• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Exactly. If I, as a US citizen, have obtained a CCW permit from Florida, that permit should be valid anywhere in the country, just like my marriage and driver's license are.

I still say we build a bridge with the gays and get gay marriage and gun permits under the P&I clause.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    I still say we build a bridge with the gays and get gay marriage and gun permits under the P&I clause.

That's the big disappointment for me and other Libertarians about this decision. Had the Court reached its decision by way of the P&I clause, it would have made it much easier for the rights codified in the Constitution to be granted on a state level.

On a side note, I don't believe that P&I would apply to gay marriage, I'd say that falls under the Equal Protection Clause, which should also apply to nonresident CCW permits and (really) CCW in general.

But I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know?

ATTYSHOOTER

Mar 31, 2009
    I'm glad to have opened such a healthy discussion and I appreciate all of the questions and viewpoints about various approaches to any lawsuit to be filed.

Obviously, caution dictates that anyone to be involved not discuss strategy via the internet. I'd be happy to have a detailed discussion over the telephone with any interested member of this group - particularly those who have applied for and been denied permits in the past three years.

Also, I should say thank you to those who have already responded. We will be following up with you.

For those who were rightly interested in my background and motivation, I couldn't agree more with your concerns. It is extremely important that the initial cases be brought by the right people (speaking of both the lawyers involved and the plaintiffs). This is why it is so important that we hear from potential plaintiffs as soon as possible.

For my part, I am happy to discuss a little of my own background. I have been practicing law for more than a decade with the majority of my practice focused in civil rights and, in particular, fighting government encroachment on those rights.

I've successfully litigated against a municipality's attempt to ban smoking (even outdoors on your own property), a town's attempt to annex a portion of the county where residents wished not to be annexed, a rent control ordinance which discriminated against students, a government-established monopoly on the funeral home business, a wide variety of discrimination including reverse discrimination, unlawful terminations for political purposes, and police misconduct.

I have what the Washington Post called the largest verdict ever against Prince George's County for civil rights violations.

I have served as an officer or sat on the Board of a number of legal associations, including the Maryland Association for Justice.

I have won awards for my work, including from the Maryland Trial Lawyer’s Association and the ACLU. I have also provided media commentary to most local media outlets including the local network television news programs, the Washington Post and the Baltimore Sun.

The firm where I am a shareholder has been in Maryland for more than 40 years. We have 35 attorneys and offices in Rockville and Greenbelt. I joined this particular firm because of its historic reputation for defending the civil rights of Maryland citizens.

Finally, I can tell you that while we reserve the right to seek fees from the state, court-awarded fees are usually a small fraction of what a civil attorney might earn on other matters. In other words, our efforts will be largely, if not entirely uncompensated.

Fortunately, our practice is successful enough that those of us with a particular interest in an issue have some freedom to pursue it. Which brings me to my interest. I grew up in West Virginia where gun ownership was virtually universal. Like many of you, my father gave me my first rifle for Christmas when I was 12 and I have enjoyed shooting and associated activities ever since. In fact, I recently purchased enough land in Southern Maryland to build a small private range.

But more than my interest in firearms, I am dedicated to our Constitution and to seeing that every right in it is reserved to the people to the greatest extent possible. I have pursed this goal without regard to politics or which party was encroaching on which civil liberty with the consistent aim being to defend and secure our rights. This is why I am a member here and why I am interested in the Second Amendment fight.

I hope you will join me.

Best regards,

Cary

CARY J. HANSEL
    JOSEPH, GREENWALD & LAAKE, P.A.
    6404 IVY LANE, SUITE 400
    GREENBELT, MARYLAND 20770
    TELEPHONE: 301-220-2200
    FACSIMILE: 301-220-1214

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    But more than my interest in firearms, I am dedicated to our Constitution and to seeing that every right in it is reserved to the people to the greatest extent possible. I have pursed this goal without regard to politics or which party was encroaching on which civil liberty with the consistent aim being to defend and secure our rights. This is why I am a member here and why I am interested in the Second Amendment fight.

Now, to me, that is a true American.:thumbsup:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Sounds great, Cary.

Set up a non-profit legal fund and a website. I'll contribute and so would many others here. We need people who will fight for us.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'd gladly donate to a legal fund. This is certainly a worthy cause. N

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    I already have a permit, but whatever I can do I will. I have access to 100's of students per month, mostly new firearms owners so you have a captive audience. Please feel free to contact me if you like.

Bryan Fletcher

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium
    Big thank you from myself and pretty much everyone I know! I haven't applied for a permit, but I am anxiously awaiting the "right time" to do so. If a first time applicant can be of use, let me know!

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Some of us have permits, a small club I am happy to be a part of, but how many of them are unrestricted? Seems to me if anyone has a restriction that is individualized it isnt in line with the decision.

So is anyone unrestricted??

TD

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Some of us have permits, a small club I am happy to be a part of, but how many of them are unrestricted? Seems to me if anyone has a restriction that is individualized it isnt in line with the decision.

So is anyone unrestricted??

TD

I would bet that the Balto City Council Presidents is unrestricted, now, how does one proove this. I would also like to know the time frame in which it took from application to issuance for his. It s my understanding the wait time is like 6 months.

NOBODY

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Its quite true. New MSP Handgun Permit Apps take about 6 months, since going over to livescan it reduced about 2 months off the wait.

I dropped mine off late March and was told it should be approved any day as my prints were back and my interview was done.

What's your source on the 6 months?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I dropped mine off late March and was told it should be approved any day as my prints were back and my interview was done.

What's your source on the 6 months?

You will be lucky if you see a new Application approved in under 4 months, 6 can be the norm, I have seen longer.

I work for a gunshop, we all have permits for the job. I deal with customers who have buinesses where the owners have permits too. We talk about the process when people ask, and renew.

I also work for an armored car company and have direct experience with the MSP permiting process.

I have 2 MD Carry Permits, one for each job.

If you dont believe me fine, but I know how the MSP runs. Unless you are connected your permit will not go speedy.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    You will be lucky if you see a new Application approved in under 4 months, 6 can be the norm, I have seen longer.

I work for a gunshop, we all have permits for the job. I deal with customers who have buinesses where the owners have permits too. We talk about the process when people ask, and renew.

I also work for an armored car company and have direct experience with the MSP permiting process.

I have 2 MD Carry Permits, one for each job.

If you dont believe me fine, but I know how the MSP runs. Unless you are connected your permit will not go speedy.

I never said I didn't believe you or that you were not telling the truth. I just asked what your source was. I was at the licensing division two weeks ago when they told me it should be 'any day now.'

I dropped off a Form 4 with purple card prints and already got the background check slip back from CJIS on that one.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I never said I didn't believe you or that you were not telling the truth. I just asked what your source was. I was at the licensing division two weeks ago when they told me it should be 'any day now.'

I dropped off a Form 4 with purple card prints and already got the background check slip back from CJIS on that one.

It sounds like:

1. "Of course I'll respect you in the morning."

2. "The check is in the mail."

3. "Your permit will be any day now."

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    One factor that also needs to be addressed is the CCW process. Shall-issue is nice, but there are ways to fatigue people into abandoning their rights...such as requiring them to go to a face-to-face interview in Baltimore.

For those of us in Southern MD, Western, MD, and the Eastern Shore, that's a 2-3 hour drive each way. And the MSP is not covering time or mileage. It's like waiting 4-6 months...just another attempt to fatigue people into abandoning their rights, and any suit needs to address it specifically.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom