• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zekers7

Oct 1, 2014
    Well they turned me away from registering a SKS in DC. I have a tapco stock on it and they only allow SKS with the full wood stock.

I tried to argue it does not meet the criteria for denial because it does not have a detachable magazine. Anyone care to chime in here/am i missing something?

These are the only two parts of the eligibility form that regulate the SKS/Semi autos:

.... prohibited:
    "5. An assault weapon, defined as: (DC Official Code § 7-2501.01(3A))
    i. The following semiautomatic firearms: .....
    (kk) SKS with detachable magazine;"

seems like im good so far since its an internal fixed mag.

part 2:

"(IV) A semiautomatic, rifle that has the
    capacity to accept a detachable magazine
    and
    any one of the following:
    (aa) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously
    beneath the action of the
    weapon;
    (bb) A thumbhole stock;
    (cc) A folding or telescoping stock;
    (dd) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;
    (ee) A flash suppressor; or
    (ff) A forward pistol grip;

seems like it doesn't fall in that classification either

zekers7

Oct 1, 2014
    The issue isnt so much the stock. Im fine with the original wood. But since this is for my store (DC does not allow pistols in stores), i wanted to create something a little more compact.

The fact they can just interpret the laws/rules however they want is the core issue.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The issue isnt so much the stock. Im fine with the original wood. But since this is for my store (DC does not allow pistols in stores), i wanted to create something a little more compact.

The fact they can just interpret the laws/rules however they want is the core issue.

A) should have got a shotgun

B) Who was it?

zekers7

Oct 1, 2014
    If you change the stock on a sks you have to change so many other parts to make it compliant.

already have the USA piston and would be getting rid of the bayonet if i were to do it. Have some USA produced trigger components as well ready for order

Still sitting in the factory stock

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Why the heck do you want a rifle going off in your store? You are talking about collateral damage that might land you in jail or court even if it is a righteous shooting. If any bullet goes thru a perp or a wall and hits a bystander you can kiss your business goodbye.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Why the heck do you want a rifle going off in your store? You are talking about collateral damage that might land you in jail or court even if it is a righteous shooting. If any bullet goes thru a perp or a wall and hits a bystander you can kiss your business goodbye.

I think this is more support for the previous shotgun suggestion.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    exchanging the stock counts as one part on the 922r compliance you need 6 more US made parts to make it legal,i know the only way you make the rifle(SKS) legal here in maryland in a modified configuration is if it was bought pre ban then you'd be able to add on a detachable duckbill magazine which count as 3 parts.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen

Agree, please look at the Ballistics on that Russian 7.62X39 Round, Drywall, 2X4's and even brick are no match for that puppy, I would seriously consider another Round,
    Eddie O

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    We kept a DB shotgun under the register in the liquor store I worked in through college.

That said even if we disagree with your choice, given the facts, is it looks legal according to DC law. I would appeal.

The Police Chief has an out in the law also allows a general basket of "or" anything she declares is dangerous. But I think they will wrongly cite stripper as equivalent of a mag fed, when there is case law elsewhere saying it is not a magazine for purpose of mag fed in the firearm to make it an "assault rifle".

IE In NY, "NY safe" does call a stripper clip a feeding device, but ONLY for the purpose of the issue if the capacity of feeding device section, NOT to put the firearm itself in the assault rifle definition for test of other attributes.

I think if you appeal to MPD you will lose and if you take it t court you will likely win, but that will cost you.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I have a wood sks stock for a spike bayonet if you want to 'borrow' it to get your gun registered. PM me if you're interested.
    They approved my Type 56 after much discussion among themselves.
    They were 'afraid' of the bayonet I guess. In any case my gun was all 100% original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom