• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goldie

Feb 27, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Hi all, I'm new to the board and am wondering about some of the issues involved in relocating to MD from VA.

I anticipate buying a house in PGC at the end of 2011, moving from Old Town Alexandria. I understand MD is way more restrictive than VA, and had some questions (and would welcome any general advice).

- Should I stock up on high-cap mags? It looks like possession is legal, just not buying/selling/etc. So if I moved to the state already in possession, I'd be okay, right?

- Any unusual caveats with Class III/NFA items? I have an "NFA trust" and at least one item (no MGs, nor any interest), will that pose a problem? Likewise, would I be better off to buy now if I was planning on a SBS (short shotgun) or suppressor? Or is it the same general process in MD?

- What's the story with assault weapons? I've been trying to do homework, but man your state makes it difficult. I think I'm definitely better off buying now since the availability and lack of tomfoolery make it easier here, but what about bringing them in? Do I have to do anything special (register, tax, declare, etc) assault rifles and pistols? Do .22LR rimfire assault weapons fall under the same rules as their larger-caliber counterparts? I'm specifically thinking my GSG-5 and SIG P522 SWAT would make for laughable "assault" weapons, but I understand MSP may not share my sense of humor.

- Ammo? I've grown accustomed to mail-order and Wal-Mart ammo, is it any more difficult in MD?

- Any restrictions on inside-the-home? I expect the majority of firearms would stay locked in a safe, and at least one handgun & assault pistol would stay ready to rock. My general approach would be if someone was B&E, I'd lock my bedroom door and wait until I had no choice, not go looking for confrontation. No children in the house or anything. VA lacks a castle doctrine, not sure where MD stands.

I'm not too concerned about CCW. I have a FL and VA permit, but I've carried once in the last 5 years, and don't really think I'll miss the ability.

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but going from FL to VA to MD seems like I'll have a lot more regulations to juggle than I'm used to.

Thanks!

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    If you can buy stuff legally in your state and bring it here with no registration BS, of course.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    All the firearms issues aside, I would think long and hard about investing money into real estate anywhere in PGC. If you already know the neighborhood through someone who lives there, maybe. Just moving somewhere in PGC based on logistics and real estate prices is risky. Homes are cheap in PGC for a reason. The only goverment service that works in that place is the dept. Of revenue, otherwise it is the frontier. Also, make sure to get a whole-house backup genny that runs on gas or diesel, neither Pepco nor Washington Gas or WSSC are known for their service reliability or ability to respond to emergencies (like 'rain').

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    If you have the option to stay in VA, don't move to MD. If you have to move to MD, try to stay away from PGC. Just my opinion. Otherwise, welcome to the group.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    Hello Goldie and welcome,

I brought some handguns and a rifle when I moved to MD. Registration is optional and I 've had no issues with the hi-cap mags that I owned prior.

Possession of hi-cap mags is legal, just cannot buy,sell or transfer

Someone knowledgeable will be along shortly RE: Assault weapons and NFA stuff.

MD acknowledges use of deadly force in the home for protection of life (not property though)

Last edited:

goldie

Feb 27, 2011
    Montgomery County
    LOL, you guys make a terrible case for MD relocation.

Trust me, it's been a long though-out move. If I were to stay in VA, I'd want to stay in Old Town, and my ideal townhouse would run $650-$850k before taxes/fees/etc, and that's just not possible.

West Hyattsville Arts District is textbook gentrification, so I'm not confused as to why it's so much cheaper, but I was very impressed with the homes, and that $750k VA townhouse is brand-new, built-to-order exactly as I want in a planned district for $379k. The neighborhood is an island right now, and I did my homework to be sure I'd be comfortable if nothing new ever came up around it and it remained the only nice thing in the area (I would).

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    MD is pretty NFA friendly considering the other foolish gun laws we have. Some ranges will not allow any NFA toys but many others just ask that you have a copy of the ATF paperwork in case you are asked about it.

Assault rifles... they can be bought on the same paperwork used to buy a handgun. $10 state police fee and a seven day wait. There is a 1 gun every 30 day law, but that can be legally dealt with by filling a simple free form out and mailing it to the state police.

No restrictions on AR's or AK's, just the mag rule. The GSG-5 is 100% legal.

There is a list of illegal assault pistols that are no no, but that is really it.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    REVERSE, REVERSE, ABORT, ABORT, CHANGE COURSE!

Stay in VA, seriously. PG County is a giant sespool on the Potomac.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    LOL, you guys make a terrible case for MD relocation.

As the old Pontiac ad said: 'Ask the man who owns one.'

, and that $750k VA townhouse is brand-new, built-to-order exactly as I want in a planned district for $379k. The neighborhood is an island right now, and I did my homework to be sure I'd be comfortable if nothing new ever came up around it and it remained the only nice thing in the area (I would).

Believe me, you get what you pay for.

The problem with being one of the 'marines of gentrification' is that you are still a beachhead on an island surrounded by unfriendly natives who are all too willing to make 'your stuff' 'their stuff'. To make matters worse in PG, you have no backup.
    PG had 13 homicides in the first 13 days of the year, there are whole states in this wonderful country that see less violence in a year. Granted, most of the bloodshed in PG is crook on crook violence, still.plenty of good folks who get victimized.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    If anything on this list:
    http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf

interests you, buy it while you're a VA resident to avoid the MD paperwork BS. All of these guns are 100% legal to own and for you to bring with you.

Your SIG 522 or gsg are absolutely fine to bring, and most dealers in MD now sell them as unregulated.

Assault pistols like Tec-9's are verboten. Sell them now if you have them.

An assault pistol is defined as any of the following specified firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured the firearm:
    AA Arms AP-9 semi-automatics
    Bushmaster semi-automatic pistol;
    Claridge HI-TEC, semi-automatic pistol;
    D Max Industries semi-automatic pistol;
    Encom MK-IV, MP-9, MP-45 semi-automatic pistols;
    Heckler and Koch semi-automatic pistol SP-89;
    Holmes MP-83 semi-automatic pistol;
    Ingram MAC 10/11 semi-automatic pistol and any variation including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
    Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 in any centerfire variation;
    P.A.W.S. type semi-automatic pistol;
    Skorpion semi-automatic pistol;
    Spectre double action semi-automatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
    UZI semi-automatic pistol;
    Weaver Arms semi-automatic Nighthawk pistol; and
    Wilkinson semi-automatic "Linda" pistol.

If you want to buy something NOT on THE FOLLOWING LIST, buy it before you move. Legal to own, not to buy in MD (there are some exceptions, but we can confuse you with those later. :rolleyes: )

http://www.mdsp.org/services/handgun.asp

And here's some FAQ's and answers that may help:
    http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm

goldie

Feb 27, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Good information, thanks.

As for PGC being a disaster...yeah, I know. I work in deep SE DC so at least I'd still be going home to a nicer place at the end of the day =)

As for "getting what you pay for," I can't pay $800k for a townhouse so that's a non-issue. It's between ~$350 in Hyattsville for a house that's 99% of my wishlist, or ~3-400k in the MD or VA suburbs for an awesome house in a place I don't want to be. My #1/#2 priorities are cost and location, really an intersection of the two. I want a walkable neighborhood (bars/restaurants within half a mile), close to the city, and ample convenient public transit. Ideally, I'd love to stay in Old Town, but I can't afford to buy anything close to what I want, and paying $2300/mo in rent is getting old quick.

Honestly, if I'd known I was going to plan on moving to MD, I wouldn't have taken up firearms as a hobby. As such, it seems like I can still get most of the benefits of firearm ownership that matter to me, and I can afford a home I'm happy to walk into every day (except maybe the days where it's been broken into ;)

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Assuming you're bent on doing this....

1. Stock up on full-cap mags some, but also remember that you are never more than 90 minutes from a free state. You can buy more later.

2. NFA isn't a problem. MGs have to be registered annually, be sure to do so. And fill out the ATF Form 5s.

3. Buy ARs, AKs, etc. now. It'll be cheaper and more convenient.

4. Ammo is no problem.

5. If you are into high-end target pistols, buy now.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    As for PGC being a disaster...yeah, I know. I work in deep SE DC so at least I'd still be going home to a nicer place at the end of the day =)

The folks who used to be in SE DC are now in PG and Waldorf ;), on the upside you'll like going to work a lot more.

goldie

Feb 27, 2011
    Montgomery County
    LOL @Traveller.

5. If you are into high-end target pistols, buy now.

Why is that? Simply higher cost in MD or are there additional regulations? I did make it to a range in MD a month or so ago and the guy mentioned they can't keep Kimbers on the shelf.

I'm definitely going to make good use of the next few Chantilly gun shows and some FTF purchases. Kinda tough to justify dropping too much cash when I'm preparing to buy a house, but I'd rather avoid any headaches and get out in front of purchases I would like to make in the next few years.

goldie

Feb 27, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Assault pistols like Tec-9's are verboten. Sell them now if you have them.

Hmmm, you say the 522 is okay, but it's definitely an "assault pistol" (I have no idea what half the stuff on that list is).

SigP522.jpg

Is the list of banned APs considered a "living document" that they might edit to include Sig P556 (and its copy/little brother, the P522)?

This thing is sweet and now plays host to various Class III goodies, I'd hate to give it up.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Various high quality, low production semicustom pistols are not on Handgun Roster. Not worth the hassle for mfg.

You are a grownup and make your own decisions. BUT here has been close to a 20 year effort to yuppiefy that area, and what you see is the cumulative effort, not a new trend just taking off. Carefully reexamine your interpetations and rankings of location and value.

Old Town is nice, but there are several other neighborhoods in NVA that feature walkable stuff, and are on the upswing. Shirlington and Clarendon pop to mind, but I'm sure others can chime in.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Hmmm, you say the 522 is okay, but it's definitely an "assault pistol" (I have no idea what half the stuff on that list is).

Is the list of banned APs considered a "living document" that they might edit to include Sig P556 (and its copy/little brother, the P522)?

This thing is sweet and now plays host to various Class III goodies, I'd hate to give it up.

I believe the assault pistols list was a result of legislation and signed by a governor. Since I moved here I have not heard of any new additions. AFAK the state police doesn't have the authority to add to the list.

BTW, the SIG P556 is on the approved handgun list. It would be difficult for them to say it is an assault pistol since they approved it for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom