• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaurusPT111

Oct 16, 2012
    Glad I found this topic. I have only ever been to the Marriottsville rifle range (Years ago!). I am looking forward to trying out the pistol range and it's nice to know it is not crowded. By the way, anywhere to picnic nearby?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Glad I found this topic. I have only ever been to the Marriottsville rifle range (Years ago!). I am looking forward to trying out the pistol range and it's nice to know it is not crowded. By the way, anywhere to picnic nearby?

The only caveat about the pistol range - it's outside, so on windy days the targets can get quite "dynamic".

Jubbs26

Mar 14, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Looking to head out to Hap Baker next Saturday to try out and sight in my Rem 783. I've got targets and ammo. Any advice for a first timer to their range? What's the deal with targets there? Do I have to bring my own target stand?

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Just an FYI, I stopped by Sunday afternoon to check out Hap Baker. Pretty nice facility, but it was crowded. The couple guys that came in about the same time I was there were told at least an hour wait for a lane. I wandered over to the pistol range, and every lane was in use there. Glad to see lots of folks enjoying the sport, but unless you get there when they open the gate, plan on waiting for a lane on the weekend.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I'll try it out this week. I used to go to marriotsville but ran in to too many jerks. Range nazis and jerk shooters.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I was there last month and last week Saturday and it wasn't busy at all. I think the ammo shortage has made the lanes available.

If you follow the rules the ROs will never have a problem with you and they are for the most part impartial. I have seen many over the last three years get stern warnings for unknowingly doing something unsafe because they are distracted.

We should all be happy that they take their job seriously and nobody gets hurt from someone's carless mistakes.

13point1

Mar 29, 2013
    I do like Hap Baker, but the wait times for the rifle ranges (on weekends) can be longer than I'd like.

I've been twice so far and haven't had a wait at all on the pistol range, which was convenient to use while waiting for a lane to open on the rifle range.

Waits were about 1-2 hours for the rifle range, and the RO said that it's much longer when there isn't an ammo shortage.

The pistol range is great since there's no cease fire, and the dynamic targets (see wind, above) make for some interesting shooting.

Overall- best range I've been to in terms of staffing and quality of amenities. But get there early and with a mix of both pistols and rifles (and a good book and coffee) so you aren't idle too long.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I just go during the week in the afternoons (luxury of being self-employed).
    Never a wait and usually only a handful of others on the rifle range.

I've never seen Lucky the chipmunk on the pistol range, but I have been tempted to shoot at those carpenter bees that fly around under the baffles... "tempted" being the operative word here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom