• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Got my M44 yesterday from SOG.

Overall satisfied but I noticed that the rear barrel band is little bit loose. It can move back and forth for a short distance. See the attached pics. Is this normal? Any safety concern? Thanks for any suggestion.

Called SOG, they can do exchange but I need to pay for the return shipping. Not reasonable but it is their policy.

Attachments

• IMG_20150331_200025.jpg
      IMG_20150331_200025.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 298
    • IMG_20150331_200009.jpg
      IMG_20150331_200009.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 292
    • IMG_20150331_195944.jpg
      IMG_20150331_195944.jpg
      44.7 KB · Views: 199
    Last edited:

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    You should definitely send it back for a replacement. Don't worry about the expense. You could pinch your finger big time on that "accident waiting to happen."

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That barrel band is split and allowed to slide back and forth for a reason. A well designed and much needed reason I might add.

It's works much like an expansion joint in a major highway project.

When the rifle is fired a lot in hot and humid conditions, the barrel band can expand. Preventing the barrel from warping and the stock from cracking.

It will close again when the rifle cools down or is moved to a much colder climate.

Pinching your fingers is the least of your worries if the rifle gets too hot.

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    So don't think this is a problem?
    Thanks

That barrel band is split and allowed to slide back and forth for a reason. A well designed and much needed reason I might add.

It's works much like an expansion joint in a major highway project.

When the rifle is fired a lot in hot and humid conditions, the barrel band can expand. Preventing the barrel from warping and the stock from cracking.

It will close again when the rifle cools down or is moved to a much colder climate.

Pinching your fingers is the least of your worries if the rifle gets too hot.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Wow thats' not a big deal in my book. That's really just there to hold the top [not sure what it's officially called] of the foregrip onto the barrel. You can always add some drop of glue [wood glue that dries clear] to keep it from sliding around. Something that you can disassemble in the future [don't go crazy on the adhesive].
    Shouldn't affect function or accuracy [or safety].

jlnjca

Nov 8, 2012
    Thanks all for replying. Looks like not worth sending it back. Have a good night.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Zero issue, completely normal for a mosin. Some have more some have less, I would have no concern at all. Have fun with it.

There it is. Yellowsled has spoken. :thumbsup: :bowdown:

When I first saw this thread I pulled a couple of my M-44's out of a safe and looked. Sure 'nuff, the barrel bands on mine have some play too. Even my M38 and 91-30's do...;)

It's a non-issue...

PS:

OP, if it bothers you, you could do this:
    - Remove the band retaining spring and fill the hole it seats in.
    - Then drill a new hole for the spring a couple of millimeters closer to where the band fits against the stock to take up some slack.

But why mess with it?
    :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom