• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Saw this posted a week & a half ago on kelkye.com, but haven't found any traffic here about it. I believe the first two offerings of this course at Frederick IWLA filled up pretty quickly.

http://kelkye.com/maryland-qualified-handgun-instructor-prep-course-2/

Here are the details from the registration form:

To provide experienced handgun instructors the opportunity to review the class, complete the Practical Police Course, receive a completion certificate, then submit an application for Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor certification.

Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructors (MSPQHI's) are empowered (COMAR 29.03.02.13) to administer and certify training, before handgun permits are issued or renewed, for certain individuals, including; Holders of a Special Police Commission, Uniformed Security Guards, Special Railway Police, Watchman, Private Detectives and their Employees and Bank and Armored Car Guards.

Policies supporting recently enacted legislation may also require that all new handgun owners receive training from a certified Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructor.

Course Objectives

1. Review care, safety and use of a firearm as well as legal considerations.
    2. Complete and successfully pass the MSP Police Practical Course (PPC) with a score of 80% or better.
    3. Develop skills and learn strategies & techniques for successful instruction and qualification of applicants.
    4. Assemble & submit a successful Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructor application package.

Experience Requirements

Registrants must be able to provide the MSP satisfactory evidence of at least one year of experience instructing in the care, safety and use of handguns.
    Typical proof of experience may include NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO, MD Hunter Safety Instructor, Military experience, etc.

Class Limit

40 – This class will be strictly limited to 40 students. Reserve your spot today, before the class is full.

Registration Fee

Frederick Chapter #1 IWLA Members in good standing
    $120.00

All Others
    $150.00

Late Registration Fee (Starting 8/1)
    $50 Additional

Registration fees includes the following;

• Instruction & course materials
    • Range Target
    • Assistance completing MSPQHI application form
    • On-site Passport photographs
    • On-site Maryland Notary to witness your application signature
    • Course completion certificate
    • Password protected download link for Instructors PowerPoint Presentation, Completion Certificate Template & Instruction Materials

Advanced Registration Required – No walk-ins will be permitted.

***All proceeds from this class to benefit the Frederick #1 Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America Youth Program***

Instructors

The course will be taught by experienced firearms instructors, each of whom holds a current Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor certification and whose credentials include;

• NRA Master Training Counselor
    • NRA Training Counselor
    • NRA Certified Instructor
    • NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    • NRA Range Safety Officers
    • Maryland Licensed Private Investigator

Course Description

The course will be divided into three parts;

PART 1 – Example Maryland Qualification Course (8 hrs minimum)
    A. Lecture of Safety
    A minimum of one hour discussing and demonstrating safety with the handgun on the range, off the range, at home, transporting, and while on duty.
    Safety shall be given priority over all other aspects of training and should be integrated into every phase of the training.

B. Training Regarding Legal Responsibilities
    A minimum of one hour instruction on when a person has the legal right to use the firearms.

C. Care and use of a handgun
    A minimum of 6 hours of training in nomenclature, maintenance, sight alignment, position shooting, dry-firing and range practice and qualification shall be given.

Part 2 – Strategies & techniques for successful instruction & certification (1 hr.)

Part 3 – Applying for MSPQHI Certification (1 hr.)
    Assistance completing the application
    Passport Photographs
    Notary services

Course Requirements

A qualifying score of >70% shall be fired on a practical police course (not more than 25 yards) in order to qualify.
    However, a score of >80% shall be fired in order to be eligible to apply for Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructor Certification.

Equipment Checklist

Required Materials
    [ ] A .38 caliber revolver with a 2-6 inch barrel, or a 9mm pistol
    [ ] Four magazines or four speed loaders
    [ ] Holster (OWB Preferred)
    [ ] Belt magazine pouch/carrier or speed loader pouch/carrier (as applicable)
    [ ] One hundred rounds ammunition (minimum, no steel)
    [ ] Eye Protection (must be ANSI Rated)
    [ ] Hearing Protection (Minimum NRR greater than 26DB, Active/Electronic Preferred)
    [ ] NRA Basic Pistol Manual
    [ ] Pen & paper for taking notes
    [ ] Valid driver’s license or current state issued photo ID (for the Notary and to include a copy with your application)
    [ ] Appropriate clothing for weather
    [ ] Cash for sodas, coffee or pizza

MSPQHI Application Documentation Checklist
    [ ] A completed, but unsigned copy of your typewritten MSP Qualified Handgun Instructor Application downloaded from here
    [ ] NRA Instructor/RSO ID Card
    [ ] Hunter Safety Instructor ID Card (if applicable)
    [ ] Printed copies of your class instructor dates & roster from www.NRAInstructors.org (if applicable)
    [ ] Gun Club (IWLA, AGC, etc.) ID Card (if applicable)
    [ ] NRA course competition certificates
    [ ] Any State Issued Concealed Carry Permits (if applicable)
    [ ] A copy of your DD214 (if applicable)
    [ ] A copy of your Maryland Designated Firearm Collector approval letter
    [ ] Any other documentation that would support your claim to have taught the care safety and use of firearms for more than one year

Notice: This course is not sponsored, endorsed by, or affiliated with the Maryland State Police or any state agency. The Maryland State Police evaluate and approve all Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor applications. Attendance or completion of this class will not guaranty, nor can anyone guaranty approval of your application.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I have the privilege of working with Ben for well over a year now.

As one of 50 or so NRA Master Training Counselors, Ben teaches nearly a thousand students and instructor candidates every year - and he has done so for more than twenty years. He does this on his evenings and weekends, without pay.

Even though Ben offers some of the lowest priced NRA courses, what little profit he does receive from his NRA, MD Hunter Safety and other classes goes right back into the IWLA's award winning Youth Group. It pays for 22 rifles, ammo, snacks, t-shirts, competition travel and other needs.

The Youth Group, whose instructors Ben leads every other weekend, again as a volunteer, won first place this year at State. The IWLA Youth Group represents the next generation of responsible gun owners and 2A supporters.

Ben is so well liked and respected that the County Sheriff, the County Council President and dozens of other prominent families have enrolled their children in the IWLA Youth Group and entrusted them to Ben's care. Im not even going to elaberate on his induction into the Sportsman's Hall of Fame or how much he cares about his students, instructors, wildlife and the outdoors.

Known for his knowledge, professionalism and dedication Ben, has trained RSO's for almost every Federal and State Agency in the DC Metro Area. In fact, the NRA thinks so much of Ben, they picked him to deliver the very first (that I know of) NRA Advanced Defensive Pistol Course.

Ben traveled to Annapolis not once or twice for MD gun owners, but four times - only to wait around all day to be able to testify against pending legislation. He was asked to appear twice before legislators as an expert witness.

Another indication of Ben's popularity is how many of the instructors he trained come back to assist him with NRA and other classes that Ben volunteers to teach nearly every weekend. It is not unusual to have so many returning assistant instructors that there is a 1:1 student to instructor ratio.

The thing I like most about Ben, is his tireless support for the shooting sports and that he sets an example by being a positive role model. I have never heard Ben disparage or criticize a student, or another instructor. That type of instructor is not someone I would care to be associated with, or to receive training from.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Ben is very well known and respected at the NRA Training Division. I have had the pleasure of having Ben as a student and have worked with him at the IWLA to develop the posted course.

As cypher_punk noted, Ben is very devoted to the shooting sports anf getting the youth trained and involved.

Maybe the angle and time (i.e. maybe transitioning) of the photo may be misleading.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Ben is very well known and respected at the NRA Training Division. I have had the pleasure of having Ben as a student and have worked with him at the IWLA to develop the posted course.

As cypher_punk noted, Ben is very devoted to the shooting sports anf getting the youth trained and involved.

Maybe the angle and time (i.e. maybe transitioning) of the photo may be misleading.

+1, I took the course recently and it was a pleasure to have a person so dedicated and serious about the training. An excellent instructor who is much better than others that I have had over the years! :innocent0

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Looks like an interesting course. Makes me wish that I (1) owned a pistol in the required format, and (2) had been an RSO for more than a year (only other qualification would be informal training based off of my military/competition shooting experience from years ago).

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Here is the revised course fo fire for those that are interested.
    Typos are the fault of OCR from PDF.

Practical Police Course
    Total Rounds: 50
    Scoring: B-27 target
    X, 10,9,8 Ring = 5 PTS
    7 Ring = 4 PTS
    Required equipment: Pistol / Revolver
    50 rounds of ammunition, holster,
    2 magazines if semi-automatic pistol.
    Rest of silhouette = 3 PTS Total Possible Score: 250
    Minimum Passing Instructor: 200
    Minimum Passing Occupational MD Handgun Permit Holder: 175

Pistols: Fill 2 magazines -5 rounds each

3 Yard- 5 Rds - Point Shoulder - One Hand Strong

Command - Routine Load 5 rounds and Holster
    Command - When targets face - Draw and tire 2 rds. in 4 sees., cover, scan and holster.
    Command - When targets face - Draw and fire 3 rds. in 6 sees.
    Command - Perform a dry re-load, cover, scan and holster.

3 Yard-5 Rds - Point Shoulder- One Hand Strong

Command- When targets face-Draw and fire 2 rds. in 4 sees .. cover, scan and holster.
    Command- When targets face - Draw and fire 3 rds. in 6 sees.
    Command- Clear, inspect, and holster an empty weapon.

Pistols: Fill I magazines - 5 rounds

3 Yard - 5 Rds - Point Shoulder - One Hand Weak

Command- Routine Load 5 rounds
    Command - Transfer weapon to one handed weak hand and cover target area
    Command - When targets face - Fire 2 rds. in 4 sees., continue to cover the target area
    Command - When targets face - Fire 3 rds. in 6 sees.
    Command - Transfer the weapon back to the strong hand
    Command - Clear, inspect, and holster an empty weapon

Pistols: Fill 2 magazines - 5 rounds each

5 Yard- 5 Rds - Point Shoulder - Two Handed Strong

Command - Routine Load 5 rounds and Holster
    Command- When targets face - Draw and fire 2 rds. in 4 sees., continue to cover the target area
    Command - When targets face - Fire 3 rds. in 4 sees.
    Command - Perform a dry re-load
    Command - Transfer the weapon, take up a two handed weak hand grip, and cover the target area

5 Yard - 5 Rds-Point Shoulder - Two Handed Weak

Command- When targets face - Fire 2 rds. in 4 sees., continue to cover the target area
    Command - When targets face - Fire 3 rds. in 4 sees.
    Command- Transfer the weapon back to the strong hand
    Command- Clear. inspect, and holster an empty weapon.

Pistols: Fill 2 magazines-5 rounds each

7 Yard - 5 Rds - Point Shoulder- Two Handed Strong

Command- Routine Load 5 rounds and holster.
    Command - When targets face - Draw and 1ire 2 rounds in 4 sees .. continue to cover the target area
    Command- When targets face - Fire 3 rounds in 4 sees.
    Command - Perform a dry re-load
    Command - Transfer the weapon, take up a two handed weak hand grip. and cover the target area

7 Yard - 5 Rds - Point Shoulder - Two Handed Weak

Command - When targets face- Fire 2 rounds in 4 sees., continue to cover the target area
    Command- When targets face - Fire 3 rounds in 4 sees.
    Command -Transfer the weapon back to the strong hand
    Command- Clear. inspect, and holster an empty weapon.

Pistols: Fill 2 magazines-5 rounds each

15 Yard - 10 Rds - Barricade - Kneeling, Standing - Two Handed Strong

Command-Routine Load 5 rounds and holster.
    Command - Assume a strong side start position.
    Command- When targets face - Seek cover Kneeling SA barricade, draw, cover target area
    Command - When targets face - Fire 2 rds. in 6 sees., continue to cover the target area
    Command - When targets face - Fire 3 rds. in 6 sees.
    Command- While still kneeling, perform a dry re-load and Holster before standing up
    Command-Assume a strong side standing position.
    Command- When targets face- Seek cover standing SH barricade, draw, cover target area
    Command- When targets face - Fire 2 rds. in 6 sees., continue to cover the target area
    Command- When targets face - Fire 3 rds. in 6 sees.
    Command- Clear, inspect and holster an empty weapon

Pistols: Fill 1 magazine- 5 rounds

25 Yard-5 Rds-Standing Barricade- Two Handed Strong

Command- Routine Load 5 rounds and holster.
    Command- Assume a strong side start position.
    Command - When targets face - Seek cover Standing SH barricade. draw. cover target area
    Command- When Targets face - Fire 2 rds. in 8 sees., continue to cover the target area
    Command - When targets face - Fire 3 rds. in 8 sees.
    Command- CLEAR, INSPECT, PRESENT FIREARM FOR INSPECTION OF ARMS and HOLSTER an EMPT

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    I just sent my renewal in (no mention of this course from MSP). Is this course waived for me because I hold NRA LE creds? I hope so.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Ok I need some clarification.

It was my understanding that
    - anyone who has already owned/purchased a handgun n Maryland would not have to get a HQL for future purchases.
    - anyone who has a permit to carry concealed from md would not have to do anything new unless they are involved in one of those specific employments like security guard, etc.
    - a MSP firearms instructor can qualify someone on the practical police course required to apply to be a MSP certified instructor.

Re you saying someone with a md permit right now will have to take a class to renew it?

I think it is great more people are getting certified, and if I hadn't waited so long to get my credentials as an instructor I would be interested in this class ( I need to wait a little longer for my year).

TD

Last edited:

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Completed this course today, and as has been stated in the thread relating to the previous session, Ben & Cypherpunk along with their special guest legal & LEO expert presenters did an outstanding job with content and course administration. Kudos to Ben & the RSO's running the training this morning. Having 13 students with loaded guns on their hips requires a special degree of focus, & Ben's guys ran a tight -& safe- firing line.

If and when this class is run again, I strongly recommend you consider taking advantage of the opportunity.

Thanks to Ben, Brook for their time & efforts, & mcruzdzinski here on MDS for his time & energy in getting this whole thing going. Great job by all, & I look forward to being a part of keeping it going.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    TTMD,

Glad you enjoyed the class. Ben and Brook and the folks at the Frederick IWLA do a great job with all of their classes and have taken the barebones class I gave to the initial core group to a brand new level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom