• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arekeon27

Nov 8, 2014
    Silver Spring MD
    Apologies if a similar question was answered previously but I didn't see anything. I received a ruger .22 revolver from my parents ~4 years ago as a Christmas gift in PA (Im a MD resident but visit PA for the holidays). Always kept it up there but now they are moving and I wanted to add it to my rifle collection here in MD.

Since I owned this handgun before October 2013 will I need to get a MD Handgun permit to bring it down here legally? I imagine the answer is yes but I wanted to tap the collective wisdom of the MD Shooter forums. Thanks.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    A handgun permit is to carry, a handgun license is to buy (abbreviated HQL) You are merely transporting something you owned prior to Oct 2013 and need neither.

If you were not a MD resident before 10/2013 you need to register it.
    If you are not 21 or older (now) you can't legally possess it in MD.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Was it transferred at an FFL?
    If YES bring it on down pre 10/1
    If NO need HQL and FFL because its interstate.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Background question #1 - At the time your parents gave you the revolver , were you a resident of Pa ( ie you and parents being residents of PA ) ? If not the initial transfer to you needs to go through an FFL in Md.

Subscenario #1 - You were Pa resident at time of gift , and then became Md resident before 10/01/13 - you are fine with on action required.

Subscenario #2 - You were Pa resident at time of gift , but become a Md resident after 10/01/13 , you need to register it within 30days of becoming Md resident. HQL not required.

DamnifIknow scenario - You were a Pa resident when you aquired the revolver. You became Md resident after 10/01/13 , but more than 30 days ago, but have never physically brought he gun into Md .

Congradulations ! That's a scenario that neither *we* nor the Md General Assembly ever thought of. You didn't mention your age , but while in Pa a handgun may be gifted within the family at 18yo , in Md you must be 21yo to posses one.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    If only our fore fathers could see what we have to go through with guns today...hahahaha They would be looking at each other going.....WTF!!! :-)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Technically them giving you the pistol was against Federal law. As you cannot transfer a handgun from a resident of one state to a resident of another state, without going through an FFL in the state of residence of the recipient.

So they allowed you to USE a pistol they bought from themselves. But NOW want to give it to you, so it will have to be sent (or taken by them) to an FFL in MD for transfer.

arekeon27

Nov 8, 2014
    Silver Spring MD
    A handgun permit is to carry, a handgun license is to buy (abbreviated HQL) You are merely transporting something you owned prior to Oct 2013 and need neither.

If you were not a MD resident before 10/2013 you need to register it.
    If you are not 21 or older (now) you can't legally possess it in MD.

Definitely a MD resident before 2013 and have been over 21 for a good 10 years.

Background question #1 - At the time your parents gave you the revolver , were you a resident of Pa ( ie you and parents being residents of PA ) ? If not the initial transfer to you needs to go through an FFL in Md.

Subscenario #1 - You were Pa resident at time of gift , and then became Md resident before 10/01/13 - you are fine with on action required.

Subscenario #2 - You were Pa resident at time of gift , but become a Md resident after 10/01/13 , you need to register it within 30days of becoming Md resident. HQL not required.

DamnifIknow scenario - You were a Pa resident when you aquired the revolver. You became Md resident after 10/01/13 , but more than 30 days ago, but have never physically brought he gun into Md .

Congradulations ! That's a scenario that neither *we* nor the Md General Assembly ever thought of. You didn't mention your age , but while in Pa a handgun may be gifted within the family at 18yo , in Md you must be 21yo to posses one.

No I was a resident of MD but my parent were residents of PA. Thus subscenario #1 & #2 are not me. I'm 32 now so I've been well over 21 for a while.

If only our fore fathers could see what we have to go through with guns today...hahahaha They would be looking at each other going.....WTF!!! :-)

Tell me about it....

Technically them giving you the pistol was against Federal law. As you cannot transfer a handgun from a resident of one state to a resident of another state, without going through an FFL in the state of residence of the recipient.

So they allowed you to USE a pistol they bought from themselves. But NOW want to give it to you, so it will have to be sent (or taken by them) to an FFL in MD for transfer.

Sorry that's what I meant...poor wording last night.

Looks like I'll need an FFL and a MD handgun permit. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Handgun Qualification License (HQL), not a handgun permit. A permit enables you to actually carry a handgun with you in this communist state. Don't get the two confused because if you try to to get a handgun permit...good luck :mad54:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    UNLESS , said Ruger revolver is an early Single Six or Bearcat mfg before 1965 , in which case transfer must be made through a Maryland based FFL , but HQL is NOT required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom