• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Figured it was worth checking-

I have a registered SBR that was built on a Form 1 post 10/1. Do I still need to go through the standard HQL procedure or does this count as having a registered weapon?

I assume I still need to go the "standard" route rather than the exempted one... But worth checking!

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    When you bought the rifle or receiver that you turned into an SBR did you fill out regulated paperwork? If so, then it counts.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Negative, not the MD state paperwork. Just the 4473 when I purchased the Rifle, and the Form 1. I'm assuming they need a 77r but I wasn't sure if the NFA paperwork was enough. Figured it was at least worth checking before dropping $160 on a class.

Thanks!

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Is an SBR a regulated firearm? Do you currently possess said regulated firearm?

Without knowing more, I would say that you can almost assuredly use the SBR as a training exemption to the HQL. I see this as no different than a person that moved to the state pre October 1, 2013 and wanted to use a lawfully possessed, never 77Red handgun as their training exemption.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    An SBR is considered a handgun, which is a regulated firearm.

it would seem from the OP that the lower was owned prior to Oct. 1. Maybe that's why it is ok?

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    The lower is a post 10/1 HBAR lower. I will try and get this sorted out today and let you guys know what the verdict is.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, it might, but no matter how it became legal, once it's made, by definition MD says it's a handgun.

Nate should probably jump in. MD law doesn't state how it came into being, just that an SBR is a handgun for statutory purposes.

But IANAL.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I thought that's where te Form 1 vs Form 4 dilemma came into play...

I think we're all over thinking this.

(e) An applicant for a handgun qualification license is not required to complete a firearms safety training course under subsection (d) of this section if the applicant:

(6) lawfully owns a regulated firearm.

The Public Safety Article defines a regulated firearm as:

(r) “Regulated firearm” means:(1) a handgun; or(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:...

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-101

Handgun in the PSA is:
    (n)(1) “Handgun” means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length.(2) “Handgun” includes signal, starter, and blank pistols.

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-101

There are multiple ways to own a regulated firearm without having to complete a 77R. I see no issues using a Form 1 SBR as your training exemption. If your SBR has a barrel less than 16 inches, and you are in lawful possession of the firearm, it can be a training exemption for the HQL, in my opinion. This is not legal advice.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Thanks guys... I do tend to over think things sometimes... Which is occasionally better than under thinking I suppose. I don't want to break the law.
    I'll let you guys know how it works out.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    So if I attempt to complete the online paperwork with the SBR exemption, the worst that can happen is that the HQL is denied correct? Is Glen Burnie the only place I can get a livescan, or is there a place closer to Baltimore?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Live scans are all over. The last time I needed one I got it from a place next to the Court House in Ellicott City.

That's FYI Fingerprinting. Quick and easy. I've had them do atleast 7 sets of prints so far and every time they've been great to work with. Plus for me, it's on the way to MSP in Pikesville. So I get my prints done and then onto MSP to drop them off. Gets everything done in an hour or so.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    For the HQL I can submit prints online right (as in I don't have a choice)? Also - do I still need to do passport pics or is that linked to MVA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom