• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -After the recent disappointing performance of Morphy Auction with the fake Astra I was surprised at a very rare MAS 1936 CR39 listing in the last Reata Pass auction. It instantly jumped out at me as a fake, put together from CR39 bits and having the original barrel shortened (instant give away is no "CR39" stamped on the receiver. I marked the lot to see if anyone would be foolish enough to spend significant coin on it (originals will sell north of $2k in today's market).
    -Then I got a pleasant surprise when the lot description was edited by the auction house to the following...

Rare blued French military folding-stock paratroop carbine with a 17.7" barrel. This carbine is not stamped "CR39" so it was assembled from parts. Includes cruciform bayonet and leather sling. Finish is good with edge wear and a few small dings. Aluminum folding stock has a large "X" on the left side. the spring-loaded sling reel in the stock has some slack. Bore is rough with good rifling. Action works well. Condition is good. *Modern Firearm*

-Even with an accurate description it sold for $1200! Don't know if the buyer wanted it for parts to restore an original CR39 as there were some fitted with fixed stocks. But at least nobody could feel taken when the Big Brown Truck dropped off their acquisition.

Attachments

• 758.jpg
      758.jpg
      15.3 KB · Views: 382
    • 758_2.jpg
      758_2.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 380
    • mas-36-cr-392.jpg
      mas-36-cr-392.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 384
    • img_6874.jpg
      img_6874.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 384

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    What's also cool about the CR39 is the reel type sling. It's like a seat belt mechanism and spools up the sling when folded. These are sooo hard to find. The few that are about are buried deep in collections. This fake is the first I've run across for sale in about a decade. Probably easier and cheaper to find a Mle 1917 RSC.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Some fakes are not listed correctly, but it doesn't really matter. It doesn't take much to spot them. Even then, many guys just don't care.

For example ... this Ma Deuce 50 ...

Attachments

• Fake.jpg
      Fake.jpg
      10.6 KB · Views: 133

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z