• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    National Capital Area Council is in need of shooting sports staff for Goshen Scout Reservation. I am told that they need everyone, but especially those 21+. The minimum age to work is 14 as a Counselor in Training, and 15 as paid staff. Depending on what they hire you for, you might work up to ten weeks. Certain jobs require the whole summer, but for the younger staffers they are usually pretty flexible. Some work for as little as a week.

I worked at Camp Bowman for the past six summers and loved it. It's a great learning experience as you live in the woods for the summer and work with kids.

Please pass on this opportunity to your kids or young people you may know. If you are interested or know someone who is, I can send you the contact info of those in charge with hiring. No experience in the Boy Scouts or outdoors is necessary. We have had staffers in the past without experience in either, but still learned the skills necessary and did great.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    National Capital Area Council is in need of shooting sports staff for Goshen Scout Reservation. I am told that they need everyone, but especially those 21+. The minimum age to work is 14 as a Counselor in Training, and 15 as paid staff. Depending on what they hire you for, you might work up to ten weeks. Certain jobs require the whole summer, but for the younger staffers they are usually pretty flexible. Some work for as little as a week.

I worked at Camp Bowman for the past six summers and loved it. It's a great learning experience as you live in the woods for the summer and work with kids.

Please pass on this opportunity to your kids or young people you may know. If you are interested or know someone who is, I can send you the contact info of those in charge with hiring. No experience in the Boy Scouts or outdoors is necessary. We have had staffers in the past without experience in either, but still learned the skills necessary and did great.

Permission to re-post over on Md Preparedness?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    For shooting sports, the Boy Scouts require an NRA RSO on the range. If you get a group that needs to take the NRA Range Safety Officer class, I can come up and teach it for a group.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Just a reminder... I am still taking .22 ammo donations for NCAC, up through the end of the month.

With current commitments, we have nearly 10% of what they normally shoot in a summer. I'd love to crack that, if not go higher.

/threadjack ;)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    For shooting sports, the Boy Scouts require an NRA RSO on the range. If you get a group that needs to take the NRA Range Safety Officer class, I can come up and teach it for a group.

Thanks, but Council sends them to camp school for that. They get the BSA shooting sports director certification, which includes the NRA ones too.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I've been teaching several summers at the camps our troop attends, and they're mostly thrilled to have anyone with an NRA instructor cert join the staff coaching the scouts.
    Pretty sure the same would apply with RSO certs.
    More eyes are better. We just can't be too safe
    Goshen has a nice range, and a great program

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've been teaching several summers at the camps our troop attends, and they're mostly thrilled to have anyone with an NRA instructor cert join the staff coaching the scouts.

It's too bad that they had to shut down the high power range at Goshen. There was not enough attendance. I think in their last summer operating, only two crews used it.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va

Every time we run an RSO class here in Richmond, I reach out to the BSA. The local council ignores our training announcements, but 50% of each of our classes are filled with students taking RSO for their local scout troop....and they also all say that the local council sent them nothing in regards to an announcement about our class.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Every time we run an RSO class here in Richmond, I reach out to the BSA. The local council ignores our training announcements, but 50% of each of our classes are filled with students taking RSO for their local scout troop....and they also all say that the local council sent them nothing in regards to an announcement about our class.

That's because they do their training at the national camp schools. Staffers go there for a week to become certified as a shooting sports director. They get the various instructor certs as well as RSO while they're there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom