• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Maybe. There doesn't seem to be a dissent on the panel and that will speed it up. And this court acts pretty fast as a rule (unlike the 9th). And that would correspond with the departure of existing clerks and the arrival of new ones. Still, 60 days is fast for any court of appeals to act, so I tend to think that 60 days is doable, but optimistic.

The April '12 session at CA7 concludes sometime after Aug 8th. The September '12 session picks up Sept 5th.

http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/cal/argcalendar.pdf

If they intend to get it out within the argued April '12 session, 60 days would be about right. If they don't care about dragging it into the next session, all bets are off!

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    OK... I'm thinking out loud again...

But doesn't that place the onus back on the state and legislature to find a way to argue for "sensitive places", etc. without unduly hindering the exercise of the right?

I would hope that there could be some form of common template compiled from across the existing carry-friendly states, that an agreeable list (not necessarily boiler-plate, but common nonetheless) can be put in play.

Now we know MD will try to stretch TPM to the breaking point, but to my (layman's) thinking, the sorts of wide-ranging restrictions we can imagine them going for (days ending in Y, within 2 miles of a school...:D) would just tick off the Court rather than meet the needs of the rulings we anticipate.

Maryland has had carry permits - including unrestricted permits - for decades and not required onerous TPMs. Why do we need one now?

That's my line and I'm sticking to it. :)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Maryland has had carry permits - including unrestricted permits - for decades and not required onerous TPMs. Why do we need one now?
    That's my line and I'm sticking to it. :)

Cuz the great unwashed (and the politically unconnected) are going to get permits if Woollard wins, that's why!! :rolleyes:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find it in the 500 pages. I come up on 90 days on weds. What should those of us do who are in the same boat?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find it in the 500 pages. I come up on 90 days on weds. What should those of us do who are in the same boat?

No one here will attempt to tell you what to do. If you are among those who applied after the decision but before the stay (like moi), I personally would do absolutely nothing. If the stay is lifted, they they will have to act. If you force them to act before the stay is lifted and your application is unsupported by G&S reason, then they are within their rights to deny your application on that ground.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

From what I have seen, MSI has not taken a position as of yet. The opinion from many seems spilt between passing it to the Review Board and sitting on it until Left rules on the stay.

Personally, I fall in the later category.

Gray Peterson

Aug 18, 2009
    Lynnwood, WA
    Maybe. There doesn't seem to be a dissent on the panel and that will speed it up. And this court acts pretty fast as a rule (unlike the 9th). And that would correspond with the departure of existing clerks and the arrival of new ones. Still, 60 days is fast for any court of appeals to act, so I tend to think that 60 days is doable, but optimistic.

Edit: I just did a quick Westlaw search on opinions authored by Judge Posner. Of the opinions released this year, they were all about 2-3 months with a few of less than 2 months (except for an en banc case that took 9 months and was per curiam). So 60 days could well be quite reasonable.

It's on a preliminary injunction so it get's handled faster. Death penalty appeals, then criminal appeals, then prelim injunctions, then civil MSJ's, then civil trial appeals.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    No one here will attempt to tell you what to do. If you are among those who applied after the decision but before the stay (like moi), I personally would do absolutely nothing. If the stay is lifted, they they will have to act. If you force them to act before the stay is lifted and your application is unsupported by G&S reason, then they are within their rights to deny your application on that ground.

What he said, is my personal advice.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It's on a preliminary injunction so it get's handled faster. Death penalty appeals, then criminal appeals, then prelim injunctions, then civil MSJ's, then civil trial appeals.

Sure, criminal matters, especially death penalty cases, get priority. Civil matters turn on the complexity of the case and whether there is a dissent or whether there are factual issues or a lot of difficult legal issues. And of course on the panel and how busy these judges and their clerks are at the time the case is submitted after argument. The 7th Circuit moved this case to argument *very* quickly and that leads me to think we will get a quick decision.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    And with G & S gone, whatever TPM restrictions they enact, they will apply equally to all.

While in theory you are correct, I HIGHLY doubt a OFF duty MSP or other cop would get busted for a TPM infraction the way a scrub like you or me would be.

NOBODY

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    While in theory you are correct, I HIGHLY doubt a OFF duty MSP or other cop would get busted for a TPM infraction the way a scrub like you or me would be.

NOBODY

Well maybe not LE, but to a non-LE political crony, it would be much more harder sell to justify carrying in a prohibited place once word got out.

Off-duty full-time LE carrying in "gun-free-zones" are a bit of a grey area when the officer is within his own state. Technically they have 24/7 arrest powers and it could be argued that they are on duty 24/7. Now if they were out of state it would be much harder to justify carrying in a restricted area since they have no arrest authority.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Well maybe not LE, but to a non-LE political crony, it would be much more harder sell to justify carrying in a prohibited place once word got out.

Off-duty full-time LE carrying in "gun-free-zones" are a bit of a grey area when the officer is within his own state. Technically they have 24/7 arrest powers and it could be argued that they are on duty 24/7. Now if they were out of state it would be much harder to justify carrying in a restricted area since they have no arrest authority.

I change my person carrying to "Anyone of the elite" that is not a cop. Just like if you were doing 105 around the capital beltway you would have been locked up, yet a PG county council woman was let go w/o so much as a ticket.

Things will be level and above board.....BULL SH**

NOBODY

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    TPM = Time, Place, Manner. Refers to conditions imposed on carrying a weapon.

For those, like me, who have been wondering for a while.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

Thanks Esp. That is exactly what I was looking for. I should have asked differently like what are people doing.
    Thanks for all you have done for the MDS family.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks Esp. That is exactly what I was looking for. I should have asked differently like what are people doing.
    Thanks for all you have done for the MDS family.

Good luck. We will have some answers from the courts soon (meaning this year which is soon for constitutional litigation). :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As to applicnts and * deadlines * :

For those of us form whom actually receiving a permit in quasi-timley manner , letting things ride for the moment seems to be the best alternative.

Those who take a long range activist view could see the value of appealing to the board to pin down on record the practices of the MSP and Appeals Board to pave the way to future reform of the issueing process thru litagation and/ or public pressure. But at the expense of near certain denial now.

In the long run we will need a buncha volountary Test Cases to overcome 40yrs of " when we see it " and " because we feel like it " .

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    As to applicnts and * deadlines * :

For those of us form whom actually receiving a permit in quasi-timley manner , letting things ride for the moment seems to be the best alternative.

Those who take a long range activist view could see the value of appealing to the board to pin down on record the practices of the MSP and Appeals Board to pave the way to future reform of the issueing process thru litagation and/ or public pressure. But at the expense of near certain denial now.

In the long run we will need a buncha volountary Test Cases to overcome 40yrs of " when we see it " and " because we feel like it " .

Maybe not, Bigfoot, maybe not. Sometimes they can and do change when faced with an injunction. Them suits, well they be expensive and embarrassing .. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom