• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiles1960

Jim Miles
    Jan 9, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have a 2 story colonial style home. Gutters are loose along the front of the house; water comes pouring down the front of the house in heavy rain.

They 20+ years old, and I would consider replacing all of them.

I need someone with skills and ladder to the job, or feel free to recommend a company. I just need to get this fixed.

Thanks!

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    There are basically three gauges or thickness of gutter material that is commonly used to make seamless gutters on site. Gauges are .025". .027" and .032". I've have had the .032 on my house for 25 years, I can put a ladder up against them and not dent them. In fact I think I could hang from them and they would not bend.

Many gutter guys don't do the heavy .032 material because it's hard on the forming machine. I'd find and be willing to pay for the heavier material.
    Also consider how the gutter is hung. Avoid spikes and go with "Hidden Hangers" which are screwed into place.

(I've been in the Home Improvement business for 30 years)

Here's a link: http://www.usraingutter.com/gutter-thickness-gauge-material.html

jmiles1960

Jim Miles
    Jan 9, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Thanks

Don H. / Zombie - thanks for your comments and feedback.

Any recommendations for window replacement? Installer or brand of windows? I will likely be in the house for a long time, so I want high grade and efficient, low maintenance. I have wood cased windows now and they've a huge pain to keep rot out in the sills due the how the house faces and gets sun.

Thanks again guys!

Superreverb

Aug 29, 2009
    Western HoCo
    Don H. / Zombie - thanks for your comments and feedback.

Any recommendations for window replacement? Installer or brand of windows? I will likely be in the house for a long time, so I want high grade and efficient, low maintenance. I have wood cased windows now and they've a huge pain to keep rot out in the sills due the how the house faces and gets sun.

Thanks again guys!

I'll be following this question with much interest. We've got the same problem

:party29:

ESRob

Feb 8, 2013
    I was a sales rep for the Thompson Creek Window Company. I also sold gutters, doors, siding, etc... I also have a fair amount of experience in home improvement, so I wasn't just a company rep regurgitation force fed information.
    Although I've been gone from there a couple years now, I still do believe they offer a superior product, installation and warranty.
    Their pricing will be on par with other quality replacement windows.
    They won't give quotes over the phone.

If anyone does decide to give them a call to set up an appointment, drop me a note.
    I have some other tips to make the appointment go smoothly.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    BK Green Construction out of Westminster did an amazing job of replacing our gutters and downspouts. We opted for 1 inch wider and the gutter shield. I don't know what their service area is but I was thoroughly impressed with his work. I think the guy's name is Bruce?

Phone: 410-596-9648
    MHIC: 96138

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    I too have been looking into all new windows. With all my research I was thinking of Simonton (not through Home Depot). We're looking for double to triple pane with the preferences of triple.

jmiles1960

Jim Miles
    Jan 9, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    FPL53 - if you find someone one or more installation contractors you're considering, please let me know. I also found someone in Frederick, I'd be glad to share with you. I need to find his card; had good reviews online. Let me know.

I haven't chosen product or contractor yet. I need to make repairs in early spring.

Thanks - Jim

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    My neighbour and I both had ours done by gutters for less. They did a great job, I had wider gutters and bigger downpipes installed and they had color choices which pleased my HOA!

RileysDad

Dec 10, 2013
    Bethesda
    My neighbour and I both had ours done by gutters for less. They did a great job, I had wider gutters and bigger downpipes installed and they had color choices which pleased my HOA!

This is a great idea if you're looking to save yourself from some gutter cleaning. The larger the gutter and downspouts, the more debris it can flush down them but it will cost a little extra. Anytime I do gutter work, I make sure the contractors put in at least 5" gutters and 3x4 downspouts. You'll want to get this approved by your HOA ahead of time if you have one and they're hardasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom