• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    I know there is a lot of IT guys in here. Looking for someone to make a website for me on the side. Please email me for details.

Thank you.

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    IT guys != web guys. It takes a special breed to build a really nice web page, part artist for sure. I write code all day long, but suck at building web pages.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    IT guys != web guys. It takes a special breed to build a really nice web page, part artist for sure. I write code all day long, but suck at building web pages.

I was gonna say it but you beat me to it.

I can program Java applications and Oracle database out the wazoo, but make me design a static web page and it will be battleship grey and all text without a single graphic. lol.

johnb007

Jul 6, 2011

I was gonna say it but you beat me to it.

I can program Java applications and Oracle database out the wazoo, but make me design a static web page and it will be battleship grey and all text without a single graphic. lol.

Bingo. I can do anything, including a quick WordPress install, but web design is a mix of tech and talent! I lack the creative talent.

Sent from my hideout using carrier pigeons!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Labrador Designs and I think he is is Harford County. Scott Moody has done a bunch of websites for people and is also a very nice wildlife photographer in published in Ducks Unlimited many times.

He can make logo's and anything else you need. Here is some of his logo's on this website he made for other guys.

Tell him Rob Goebel with MDWFA, or Archeryrob, sent you to him.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

So true! I can do a lot of IT things but I could never seem to master the art of web design and web coding. I tend to be an mainframe dinosaur at times!

I am also in need of a good web person to overhaul my site!

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Agreed that the developer/designer is a rare breed but the population is growing.

OP, you probably already have some help from the previous posters but if you didn't find what you are looking for I can perhaps give you some insight. I'm still at work waiting for a process to finish so I'll just give you some notes...

There are two basic kinds of web sites that you can build beyond a basic set of static HTML pages:

1) A site where you create content and display it to the world. This is a CMS (content management system). WordPress is by far the largest player in that game and has a myriad plugins and themes (some are free, but not all). Take a look at www.BindTuning.com for some ideas about what you can get for a few dollars without code and have a beautiful design. WP developers are also available to create plugins or modify existing themes for you and are reasonably priced. You can build e-commerce into WP as well as community involvement sites. A full-blown forum is a different thing but it doesn't sound like you want that anyway. If you want a designer that does great work I can connect you with one of the people who did the designs for my company on iplayboy.com (NSFW). They aren't cheap but they do world class work.

2) A web application. This is a bunch of custom code written to perform a specific task that you want to make available on the web. Much of the code from these applications can be morphed into an iOS or Android application but that's not required. Web apps can do nearly anything an installed application can do except access local network resources on your computer. That is changing somewhat though with the stabilization of the HTML5 spec and ECMA-6. I wrote a book last year on the topic of HTML5 apps so I've got a few good resources in the industry if you want to contact someone for serious custom work. I don't personally have the bandwidth at the moment. Note that if you want a custom web application, you will also need a site to go around it since it will probably reside on one or two pages. Unless you are doing a google maps where there is no surrounding content you will probably still need a CMS to go with your app.

If you have questions, ask them on this thread. It would be great to get more people in the 2a community with great content ideas started so the more knowledge we can get out there the better.

Just my .02. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom