Is it legal to carry while at work in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I can't carry in MD, but when I got my first CCW perrmit, I purchased a 2 million dollar umbrella liability policy from my auto insurance company. It will only cover you in a legal shoot. If you're found at fault, you're on you own. It does provide an extra layer of financial liability protection, but that's it.

I assume this is the kind of insurance you werer referring to.

Runs about 24 dollars a month.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    One must satisfy each of the requirements under the law;

a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i) in the course of employment;

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment

Also, ask yourself;

1. How are those terms defined (ie supervisory employee, course of employment, confines...)?

2. If I use a firearm as a tool of last resort, will my employer risk liability by confirming he gave verbal permission?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Your employer is the one who needs to sort this out with his CGLI carrier. If you act as an employee on the clock it is your employer who will get sued. Also, MDs castle doctrine is fairly well defined for defense of your home, not quite as well for a business. That being said, the pakistani dunkin manager who offed a robber in the parking lot of his gas station in Laurel wasn't charged with anything.

Get a letter from the owner. Carry concealed. Dont blabber about it to your underlings.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I would go a step further than most of the posts and suggest you get a letter from your employer authorizing you to obtain a MD Handgun Permit. Surely as a manager you can make deposits and conduct financial transactions for the business. I would advise against open carry in MD even within the confines of a business. If they would put in writing that you can carry at work why would they not assist you in getting a MD carry permit?

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    He said he would sponsor me getting a md ccp. Isnt it a long and drawn out process?? Can I get one even though Im a VA resident?

truknbear

Right to arm Bears
    Feb 21, 2013
    HarCo
    I would go a step further than most of the posts and suggest you get a letter from your employer authorizing you to obtain a MD Handgun Permit. Surely as a manager you can make deposits and conduct financial transactions for the business. I would advise against open carry in MD even within the confines of a business. If they would put in writing that you can carry at work why would they not assist you in getting a MD carry permit?

boundlessdyad ... You bring up a lot of good points. That being said, the sticking point appears to be "cash" deposits. I own my own business (and avail myself to carry when I am at my place of business), but for the permit I have the task to prove that some arbitrary level of the deposits are cash. This is where I get a bit confused whether to apply or not, since a lot of payments are by check.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Criminals are not known for their intelligence. They can't tell if your deposit envelope is $10 or $10,000.00, or if it's cash or check.

Im slightly familiar with this topic, and I am not aware of any dollar amount threshold.

Out of state applicants are generally treated the same as in-state except for fingerprints, interviews and restrictions.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    It's legal for you to wear/carry the handgun on the business premises, but it is not legal for you to transport a handgun to the business location everyday. Only the owner can transport a handgun to the business.

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment; or

truknbear

Right to arm Bears
    Feb 21, 2013
    HarCo
    As straightshooter said. It appears you have been misinformed. If you own a business you should apply.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Many thanks for your response. Was always under the impression that it had to involve cash. Perhaps it's time to apply.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Many thanks for your response. Was always under the impression that it had to involve cash. Perhaps it's time to apply.

It's not about if you own a business... It's about if you own a business, or are a corporate officer, and have a monetary cash flow and/or make deposits.

Although, it's also about the Presidential Democratic Primary, Bloomburg money, stare decisis, Snowden, Scherr, and the MSP Policy & Procedure Manual.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    I own a business and have thought about just bringing one to work everyday. If I were to do that, how do I have to transport the Gun to the car at night?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I own a business and have thought about just bringing one to work everyday. If I were to do that, how do I have to transport the Gun to the car at night?

Without a permit to carry:

A handgun would be unloaded, and in a enclosed holster or case. A backpack is not a case.

If a detachable magazine is used, just keep seperate from the firearm.

Rifle also unloaded and cased; if you are in rockville, leonardtown, or baltimore

Last edited:

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    If you are willing to answer: Where in Prince George's County do you work and what type of business is it tha makes you feel it may be the target of a robbery? I am not asking for the business name.

PeePeeMcGee

Jun 24, 2013
    NOVA
    I work in a rough area of PG County and we have been broken into multiple times. Also, there have been multiple shootings within a 5-10mi radius of our office.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    It's legal for you to wear/carry the handgun on the business premises, but it is not legal for you to transport a handgun to the business location everyday. Only the owner can transport a handgun to the business.

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment; or

Good point. All the more reason to become a MD Designated Collector for the purposes of an "informal display".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not that I'm particulary endorsing DC status for daily carry to work , but in the OP's case , is it possable for a nonresident to get DC status ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom