• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    If I was you I would take just about any job I could find - Walmart, Target, Home Depot, McDonald's, etc even if you are over qualified. At least it's some cash coming in and it doesn't prevent you from continuing your search for something more suited to your skills.

What area are you in and what kinda of pay are you looking for?

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Sorry Joe. I wish it were easier for you man. It does suck to have to take an interim position making less money (most likely with less job-satisfaction), but I'd venture to say most of us have done it. I know the "funk" you're in, I've been there myself a time or two, and it's real hard to get motivated to do anything; let alone look for a job that you really don't want to take. Why not private security? Armored car? you won't make much money but it could be interesting enough for the mean-time. Plus you could work a shift that allowed you to keep looking for your break. I think shooter05 (my "future" brother-in-law) sent you a PM with some info, it may take awhile but when he and I talked he was pretty optimistic. Hang in there dude! What time are you shooting tomorrow?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm in the Baltimore Area. I'm kinda stuck as I need benefits for my daughter. If I take a job like walmart or target, insurance eats up a large chunk of the pay....and she won't qualify for state assistance if I have a job like that......talk about a rock and a hard place.

DevonB324

Done
    Feb 7, 2010
    Transplanted Texan
    I hear ya Joe, it sucks being between a rock and a hard place... Been there for years! But I wouldn't be the person I am today if I hadn't gone through what I've been through in my life...

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Trader Joes is supposed to be a very good place to work and climb the ladder for motivated people. I know they also offer benefits to even part time personnel.

Not sure if any of them are close to you though.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Home Depot kept me fed back in the tech crunch when i lost my job. They pay more than minimum wage and do have benefits even for part time. They promote from within as much as possible. It was an interim job that kept me and wife going.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I am sorry to hear about your situation. I have no advice for you that you haven't heard a thousand times nor would I presume to tell you that I know how you feel because I am sure I don't. All I can say is that even though I don't know you personally, I get a kick out of reading your numerous insights on this board. I sincerely wish you the best of luck and I know you are a good person and things just absolutely have to turn around for you soon. I guess for the time being, if you can wake up in the morning and be thankful you're still breathing, that'll have to do until the rest comes together for you as I am sure it will.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ah, that sucks, man, and I know what you're going through. I was in a similar position to you as of a week ago: got laid off (well, took the voluntary severance package, I _would_ have been laid off), spent months looking for a job, and I was just getting nowhere. Some pet annoyances of mine:
    1. I had a five minute interview because the interviewer basically cut it short and said "you don't know X, we have a guy we just interviewed who knows X, you're not getting the job, let's not waste our time". Classy! I just wanted to drive to NoVA for fun, right?
    2. I had a _grueling_ four hour interview that was basically a bust past hour two (or such was told to me), but they didn't stop for reasons unknown to me and wasted my entire day.
    3. Multiple recruiters finding my resume online, contacting me about a position, and then promptly telling me I wasn't a good fit skills-wise. WTF? Did you expect that I _didn't_ list stuff on my resume? I sure as hell didn't lie about what I did know.
    4. DQ'ing me because I don't know something that any idiot with a CS degree could pick up in a couple days. "Do you know Oracle?" "Well, I've used mySQL and Sybase..." "Oops, sorry, it won't work out!"
    5. And, finally, the in-person interview that kept getting pushed back out. (To their credit, a VP in the company contacted me with an apology the second time, so I've got less ill will towards them.)

But, let me tell you that, just as I was honestly starting to get clinical-style depressed (although not to where you are), a recruiter came out of nowhere with an interesting opportunity at a small contractor, and THAT position worked out. Was it my dream job? No, although it isn't terrible by a long shot. But the money was right, the benefits were excellent, and I think, in the long term, it may turn out to be very good for my career.

So, don't give up hope... there's always something, and we're finally entering the part of the year where hiring appears to be picking up some real steam. Expand your job search a bit (I stopped using Monster for a bit and started using Dice, and I found that was a good way to make things seem less futile, personally), and make sure your resume is tailored more for what sort of position you're looking for (I think this was part of my problem at first).

m21att1

Nov 19, 2007
    What do you do for a living? If it's computer related let me know I know a lot of people, and have good contacts with very high level people (aka the people doing the hiring).

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Hang in there, Brother! It will get better!

You are in our prayers!

I'm with you in that boat since May.

Been getting just enough side work to keep the wolves at bay.

Major Suckage.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ah, that sucks, man, and I know what you're going through. I was in a similar position to you as of a week ago: got laid off (well, took the voluntary severance package, I _would_ have been laid off), spent months looking for a job, and I was just getting nowhere. Some pet annoyances of mine:
    1. I had a five minute interview because the interviewer basically cut it short and said "you don't know X, we have a guy we just interviewed who knows X, you're not getting the job, let's not waste our time". Classy! I just wanted to drive to NoVA for fun, right?
    2. I had a _grueling_ four hour interview that was basically a bust past hour two (or such was told to me), but they didn't stop for reasons unknown to me and wasted my entire day.
    3. Multiple recruiters finding my resume online, contacting me about a position, and then promptly telling me I wasn't a good fit skills-wise. WTF? Did you expect that I _didn't_ list stuff on my resume? I sure as hell didn't lie about what I did know.
    4. DQ'ing me because I don't know something that any idiot with a CS degree could pick up in a couple days. "Do you know Oracle?" "Well, I've used mySQL and Sybase..." "Oops, sorry, it won't work out!"
    5. And, finally, the in-person interview that kept getting pushed back out. (To their credit, a VP in the company contacted me with an apology the second time, so I've got less ill will towards them.)

But, let me tell you that, just as I was honestly starting to get clinical-style depressed (although not to where you are), a recruiter came out of nowhere with an interesting opportunity at a small contractor, and THAT position worked out. Was it my dream job? No, although it isn't terrible by a long shot. But the money was right, the benefits were excellent, and I think, in the long term, it may turn out to be very good for my career.

So, don't give up hope... there's always something, and we're finally entering the part of the year where hiring appears to be picking up some real steam. Expand your job search a bit (I stopped using Monster for a bit and started using Dice, and I found that was a good way to make things seem less futile, personally), and make sure your resume is tailored more for what sort of position you're looking for (I think this was part of my problem at first).

:thumbsup:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Just applied at Home Depot's website. I have reason to believe that they share their application process with the CIA......

just sayin....

Feb 16, 2010
    lanham, MD
    this really sucks, i know tomany good people this is happening to. I will not say how you are feeling but i have had to lay 2 og my guys off because Just haven't been able to get the volume of work i was closing since Nov. I have known these 2 guys for years and it deeply pained me to have to decide who looses their job and who keeps it. This is just the perspective from an employer stand point( a little guys amoung the giants who really don't give a shit) I feel that decision has given me the most trouble because unlike a large million $ corporation I interact with my people daily. So the only thing i can say is keephope alive

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I am down, but I am not out. Thanks everyone for your concern and input.

This is the reason for my sappy post a while back. Everyone here is fantastic and we all have each other's backs!

I am glad I found this place.

Enough melancholy....back to the FUN!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom