• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well I came back from the NSSF NC Regional Rimfire Challenge with a barrel prize. I used to say that the 10/22 was the dark side of rimfire because I bought just about everything else. I already have 2 racegun S&W 15-22s and a racegun Taccom AR-22. Now it looks like I'm going to have a 10/22 racegun also. Second best prize in the prize drawing was a Volquartsen Ultralite carbon fiber THM barrel with a forward blow comp all in black. Probably the only guy in the field that did not own a 10/22. Even my teammate Mike offered to trade me stuff for it. Then I swore I was not going to buy anything to go with it until the world championship was over in early Oct. That vow lasted about 10 hours. Before Sunday was history I already bought a Timney trigger group and a VQ competition bolt assembly off RSC. By the time I got off work on Monday I had won a Magnum Research Lite stock in black and a new-in-the-box Ruger alloy receiver both off GunBroker. Then went back to RSC and bought 5 of the new clear mags and a Tac Sol Picatinny rail. Then I went to Valley Guns II to do the deal on the receiver and walked out with one of the new Ruger 3-packs of mags. This is the second time I have won a part and built any entire firearm out of it. Only the last time it was an AR stock off the world championship prize table that led me to build and start shooting 3-gun.
    How old do you have to be before winning a prize leads to spending even more money like a kid with his first toy. I have 5 .22LR rifles already. Maybe Larry Potterfield has a point. How many of anything do you need? At least one more.
    (GBA= Gun Buying Addiction).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Even though I am a photographer I am lazy for shooting pics of my own stuff. I took the 10/22 with me to the NSSF Rimfire Challenge World Championships in Arkansas this last weekend as my backup rifle. I did shoot it in practice but decided to stay with my custom S&W 15-22 for the actual match. I do plan on shooting it at this weekends MPC matches and the following weekends NSSF NJ Regional and in the PA State Steel Challenge in the Rimfire Rifle division match. Also won a certificate for a Taccom AR-22 barrel at the NSSF RC WC event. Going to talk the owner, Tim, into using it to buy one of the new carbon fiber AR-22 barrels and update the alloy one I have in my AR-22.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    It sounds like someone is having too much fun.

I finally got my first 10/22 a few years ago. The only problem is that they seem to multiply in the safe.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Am I the only one that wants a melonited 10/22 barrel? The thing would literally never be able to be shot out, you could hand it down to your great great great grand children.

Mu buddy sent his Mark II to H&M a couple years ago and although I know .22LR isn't known as a barrel burner the bore and throat look EXACTLY the same after all this time and many many thousands of rounds later as it did when he got it back from them.

Also, it doesn't rust on the backstrap any more either.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Am I the only one that wants a melonited 10/22 barrel? The thing would literally never be able to be shot out, you could hand it down to your great great great grand children.

Mu buddy sent his Mark II to H&M a couple years ago and although I know .22LR isn't known as a barrel burner the bore and throat look EXACTLY the same after all this time and many many thousands of rounds later as it did when he got it back from them.

Also, it doesn't rust on the backstrap any more either.
    I am not a big fan of internal barrel coatings because they all tend to reduce accuracy whether that is a chrome or whatever coating. One reason 99% of match guns are stainless steel. SS won't last as long but you have to choose between long life or the best accuracy (everything else being equal). Any coating put down will increase the size of any imperfection in the barrel or rifling because as they cover it the imperfection gets larger and higher in the bore. Not saying you should not do it. Just that it is not for me. I generally don't buy chrome lined AR barrels either for the same reason.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Finally got a chance to shoot the new 10/22 in a couple of matches and I must say my race S&W 15-22 is likely to get relegated to backup gun status. Set a personal best (and possible club record) in the MPC Speed Steel Stage 5, inspite of using a $29 Walther Competition II red dot, of 5 plates in 1.26s (previous best was 1.35s with the 15-22). Also shot a 1.34s, a 1.38s and a 1.41s. Got home Saturday and found my Allchin 10/22 C-More mount in the mail box so swapped one of my C-Mores on it for Sunday's Rimfire Falling Steel Match. Shot 4.95s and 4.96s runs on the 9 plate 4" knockdown steel plus several in the low to mid 5s range. Have not done that well all year. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend in the NJ NSSF and PA Steel Challenge events. Like to see if I can beat my 58 second combined rifle score in the PNTC Steel Challenge on 11/1.
    I talked to Cole at PNTC about running a monthly or semi-monthly NSSF Rimfire challenge match next year and it is a possibility. Would be say 8 stages of 5-7 static steel made up of 4 actual stages in which the rifle stages would be the same as pistol but with the shooting box pulled back an additional 10 yards. A fairly common way to do it when you don't have 8 or so bays available. That way you only need 6 bays to do 12 stages like the NSSF North Caroline Regional I attended in late September if you want to do a regional event.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Results of the NJ NSSF Rimfire Challenge regional was Mike first and me second with less than a second difference between our combined scores. Then we drove to Guthville, PA for the PA State Steel Challenge on Sunday. Was unseasonably chilly. Wore layers but only felt comfortable during 2 of the 8 stages. Mike finished 9th in Rimfire Rifle Open and me 12th. He finished 7th in RF Pistol Open and me 19th. We both need to shoot more Steel Challenge to compete better.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Welcome to the sickness! be careful, 10/22's are addicting. Im a recreational .22LR shooter. I have a few 10/22's. My rimfire collection is still small, but it is steadily growing.
    7 rimfire handguns and 8 .22 rifles. I have even built a Buckmark speed pistol for steel shooting. I wish I had the time to start competing.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have 2 Buckmark raceguns one of which doubles as an open backup or an iron sight limited pistol.
    In the November Speed Steel event at MPC I shot a combined club match record with the 10/22 of 32.67s for the five stages, lowering the record for a single run set last month down to a 1.21s.
    Now I am working on building the backup to the 10/22. Got to have one of those also. Took the parts I removed from the receiver I bought, bolt and trigger assembly, and updated them with parts from VQ (trigger kit, firing pin and extractor), bought an aftermarket bolt handle, guide rod and recoil spring plus TacSol V-block. Bought a stripped receiver off GB and another MRI stock. Now all I need is a barrel. Going for an alloy one to save money but it all depends on the next good deal I find as to what brand it is. Probably going to go with an unthreaded one just to save an extra $50 as I won't use it much except practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom