• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    “[For] someone that was medically evaluated, before I would even return it back to someone where we seized the weapon I will ask for a certificate from the registered owner to produce a doctor's certificate indicating that they are not a threat to themselves or the public," Det. Howard Jones said

What doc would sign off on this. I would imagine them signing would bring them in liability wise if something were to ever happen which would make any doc run for the hills and not sign.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I find it interesting that the police are being trained to ask if there are guns in the house.

That is nothing new.

I was a police officer for 30 years and we were always trained to inquire about weapons, specifically guns, in domestic situations, and other situations as well.

ScottR

Mark it Zero Dude!!!
    Feb 18, 2013
    Belair MD
    “[For] someone that was medically evaluated, before I would even return it back to someone where we seized the weapon I will ask for a certificate from the registered owner to produce a doctor's certificate indicating that they are not a threat to themselves or the public," Det. Howard Jones said

What doc would sign off on this. I would imagine them signing would bring them in liability wise if something were to ever happen which would make any doc run for the hills and not sign.

I think you're on to something there

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    That is nothing new.

I was a police officer for 30 years and we were always trained to inquire about weapons, specifically guns, in domestic situations, and other situations as well.

And what is the proper way to decline to answer? I would never lie to a LEO doing his job, but personally would prefer not to tell the truth.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

Maybe the opposite way would be more interesting. A doctor's not stating you are a threat before they can take your arms. Put the burden on the governement. The affirmative defense thing is getting annoyoing.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Voluntary seizure. Backed by law. Orwell rides again.
    vg.jpg

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    "...police can then suggest they take it for safekeeping, a voluntary and temporary seizure..."

Gee, I wonder how that conversation goes...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I wouldn't write that note. My liability is too high. Now imagine asking a less 2A friendly doc......:sad20:

It's a fundamental Right. The onus is on the State to prove you are a danger to yourself, not for you to prove you are not either directly or by proxy.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The woman in Dundalk who had her husband killed, used this "safekeeping" process to make sure her husband couldn't defend himself. DESPITE THE FACT SHE WAS A DRUG ADDICT. He was shot and killed by her brother and some other accomplices:

(Read the in-depth story about how Brian Frosh's domestic "disarmament without due process" law was used by this dope addict to disarm, then kill her husband, here: http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/05/barkeep_robert_lee_martin_murd.php )

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Did they inquire about knives, forks, shovels, and baseball bats, and seize them, too?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second.

Why isn't there a place someone could store a firearm for safe keeping? Hypothetically speaking, let's say a person owns a gun for self defense, but he is going through a really hard time. He feels tempted to end it, but he knows he doesn't want to, but he wants to be rid of the temptation.

Now let's say said person doesn't have a friend or family member willing to take it.

What does he do? Sell it? Surrender it?

Circa 2005 this happened to me.
    I had caught my (obviously ex) girlfriend cheating on me and said/yelled some less than kind things to her and went home. An hour later BPD showed up to "talk to me". They asked if they could take my firearms to their vehicle "for safekeeping" while they sorted things out- she obviously told them I had guns. When they left, my firearms left with them.
    Once they take firearms in to safekeeping, it is VERY hard to get them back. It took me almost 2 years to get mine back and that was after psych evaluations, producing documentation to prove I owned them, etc. My doctor even wrote a letter that I was not under any psychiatric care or on any medications- she was careful in her wording to not to cross the "liability line".
    The kicker is that I was never charged with anything, let alone convicted of anything.

After that incident, I vowed that on duty law enforcement will never enter my home again without a warrant.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    "This is not about infringing on anyone's second amendment rights. It is not about taking a gun away from a person. It is about making sure our citizens are safe and removing a potential threat that could cause someone to be a victim," Baltimore police Sgt. Jarron Jackson said.

Benjamin Franklin was quoted, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I think this scenario could happen to most individuals. That's why it is always good to not keep all you eggs in one basket.;)

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Circa 2005 this happened to me.
    I had caught my (obviously ex) girlfriend cheating on me and said/yelled some less than kind things to her and went home. An hour later BPD showed up to "talk to me". They asked if they could take my firearms to their vehicle "for safekeeping" while they sorted things out- she obviously told them I had guns. When they left, my firearms left with them.
    Once they take firearms in to safekeeping, it is VERY hard to get them back. It took me almost 2 years to get mine back and that was after psych evaluations, producing documentation to prove I owned them, etc. My doctor even wrote a letter that I was not under any psychiatric care or on any medications- she was careful in her wording to not to cross the "liability line".
    The kicker is that I was never charged with anything, let alone convicted of anything.

After that incident, I vowed that on duty law enforcement will never enter my home again without a warrant.

This answers my question, "How/When do you get them back?". I suspect it will be even harder if you have anything at all questionable on your record. Anyone that voluntarily does this is a fool. (not calling you a fool, I am sure you learned your lesson)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom