get it.

Mar 4, 2013
    I have dear friends that work there and used to work there myself. Now all of my colleagues are unemployed. There is no telling how long they will remain closed.

Everyone has their opinion on this site about them but the fact is these people are firearms enthusiasts and supporters just like everyone else here.

I pray that if it was arson whomever is responsible is caught and felt with apropriately

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    shopped there for years

I liked Fred's, and I liked the people who worked there. They didn't always have what I wanted, and when they did, it was rarely at the best price anywhere,

And...

If you want to keep mom-and-pop stores in business, you HAVE to be willing to support them with your business. Stopping in to window shop then going to Bass Pro to save a few bucks is NOT the way to show your support.

I'm really glad the no one got hurt in this, and I honestly hope that when the perp(s) are caught, that they confess, then die slowly in a botched escape attempt.

I fully expect that the FBI will get in on this as soon as one gun turns up missing, and if it doesn't, I"ll want to know why.

Best wishes to my friends at Fred's, and I hope you rebuild and re-open soon.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have not heard if this was arson or not. Listening to the radio transmissions this morning the guys where having a hard time getting into the doors.
    Not saying it is related, about 2 or 3 weeks ago around 0700 the Halloween store right next door had a fire on the roof and I think that was a Sunday morning.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    They're history now? Been there since at least 1970ish.......... how about greasy ole delicious Jiffy's? :drool:

Unless they just went out of business a few weeks ago they apeared open and jiffys is alive and doing well.

I did just hear from a reliable sauce that a hole was cut in the roof that the fire fighters didn't cut.

somddude

Has a big Member
    Mar 14, 2010
    Brandywine, Marylandistan
    Unless they just went out of business a few weeks ago they appetead open and jiffys is alive and doing well

Not to derail, but Jiffy's? What is that?

Back on topic. I did occasional business with Fred's, they're definitely not the cheapest, but they're still around after how long? They must be doing something right. The people working there? Some were great, some not so much. However, I feel for all of them, hope they can repair and reopen soon for their sake.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I have dear friends that work there and used to work there myself. Now all of my colleagues are unemployed. There is no telling how long they will remain closed.

Everyone has their opinion on this site about them but the fact is these people are firearms enthusiasts and supporters just like everyone else here.

I pray that if it was arson whomever is responsible is caught and felt with apropriately

+1... I have been doing business with them for better than 25 years, started when I was forced to move to this state, by the AF... Bought oak furniture from them along with sporting goods, including firearms, etc.. While some of their prices were a little on the high side at times, I always felt like they cared about service after the sale and that's important to me... As a customer, I have "always" been treated with respect and appreciation... Sorry to see that some folks feel the need to hate bash and kick someone when they are down: To those individuals, what you reap is what you sow..:sad20:

Last edited:

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    ...If you want to keep mom-and-pop stores in business, you HAVE to be willing to support them with your business. Stopping in to window shop then going to Bass Pro (or the internet) to save a few bucks is NOT the way to show your support.

Absolutely true. The whining about prices at local "brick-and-mortar" stores is a recurring theme on most firearms forums. Similarly, there is frequent bemoaning that "We don't have any local gun-shops." Unsurprisingly, those two facts are very closely related.

If you want to have local shops then you have to patronize them. And you have to accept that they won't be able to match the very best prices that you can find on the internet.

...Best wishes to my friends at Fred's, and I hope you rebuild and re-open soon.

Concur 100%. Hopefully they reopen soon. I'll even make a special trip up there on the day they reopen to buy something to show my support.:thumbsup:

But given the political climate in MD and the whining about them on this forum, I would not blame them if they took this opportunity to move-on to greener pastures.:sad20:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    While I am sorry that they've had a fire (and possible burglary), put me in the group of people that have had more than one bad experience with Fred's.

I have been inside their store exactly twice, since 1988.

My thoughts are with those employees that have lost their jobs (for now) and their income(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom