• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Got the parts back from the anodizer, they didnt charge me anything since they burnt one part. Parts look great, and I will be taking the part I need to re-make back to them when I get it made. I will be assembling tonight if I can with the bad part....then off to the etcher.

Attachments

• anodized.JPG
      anodized.JPG
      26.6 KB · Views: 428
    • burnt.JPG
      burnt.JPG
      20.5 KB · Views: 422

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Got some time to tinker last night and assembled all parts before getting it etched. Off to the etchers today. Please excuse the table cloth...its kinda busy.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      38.8 KB · Views: 398
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      46 KB · Views: 397

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Looks great! and.. you will have plenty of real estate to work with for etching, one perk of that design! :lol:

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Ok here are pics of it after etching and fully assembled. I KNOW ITS ON FIRE! But right now there is no way for the safety/fire selector to stay on either since this design doesn’t use detents. I will be cutting the magnets to fix this today. Quick thank you to smdub for turning out some pivot point pins. :party29: So here it is fully assembled and I compared it to my DPMS AR and it looks like it should fire...:). The one weak point I can see with this design is the aluminum pin that holds the buffer spring and buffer in, I think with firing over and over the ali pin might give up. If it does happen I will address it and put a steel pin in. I chose the Metallica "Dont tread on me" rattle snake as my emblem. It was my wife’s idea, and it kinda stood for what this entire build was about. Im not a gun nut, gun freak, rambo I am not....but once someone tells me I cant (Government) I say I will! It made me feel patriotic to build this from the ground up and hope others do as well. Hope everyone has a good 4th of July, and please remember the men and women who have fought and who are fighting to give us our freedoms. Ok....Ill get off my soap box now. Enjoy the pics. Oh I will be attempting to fire it in the next couple of days.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      33.4 KB · Views: 362
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      30.9 KB · Views: 365
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      47.2 KB · Views: 364
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      40.7 KB · Views: 364
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      48.6 KB · Views: 362
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      39.5 KB · Views: 355

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Looks awesome Brotha!! and yes, it IS on FIRE!!

Question on the safety selector issue... is there not enough meat to use the conventional spring/detent arrangement on the lower? I have to get the drawings into CAD so I can play around with that concept.. seems to me that all we need is a little more meat there and it could be step drilled to accept a spring and detent.. I'll look into that before I start any cutting....

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    seems to me that all we need is a little more meat there

Thats the tricky bit. The hammer well is as wide as the trigger well in this design. The detent location is then 99% in 'free space' (the 1/8" drill would touch the existing side plates here by just a couple thou.) You'd have to bolt on a block or bring the grip part up farther. The latter is probably easiest, but the drill is going to be RIGHT on the edge and you'd probably have to drill them bolted together. Could be done.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Working on getting the parts Cad'd today. I will look into that. Perhaps making the plate from thicker material, requires more milling, but it would eliminate the pin issue and I'd have to modify the mating parts as well, but it would beat trying to add onto what is there. I will have some ideas before the weekend is up.. ;)

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Looks awesome Brotha!! and yes, it IS on FIRE!!

Question on the safety selector issue... is there not enough meat to use the conventional spring/detent arrangement on the lower? I have to get the drawings into CAD so I can play around with that concept.. seems to me that all we need is a little more meat there and it could be step drilled to accept a spring and detent.. I'll look into that before I start any cutting....

Im gonna have to say no. Maybe if you made the back plates thicker, it would leave more meat on it....but as of right now with this design not enought meat.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Working on getting the parts Cad'd today. I will look into that. Perhaps making the plate from thicker material, requires more milling, but it would eliminate the pin issue and I'd have to modify the mating parts as well, but it would beat trying to add onto what is there. I will have some ideas before the weekend is up.. ;)

Honestly the design modifications to this lower could be endless. Would you mind posting the Cad drawings just so I could see?:)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Honestly the design modifications to this lower could be endless. Would you mind posting the Cad drawings just so I could see?:)
    I know.... :lol2::lol2:

Yes, I will post them here on your thread, once I get them sorta configured... :thumbsup:

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Im sitting here with magnets, but they just dont look right. There about 3/4 inch long .100x.100 squares. Anyone have any ideas where I could pick up some small magnets? I got these at home depot......

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Is it just me?

The safety selector looks backwards. Safe is where pew pew pew should be.

Negative ghost rider, with this design the safe is back and up is fire. The reason for this is because the three screws by the selector interfere with normal operation. The motion from safe to fire will be the same as normal, but the selector is backwards.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Im sitting here with magnets, but they just dont look right. There about 3/4 inch long .100x.100 squares. Anyone have any ideas where I could pick up some small magnets? I got these at home depot......
    You need to find some alnico magnets.. small, can be had in round and powerful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom