Is it legal to carry while at work in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    What does the state define as an informal display. The next question would be why are you displaying the same gun to the same person 5x a week? I think that's asking for trouble from the Prince Georges County States Attorney Office.

Considering the number of break ins and level of sophistication of the thieves would it make sense to store the firearm in a very secure location at the business?

igotyoubeat

Apr 27, 2014
    Not to butt in, but if I am understanding this correctly, if I have express written permission to carry a handgun at a place of employment where I work, I may do so? As long as I am on that business property? For some reason I was under the impression that I would still need a CCW.

Sending an email to MSP would be my approach; they will take a while to respond however you will get a response by them in writing. This way you will cover your a$$, also getting it in writing from the boss is probably a good idea as well.

igotyoubeat

Apr 27, 2014
    It's legal for you to wear/carry the handgun on the business premises, but it is not legal for you to transport a handgun to the business location everyday. Only the owner can transport a handgun to the business. (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster; ... (7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee: (i) in the course of employment; (ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and (iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment; or

Sounds like a conflict of laws ....

A person may carry a handgun at the place of work (with approval of the owner/supervision) however that same person cannot transport the said handgun legally to the place of work. Does not make sense. But what part of Maryland firearms laws do?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Sounds like a conflict of laws ....

A person may carry a handgun at the place of work (with approval of the owner/supervision) however that same person cannot transport the said handgun legally to the place of work. Does not make sense. But what part of Maryland firearms laws do?

work place=private
    roads=public

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I'd be interested in the legal definition of "supervisory position". I work part-time for a small company, I open and close the store on a regular basis and am obviously "in charge" when I am the only person working that day, but I'm not in a "supervisory position" as I once was when I worked full time in a large organization and had employees who I supervised.

Anyone?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'd be interested in the legal definition of "supervisory position". I work part-time for a small company, I open and close the store on a regular basis and am obviously "in charge" when I am the only person working that day, but I'm not in a "supervisory position" as I once was when I worked full time in a large organization and had employees who I supervised.

Anyone?

nope.. unless you are, by title, manager/supervisor of some sort. lol

i sometimes stay late myself... and sit on gm chair (updating his computer).. doesnt make me gm . haha

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    boundlessdyad ... You bring up a lot of good points. That being said, the sticking point appears to be "cash" deposits. I own my own business (and avail myself to carry when I am at my place of business), but for the permit I have the task to prove that some arbitrary level of the deposits are cash. This is where I get a bit confused whether to apply or not, since a lot of payments are by check.

I never did, all I had to provide was a letter from my bank stating that my business had active accounts with deposits.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    boundlessdyad ... You bring up a lot of good points. That being said, the sticking point appears to be "cash" deposits. I own my own business (and avail myself to carry when I am at my place of business), but for the permit I have the task to prove that some arbitrary level of the deposits are cash. This is where I get a bit confused whether to apply or not, since a lot of payments are by check.

Cash or not does not matter, as dblas pointed out. All you have to show is "active financial activity." Cash, check, credit cards, doesn't matter, you just have to get a letter from your bank saying that you have an account with activity.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    It's ironic, but the only place I'm not allowed to carry per my MD permit is while at work.

CCW Back.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom