• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Is this the number that appears on the front of the cancelled check (rather than the back)? If so, there is small, handwritten number on my check that reads 81430, which is way different. The CJIS on my app is dated March 22 and the check cleared on March 23.

Yes.

There is speculation of that number being assigned to you for tracking purposes. A member who currently re-applied after a denial 8 years ago had a number of 69XXX

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yes.

There is speculation of that number being assigned to you for tracking purposes. A member who currently re-applied after a denial 8 years ago had a number of 69XXX

Very odd way to go about keeping track. Unless they keep a copy of the check before cashing it, I can't think of a reason to write a tracking number on the check itself. Is there any evidence that the number reflects a running total of apps received since 5-306 was enacted? I see from an earlier post in this thread that a 3/13 app was given a number of 81225. http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1543675&postcount=18

If they are counting apps, my 3/22 app would be only 205 apps later for nine days. Since the the MSP is returning all apps received after the stay, it would appear that the MSP has only gotten roughly between 800 - 1000 apps since the order came out that they are actually processing. Or is this all wet?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My check cleared on 3/21 and has NO hand written numbers on it that I can see from the scan. As I posted somewhere earlier, submitted 3/13. I have not heard a word from MSP other than them taking my money.
    I wonder if the no number thing is relevant?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    esqappellate said:
    Very odd way to go about keeping track. Unless they keep a copy of the check before cashing it, I can't think of a reason to write a tracking number on the check itself. Is there any evidence that the number reflects a running total of apps received since 5-306 was enacted? I see from an earlier post in this thread that a 3/13 app was given a number of 81225. http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1543675&postcount=18

If they are counting apps, my 3/22 app would be only 205 apps later for nine days. Since the the MSP is returning all apps received after the stay, it would appear that the MSP has only gotten roughly between 800 - 1000 apps since the order came out that they are actually processing. Or is this all wet?

My check cashed 3/28, number 8150X. Same sequentially as the other two people who applied with me at the same time.

My guess is that it is an internal tracking number.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My check cleared on 3/21 and has NO hand written numbers on it that I can see from the scan. As I posted somewhere earlier, submitted 3/13. I have not heard a word from MSP other than them taking my money.
    I wonder if the no number thing is relevant?

I wonder too. Just trying to get a handle on the number of apps that MSP has actually received. If anyone has data on that, I would love to see it. It pertains to the State's "burden" argument in their stay papers.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    OK, I finally got a scanned copy of my cashed check from my bank. The resolution is very poor, but the number looks like: 81062. My app was submitted in-person on 3/6 and the check cashed on 3/8, so it has to be one of the first they received post-ruling.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So we can ascertain approximately 500 applications were submitted post-Woollard, pre-stay?

Handwritten numbers vary from 810XX to 815XX...

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    OK, I finally got a scanned copy of my cashed check from my bank. The resolution is very poor, but the number looks like: 81062. My app was submitted in-person on 3/6 and the check cashed on 3/8, so it has to be one of the first they received post-ruling.
    I trier to decipher my number and there's no way of telling the number, at least I can't make it out.

uscoastiee

Apr 20, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Most Up to Date

Alright, I've made the spreadsheet even better.

I've added a formula to tell you what your 90 day deadline is, with holidays and weekends included. So it shows the true 90 business days, or at least it should.

I've also added a column to count the number of days between the date the app was received by MSP and the date the FTF was held. I know some of you had over the phone interviews, but I didn't record that accurately when I built the spreadsheet, so the over the phone folks aren't considered in the average.

The average number of days for the 20 people that have had their FTF interview, was 23 days.

The yellow highlighted boxes mean I had to estimate the date, needed the date to make the formulas work correctly.

Thanks for all of your input and praises, and PM's with info to add!! I'll be following the thread and FB to add more names to the list and make updates, as they are posted.

Sounds like MSI is putting together a form on their site. I think the idea is, whoever has submitted an application can fill the form out with all of their app information. The form will make tracking all of the apps/data easier for MSI.

Update: Post #546 has the most up to date spreadsheet.

Attachments

• MD CCW.xlsx
      49.4 KB · Views: 81
    Last edited:

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

I've added a formula to tell you what your 90 day deadline is, with holidays and weekends included. So it shows the true 90 business days, or at least it should.

I've also added a column to count the number of days between the date the app was received by MSP and the date the FTF was held. I know some of you had over the phone interviews, but I didn't record that accurately when I built the spreadsheet, so the over the phone folks aren't considered in the average.

The average number of days for the 20 people that have had their FTF interview, was 23 days.

The yellow highlighted boxes mean I had to estimate the date, needed the date to make the formulas work correctly.

Thanks for all of your input and praises, and PM's with info to add!! I'll be following the thread and FB to add more names to the list and make updates, as they are posted.

Sounds like MSI is putting together a form on their site. I think the idea is, whoever has submitted an application can fill the form out with all of their app information. The form will make tracking all of the apps/data easier for MSI.

Great job. Question; Does COMAR say 90 days, or 90 working days?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

The reason some of the people can't open your file is that you need to save it in an older version of excel. Some people can't open your newer version.

charlesmd

Mar 8, 2012
    The reason some of the people can't open your file is that you need to save it in an older version of excel. Some people can't open your newer version.

it is very common these days office files uses the x extension, such as .docx, .xlsx, ect... If you have the older version, you can always download the MS Office Compatibility Pack for free

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's

coastie,
    Thanks for your hard work on this.
    Not that it matters to me, but if you're striving for 100% accuracy, I'm in St. Mary's County, not AA.
    navy

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    I basically held a "class" for some guys at work using the info from MSI on "how to"fill out your app. I also setup a Livescan appt for myself and 3 other co-workers. So you can basically take my
    Livescan date (3/22)
    App mailed (3/22)
    CJIS good boy ltr date (3/23) and
    Check cashed date (3/28)

and add three more to it if your tracking numbers.
    You can call them SS2 (Calvert), SS3 (St Mary's), and SS4 (St Mary's) if you want.
    and none of them have heard anything either. I'll keep you updated on thier progress as well.

uscoastiee

Apr 20, 2012
    Baltimore County
    It's me again!

Here is the link with directions on how to install Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack, it includes the file you'll need to download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3

Sorry if it's a pain, but Excel 2010 gives me better formula tools then the older versions. And attempting to manage two different versions of the same file will get me all kind of confused!! I'm the product of a public school education, I'm a simple folk!!

coastie,
    Thanks for your hard work on this.
    Not that it matters to me, but if you're striving for 100% accuracy, I'm in St. Mary's County, not AA.
    navy
    Navy, I guess I'll update your stuff, even though you're Navy!! :D (Totally playing!! Thanks for your service!!)

I've updated everyone's info from the PM's and posts. I'll throw the most updated copy up once a week, so I'm not littering the thread with attachments. If anyone needs the file sooner, PM me your email address and I'll get it to you as quick as I can.

Please feel free to PM me other ideas of what would be good to have on the spreadsheet.

Great job. Question; Does COMAR say 90 days, or 90 working days?
    According to MSP's site (http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/HandgunPermit.aspx), it looks like 90 business days.
    This is taken right off the website:
    "ALLOW 90 BUSINESS DAYS FOR THE COMPLETION OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS."
    If there is something that says otherwise, please let me know and I'll change it to 90 calendar days.

Take care, and Good luck!!

Mr H

Banana'd
    Please feel free to PM me other ideas of what would be good to have on the spreadsheet.

The first thing (purely cosmetic, but still helpful) would be to 'freeze panes' for the first row and column... just easier to keep track of what you're looking at.

Second (and just in the interest of thoroughness), my wife was contacted during my FTF.

Thanks again for putting this together.

uscoastiee

Apr 20, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Freeze panes is done, but it's only letting me either freeze the first row or the first column, but not both at the same time.

I updated your wife's interview.

Thanks for the ideas!!

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    March, 07 - Livescan completed,
    March, 08 - App in the mail
    March, 09 - Package recieved by MSP
    March, 12 - Check Cashed by MSP ( 81130 )
    March, 15 - Letter from CJIS - No criminal history

4/23
    Edit: added handwritten check #. No calls yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom