• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Guys, forgive me if this has already been covered. I am not a huge fan of the AR, yes, I know I am a heretic. I was informed by a person intimately knowledgeable that it is still legal to purchase an AR15 lower receiver in Md and the dems are fashioning future legislation to correct this flaw in 281.The reason why it's still legal to purchase an AR15 lower is because an Hbar can be built from it. This source says if you call the MSP some will beat around the bush about the legality and some will answer yes you can buy one. This is what I was told by a member of a Maryland police force.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    This may not be a settled question, but the Maryland State Police have taken the position that an AR lower by itself is now banned, and I doubt you'll find a Maryland gun dealer willing to sell you one. You can buy a heavy barreled AR as a complete rifle or you can buy a complete AR pistol. You can also buy AR rifles in calibers other than 5.56/.223.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    This is what I was told by a member of a Maryland police force.

As a police Sergeant, I'll tell you never to ask a cop about fine points of gun laws.

To answer your question, I don't know of an FFL that would sell you a stripped lower in MD right now.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    As a police Sergeant, I'll tell you never to ask a cop about fine points of gun laws.

To answer your question, I don't know of an FFL that would sell you a stripped lower in MD right now.

Sarge, I know exactly what you mean. But getting back to the issue I was informed that if you can convince a dealer to submit the paperwork to the MSP the cannot disapprove the sale because the lower can be used to build an HBAR or a short barreled pistol AR with the applicable fees etc if I remember correctly. This law enforcement gentleperson said the dems are furiously working on flaws in the original 281 and want to keep this info hush hush until they can legally ban the sale of lower receivers.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Sarge, I know exactly what you mean. But getting back to the issue I was informed that if you can convince a dealer to submit the paperwork to the MSP the cannot disapprove the sale because the lower can be used to build an HBAR or a short barreled pistol AR with the applicable fees etc if I remember correctly. This law enforcement gentleperson said the dems are furiously working on flaws in the original 281 and want to keep this info hush hush until they can legally ban the sale of lower receivers.

I wouldn't want to be the FFL that does this. The law was pretty clear and I wouldn't want the spotlight on me anymore than it already is....

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    You can buy a complete AR that's not in a standard .223/5.56 configuration (HBAR, different caliber, etc...).
    You can also buy a stripped lower for an AR that's not .223/5.56.
    AR-10 lowers, 9mm AR-15 lowers, and other dedicated caliber lowers are still kosher.

Check with your FFL and shop around. Some of the industry partners on this site stock different types of lowers.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

I haven't seen anything in Annapolis with this last session (which would have been the time to fix things) or for this upcoming session (They have no clue who will be there and what the committees will look like) regarding any bills that would "fix errors" the other side has found.

I think your friend is blowing smoke, unless he spent more time in Annapolis this pst year than I did?

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    I, respectfully, disagree. I am working on getting this resolved for the dealers, but MSP knows they do not have a leg to stand on.

I wish you the best of luck in that regard, but the fact of the matter is at this time you can not purchase a stripped lower in MD. No FFL will do the transfer.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I, respectfully, disagree. I am working on getting this resolved for the dealers, but MSP knows they do not have a leg to stand on.

I respect you opinion, but I challenge you to find a Maryland FFL who will sell you one today.

I realize things might change, but at this point in time, I stand by my "no." ;)

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    OK, I may stand corrected. Which FFL will allow me to do the paperwork on a .223 HBAR striped lower today?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I respect you opinion, but I challenge you to find a Maryland FFL who will sell you one today.

I realize things might change, but at this point in time, I stand by my "no." ;)

OK, I may stand corrected. Which FFL will allow me to do the paperwork on a .223 HBAR striped lower today?

I understand completely from the business side of things.

No 77R, no lock, no roster, no casing. It's not a handgun. Cash and carry "Other" on a 4473.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Guys, forgive me if this has already been covered. I am not a huge fan of the AR, yes, I know I am a heretic. I was informed by a person intimately knowledgeable that it is still legal to purchase an AR15 lower receiver in Md and the dems are fashioning future legislation to correct this flaw in 281.The reason why it's still legal to purchase an AR15 lower is because an Hbar can be built from it. This source says if you call the MSP some will beat around the bush about the legality and some will answer yes you can buy one. This is what I was told by a member of a Maryland police force.

Why would you keep referring to this as a "flaw"?

Is it also a "flaw" that the HBAR can still be purchased in Md. even though it is an AR-15? And is it a "flaw" that the HBAR can be purchased C&C?

If folks keep focusing on all of the "flaws" they will be focusing us completely out of our 2A rights in the hell hole of a state. The language does not pass the sniff test... :sad20:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I understand completely from the business side of things.

No 77R, no lock, no roster, no casing. It's not a handgun. Cash and carry "Other" on a 4473.
    And well the way it should be based on present laws on the books...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom