• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winterfaust

Large Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    How many outdoor rifle positions are there? What's the distance? Bench shooting only?

10. ranging 25, 50, 100, 200
    you can shoot at the line outside of the box standing or prone. I would ask the RO before doing so though if you have never been there before.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    People always question me about the box when I post pictures. What exactly is the purpose? I know they contain some of the muzzle blast because you can see how beat up they are on the inside. However, sine you are allowed to shoot standing or prone outside of the box, that can't be the sole reason. I really don't mind them because when you are shooting you don't even notice them. I'm just curious, anyone know the answer?

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    People always question me about the box when I post pictures. What exactly is the purpose? I know they contain some of the muzzle blast because you can see how beat up they are on the inside. However, sine you are allowed to shoot standing or prone outside of the box, that can't be the sole reason. I really don't mind them because when you are shooting you don't even notice them. I'm just curious, anyone know the answer?

This is just a guess but I think the box is primarily intended for loud guns like muzzleloaders or guns that have brakes but the regulations are universal for all guns. The thing I don't understand is that Hap is louder then the other outdoor ranges that I have visited that don't have shoot though boxes.

I was told it's best to be considerate when standing if your neighbor is being effected by the blast.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    It's louder because of the enclosure around the shooting area.

That makes perfect sense. I too don't see the box anymore when I shoot and in some ways it adds to blocking out peripheral light so you can focus on the target a little better when shooting with irons.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Everyone has tunnel vision when target shooting. One time last fall, my wife was shooting our Mini 14 and I was loading some magazines. I looked down range and 3 deer ran across the range between 100 and 200 yards. I looked down the line and not a single other person in the place noticed them, not even the RO's.

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    Looking to head up there tomorrow from Reisterstown. Have to wait for my new scope to come sometime tomorrow so I can sight in my muzzle loader and my mka1919. Do they have targets or should I bring my own? Do they take cc or cash only?

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    make sure you take slugs for the 1919 im pretty sure they wont let you shoot anything beside slug in a shotgun

ffrobbyrob

Mar 3, 2007
    Finksburg
    Thanks. Yes slugs will be coming with me as soon as fedex gets here. I waited all day yesterday for them til 645p to only come home later to sticker on door saying that had been there.

Col. Longshot

Mar 7, 2013
    carroll county
    10. ranging 25, 50, 100, 200
    you can shoot at the line outside of the box standing or prone. I would ask the RO before doing so though if you have never been there before.
    A word about the shooting box. We allow shooting offhand at the firing line which runs under the box. If your not well into the box your muzzle could be behind the firing line. This is a safety problem we can't allow

Onwrd Farm

Ultimate Member
    Feb 17, 2013
    Carroll County
    Packed up and headed to Haps at 1400 this afternoon for a couple hours of punching holes in paper on the pistol range. Sadly the gate was closed and locked even though the sign stated open till 1630 today. Anybody know why they were closed or did I read the sign wrong or what? Love Haps and was really looking forward to doing some shooting today.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Closed pistol range until Feb. 15 for renovation. Also the range is only open Fri-Sun this time of the year.

Last edited:

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Thinking of heading out to sight in and put a few rounds through my new to me Ruger Precision Rifle. I need to get ammo before heading out so I am worried if I don't get there at 10AM SHARP I will be waiting for hours for a lane and most likely just head back home. It is an hour drive so if the hive mind thinks getting there at 11ish would be a foolhardy mission I will just wait for Spring and weekday times to head out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom