• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    I've always thought US Park Police would be a good department, though I don't know much about them. They cover the monuments in DC, the BW Parkway, and even the Golden Gate Bridge area in California I believe. It's not just "parks" as the name would imply. They get into some heavy stuff.

Aside from the ones listed above, I don't know who else has a Cadet Program. Many have Explorers, but that's for those under eighteen. My knowledge of the Explorer Program is limited; I'll let someone else take a whack at it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've always thought US Park Police would be a good department, though I don't know much about them. They cover the monuments in DC, the BW Parkway, and even the Golden Gate Bridge area in California I believe. It's not just "parks" as the name would imply. They get into some heavy stuff.

Aside from the ones listed above, I don't know who else has a Cadet Program. Many have Explorers, but that's for those under eighteen. My knowledge of the Explorer Program is limited; I'll let someone else take a whack at it.

Park would be my choice for a FED cop job. At least you get some roadwork in on the parkway. Being allowed to fly armed is the best perk about a fed police job. :thumbsup:

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thanks Blaster and SS!

Explorers is a BSA program for boys and girls ages 14 - 20.

Thank you. There is some truth in what Blaster said above about not getting your first choice; even if put rather bluntly :). Not impossible obviously, but tough in today's world. Another reason to get several applications in and get it done with is because as life progresses, you start collecting things like a wife, children, status and money in your current job, and more responsibility in general. The application process becomes harder to deal with and I think many just give up. I was twenty one and hadn't started "collecting" yet. It was fairly easy at that stage; it would be a little harder now.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I understand what Blaster was saying, maybe I was being a little too sensitive about it. It all makes sense to me. Honestly I wish I could apply to all the ones accepting applications right now

Can I ask a question, how hard is it to learn an area they assign you to police? Especially one you've never been around before? Do they just tell you to go somewhere and they expect you to know all the streets or what? Just something I always wondered

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    You learn the area just as you would anywhere else, by driving around. You'd likely get assigned a beat or sector rather than an entire county. So that makes it easier to learn. I'd also suggest using a map book, not a GPS, when learning the area as it forces you to look at the street names.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Can I ask a question, how hard is it to learn an area they assign you to police? Especially one you've never been around before? Do they just tell you to go somewhere and they expect you to know all the streets or what? Just something I always wondered

In FTO you'll likely be given an address/intersection and a map and expected to find your way. Lots of guys and gals come from out of county, out of state so your training officer will likely understand you need some time. However, and quite quickly I might add, you will be expected to understand the main arteries and know your direction of travel, as well as your location at all times. Just spend an hour each night with your beat map and you'll be fine.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    It doesn't take long at all to learn the area when you're driving it every day. You'll get to know some areas better than others; your car will almost automatically drive there :D.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I understand what Blaster was saying, maybe I was being a little too sensitive about it. It all makes sense to me. Honestly I wish I could apply to all the ones accepting applications right now

You can apply to every agency with open applications, the only thing standing in you way is you. Re read my early post about what I had to do to get offered the job. Looking back on the days I called off to take tests and sit in a polygraph rooms I don't regret loosing those sick days or vacation days from my old job. And I seriously put my old job in jepordy pursuing this career. Once the management knew I was trying to pursue a career in police work they supported me and understood I'd be making some sacrifices.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Just an update

I'll be going on a ride along with my girlfriends brother in the city within the next couple weeks. After talking with him, I think city police is where I want to go to get my police career started

Once I get home from my vacation I have planned, I will be applying to the city and MDTA just to keep my options open

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom