• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dattrini85

Man of few words.....
    Oct 19, 2010
    Moco
    Hey Guys! I'm new to the MD area, Montgomery county to be exact and I am looking for a decent range where I can go practice shooting with the family. I live close by Gilbert indoor range but I did not get any good reviews about that place....anyways,is it possible to go to a range in VA? I am also looking for a place that's affordable and not leave me in the poor house:lol2:

I am new to guns so any relevant info would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    You're funny... Gun Ranges in Monkey County.

Depends how much you want to spend.
    1) Gilbert's Indoor range in Rockville (down on W. Gude drive by the animal shelter). Not to expensive to get a lane but you have to buy their ammo and it's not cheap. No rifle restrictions and have full auto rentals.

2) Izaak Walton League - Outdoor range, need to be a range approved member (first 15 minutes after getting accepted as a member). It's outdoor, 25yd pistol range (really nice) 116 yd rifle. Kinda quirky because of the libs complaining about the noise. Not to large it's like 3 lanes only. $95 a year give or take and some volunteer time but it's a nice place.
    They have archery, you can fire pistol caliber rifles at the handgun range. They have their own lake. It's a nice facility. It's right off Warring Station road in Germantown it's official name is IWLA Rockville Chapter.

People are good, family oriented and if you become a RO you can open the range when the range is not open (Sat and Sun 1pm for non RO members)

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Welcome from another unfortunate soul in MoCo. All kidding aside, it's not that bad here. Just not many places to shoot.

Cresap in Frederick is nice but about a 45 minute drive. The NRA range is nice if you can get a lane, plus it's indoor.

What kind of shooting you getting into?

Dattrini85

Man of few words.....
    Oct 19, 2010
    Moco
    Thanks for all the info so far! Looking to do just some basic practice shooting. Looking for place where I can meet some friendly people and learn a new thing or two.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    AGC is about an hour from you. $150 + club fees (usually around $30) /year but you will never wait for a lane ever again. Comes out to $15 a month and extremely worth it.

While we are on the subject, how does AGC handle hanging of targets? I went up there one time and the main rifle range must have 30 or more lanes. Do they just call cease fire for 10 mins every 60 or something like that?

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    You're funny... Gun Ranges in Monkey County.

Depends how much you want to spend.
    1) Gilbert's Indoor range in Rockville (down on W. Gude drive by the animal shelter). Not to expensive to get a lane but you have to buy their ammo and it's not cheap. No rifle restrictions and have full auto rentals.

2) Izaak Walton League - Outdoor range, need to be a range approved member (first 15 minutes after getting accepted as a member). It's outdoor, 25yd pistol range (really nice) 116 yd rifle. Kinda quirky because of the libs complaining about the noise. Not to large it's like 3 lanes only. $95 a year give or take and some volunteer time but it's a nice place.
    They have archery, you can fire pistol caliber rifles at the handgun range. They have their own lake. It's a nice facility. It's right off Warring Station road in Germantown it's official name is IWLA Rockville Chapter.

People are good, family oriented and if you become a RO you can open the range when the range is not open (Sat and Sun 1pm for non RO members)

I have a question about IWLA because I thought about joining there and may consider it in the future once the ICC is built. If you are a RO can you open it regardless of what day of the week it is and do you have to shoot through a baffle? Thanks.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Hey Guys! I'm new to the MD area, Montgomery county to be exact and I am looking for a decent range where I can go practice shooting with the family. I live close by Gilbert indoor range but I did not get any good reviews about that place....anyways,is it possible to go to a range in VA? I am also looking for a place that's affordable and not leave me in the poor house:lol2:

I am new to guns so any relevant info would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

I live just a few miles from Gilbert's Indoor Range and refuse to set foot in the place.

If you shoot regularly, one of the IWLA chapters will be your best bet, either the Rockville or Damascus chapters.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    While we are on the subject, how does AGC handle hanging of targets? I went up there one time and the main rifle range must have 30 or more lanes. Do they just call cease fire for 10 mins every 60 or something like that?

If there is a bunch of people there they will do a ceasefire at the top and bottom of the hour. If there is only a hand full of people you just regulate yourselves.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    Dont forget the Bethesda Chevy Chase chapter of the IWLA. We are actually in Poolesville. 100 yd rifle, 50 yd pistol, 3d archery, skeet trap & sporting clays. Deer dove and turkey hunting on out 500+ acres. Its not expensive either. www.bcciwla.org
    I usually shoot shotgun on Sundays if you want to see it.
    To join you need to go to 3 dinner meetings, 3rd Wed of each month (tomorrow nights dinner is venison BBQ)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    If there is a bunch of people there they will do a ceasefire at the top and bottom of the hour. If there is only a hand full of people you just regulate yourselves.

On weekdays it's light at AGC and you call the range cold with the other shooters. On a weekend where it gets busy they use the PA system and call at the half and on the hour. It's worth the drive.

parashootman

Dec 7, 2007
    Welcome! I live near Gilbert's also. I go to NRA range for a lot cheaper! Maybe we can get together and go there sometime. E-mail me.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm in Silver Spring and goto On Target for handguns....Will drive over to Blue Ridge Arsenal for long guns, much better than the NRA range and worth the extra 5 mins drive.

Will never set foot in Gilberts again after a 1 week trial. Staff is rude, customers have a huge preponderance of mall ninja types, and they mark up their ammo about 40-60% above retail (last I was there 2 years ago the wanted $22 a box for 9mm)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I am a member of the Rockville IWLA.If you are a RO you can open the range on any day you want. Normally it's only open from 1-4 on weekends. I believe you must shoot from the baffles at all times. The sheeple libtards complain if you don't. It's a great little place to shoot. The pistol range now has 9 lanes. Shotguns are ok but slugs only. As someone mentioned, nice lake for fishing and trap and skeet and archery. Go to the IWLA web page and the phone number for the membership chairman is listed. Give her a call to get started. Her name is Judy Danish. The Rockville chapter has a web page as well. It's HERE

Having said that I have almost become a regular at the NRA range in Fairfax. It's only a couple of blocks off RT 50 off RT 66 and about 20 minutes from Bethesda if no traffic. It is open to everyone for 18 dollars and hour but if you are an NRA member it's 14 dollars an hour. You can bring your own ammo and targets or buy from them unlike Gilberts which I will never set foot in again for the reasons previously mentioned. The range has 15 lanes with electronic target system, nice waiting room and good parking in the garage. You must take a short written range safety test before shooting. If you want to go, PM me. The range web site is HERE

You can shoot anything up to and including 454 Casull

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Welcome. Others have it covered as far as the ranges.

Gilbert's is good for what it is: a nearby indoor range. If you don't need to trade $$ for time, the drive to the other options is worth it. Right now a trip from where I live in MoCO to the NoVA indoor ranges takes me about three hours: 45 min travel there, 15-30 min wait (average at NRA but sometimes I get lucky and walk on), 1 hr to shoot, and then 45 min back. With a PO'd wife juggling two small kids while I am gone, the Gilbert's option would be an OK $$/time tradeoff if I didn't already have an ammo stash.

I would also add to the NoVA range list the Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn. It is larger than the NRA Range, set up more like a golf club, and is focused on govt. training contracts, but costs $25/hr and the wait is usually shorter.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Will drive over to Blue Ridge Arsenal for long guns, much better than the NRA range and worth the extra 5 mins drive.

I have to disagree with this. At least the NRA's range has a working AC unit. Plus it's 50 yards.

Then there's Sharpshooters in Lorton. It's a decent indoor range, but it's pistol caliber only. You can use a shotgun, and it's the only indoor range in NOVA that lets you use bird shot.

Jim

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm a member at the IWLA Rockville (located in Germantown). It's a good club with good people. The pistol range and trap range are pretty nice. I don't bother with the rifle range. We just recently installed a rabbit thrower for the trap range which is pretty fun. The lake is really nice with some good sized largemouth bass.

The trap range is open to the public on Thursday nights, 6-830pm. You can pick up a member application form while you're there. The new member orientation is on the 3rd Friday of every month so the next one is November 19th located in the upper level of the chapter house. I will be there this Thursday shooting trap. Look for the big younger guy and come over and say hi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom