• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've read that its cheaper to build an AR than buy one. I've only started to acquire a few parts (CMMG lpk, aero precision upper with dust cover and F/A already installed, and 80% lower). From what I've been seeing, I think it would've been cheaper to buy a complete upper. I've read so much and have been twisted and turned in so many directions that I don't know what to buy, where, or if I should sell the upper and just get a complete upper. I set out on a quest to build(more like assemble) a reliable, inexpensive 5.56 AR rifle with 16" MD compliant barrel to use as a plinker and possible HD(not a primary, but stored elsewhere in the house). Was hoping to build on under $500...but I'm already at approx. $165. ). Any and all advice is surely needed and welcome.

I think most of us who build our own ARs are not so much concerned with building one cheaper. It's more a matter of building one with consideration to quality parts throughout and the satisfaction of knowing everything was done right. Especially with purpose driven builds.

There are so many AR variations out there it would be hard to compare an inexpensive 'home build' to a factory built upper/AR IMHO.

I won't offer any advise on a build or purchase. There are just too many choices out there and to be truthful, I've only bought one of my ARs and that was a piece of junk I bought over 30 years ago, though today, the barrel and lower live in two different guns. Good luck and have fun.:)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I agree with Outrider, I think most of us that build them do so with careful consideration in the particular parts being used to build and in most cases, they are probably not the cheapest of AR's out there, but they serve an intended purpose and function well.

If you want to build a 'budget AR', you are likely better off buying one of the budget uppers and then add a lower, stock kit and lpk. That you can do for the price you are considering and likely have a reliable AR, assuming it is properly assembled.

The other thing that many do when building the weapon, is to take the extra steps to ensure they are properly assembled, not just a bunch of parts put together. This takes a little knowledge and patience and will enhance reliability and performance.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    I have a stupid question, as I am new here.

How does one go about building an AR15 in Maryland now?
    From what I understand, we cannot buy lowers, only complete Hbar rifles.

I want to build a nice quality professional grade AR that can handle abuse, or
    whatever I decide to throw at it. I imagine my only option
    would be to find a good quality HBAR rifle, and then swap out the upper and
    stock, etc. Put in a quality trigger and customize it how I please.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have a stupid question, as I am new here.

How does one go about building an AR15 in Maryland now?
    From what I understand, we cannot buy lowers, only complete Hbar rifles.

I want to build a nice quality professional grade AR that can handle abuse, or
    whatever I decide to throw at it. I imagine my only option

Incorrect on the lowers.

You can buy a stripped or assembled lower in the state of MD at any gun store that has them in stock or can order them for you. You fill out a 4473 and a 77r, wait your 7 days, then go pick it up, just like how it was before 2013.

I can give you advice on a build if you would like. I have built quite a few in my short time in the AR world. The inbox is always open.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    What is a 443 and 77r and what do they do?

ATF 4473 is the federal background check form. Required for all purchases from firearms dealers.

77r is the Maryland State Police background check form. This one is additionally required for handguns and other "regulated" firearms, including AR15 lower receivers.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The other two have given you good information, but let me sneak in here too:

I imagine my only option

This is going to sound really anal, but if you go the route of buying an HBAR to customize, or buying a stripped lower to build, please not that you CAN NOT build it into what would be a banned configuration.

That is:
    The rifle has to be at least 29" in overall length (with the stock extended fully, and without any non-permanent muzzle devices).
    It may not have more than one of: a) flash hider b) grenade launcher c) folding stock.
    Since it is an AR15, it must be an HBAR.

The rest of it (trigger, stock, etc) you can do what you want, but if you break any of those requirements, you're building a banned assault weapon, which is a crime.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    That's fine. I only plan on building it into a legal Hbar configuration.

As for the form 77r, I probably won't go that route as I'm a veteran
    who spent 60 days in an in-patient treatment program for PTSD at a
    VA facility. It was a voluntary program which I enrolled in, and it's difficult
    to get in to, as there is a wait-list. Never been violent, or anything like that.
    My doctor told me about it, and the girlfriend and I figured it would be a good idea.

Regardless, a form 77r would probably disqualify me.

So then, what options would I have? Buy a complete Hbar and swap out parts,
    uppers, triggers, etc? If that is my only option, then I would assume the main
    thing I would be looking for in a complete rifle is the quality of the lower, as that will be the part I would keep. The upper, stock, trigger and everything
    else would be replaced. Is this correct?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    As for the form 77r, I probably won't go that route as I'm a veteran
    who spent 60 days in an in-patient treatment program for PTSD at a
    VA facility. It was a voluntary program which I enrolled in, and it's difficult
    to get in to, as there is a wait-list. Never been violent, or anything like that.
    My doctor told me about it, and the girlfriend and I figured it would be a good idea.

First of all, thanks for your service.

Secondly, good for you (and I don't mean that condescendingly at ALL) for seeking help. It's tough to do.

But.... yeah, it kind of sucks, because if you've been " voluntarily admitted for more than 30 consecutive days to a mental health facility" then you're ineligible to own a "regulated firearm" in Maryland.

Fortunately the HBAR isn't regulated, so yeah, go that route.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    Yeah, I know it sucks. That's why I can't wait to leave this state.

What do you guys think would be a good Hbar to start with? I know Bushmaster
    offers Hbar options, but I understand their quality isn't the best.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I don't know much about Bushmaster's current product, but there is a company called Windham Weaponry that is basically the old Bushmaster (people and maybe even the tooling) from before they got bought out.

I know that our Industry Parter "JLowe" carries Windham HBARs regularly and I've heard a lot of good things about them: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=194863
    "Hog Sniper" in PA regularly gets Colt HBARs in as well: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=182946 (you can buy a non-regulated rifle across state lines at an FFL).

You might browse some other shops in the IP section also. If you buy a built HBAR and want to swap out parts, you can always sell what you take off.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Yeah, I know it sucks. That's why I can't wait to leave this state.

What do you guys think would be a good Hbar to start with? I know Bushmaster
    offers Hbar options, but I understand their quality isn't the best.

IIRC, you cannot purchase a Bushmater complete rifle or lower in Maryland and it is the ONLY company that cannot be bought. Stupid I know, but that's how it is.

Colt is always a great option. The 6721 HBAR is hard to beat. Contact IP Jlowe and he will set you up with a nice rifle.

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    Question about building a HBAR from a store bought stripped lower (not an 80%)...Once built into an hbar rifle, would that rifle then be eligible for FTF transfer (IE gift to wife)? After finally trying mine out my wife really wants an AR now, so I thought about building one out for her as a surprise gift.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Question about building a HBAR from a store bought stripped lower (not an 80%)...Once built into an hbar rifle, would that rifle then be eligible for FTF transfer (IE gift to wife)? After finally trying mine out my wife really wants an AR now, so I thought about building one out for her as a surprise gift.

That is correct.

Due to MSP's incorrect reading of the law, you'll have to do a 77R when you initially buy the lower, but after you build it in to an HBAR, it's FTF transferable.

BigDuphis

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pikesville
    That is correct.

Due to MSP's incorrect reading of the law, you'll have to do a 77R when you initially buy the lower, but after you build it in to an HBAR, it's FTF transferable.

Great, thanks!

She also asked if there was something other than 223/5.56 to get one in, just to be a little different (she likes not duplicate calibers)
    I thought maybe building it for her in .300blk, how does the recoil on that round compare to a .223 in a similar weight rifle?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Great, thanks!

She also asked if there was something other than 223/5.56 to get one in, just to be a little different (she likes not duplicate calibers)
    I thought maybe building it for her in .300blk, how does the recoil on that round compare to a .223 in a similar weight rifle?

I like .300BLK a lot. I can't answer the "similar weight" thing, because my .300 is an 8.5" SBR with some lightweight stuff, but even with that it's really pretty tame, even with supersonic ammo. I don't think it's appreciably different from 5.56. With subsonic ammo it's even softer.

Just be aware of the extra cost of .300BLK ammo over 5.56. I'm happy if / when I find .300 for 0.40 - 0.50 a round.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Great, thanks!

The recoil pulse is about the same as a 223/556.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom