Does this AR exist (or can it be built?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    I think delton sells 16" HBAR dissipator barrels with rifle gas.

If you cant find one buy a 20" HBAR and have it cut and threaded to 16". Have the gas port opened to .110 and it will run.

As usual clandestine is correct. Delton sells a 16 inch barrel with a rifle length system. Also according to the comments from one of the buyers it is an HBAR profile. Link below.

All that said seems like this is a pretty aggressive design. Not a lot of dwell time. Personally I would not use a rifle gas system on anything shorter than 18 inches, but I am no expert on AR design.

http://www.del-ton.com/Del_Ton_Barrels_p/bl1017.htm

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    So you don't have a preference on gas system length, you just want a rifle length handguard to give you a longer sight radius for you iron rights? If this is correct, your options are endless. Find a 16" heavy barrel, low profile gas block (doesn't matter what gas length you go with) and a long handguard that will cover the gas block (I actually like the look of s 15" rail over a 16" barrel).

That's pretty much the conclusion I was coming to.

Looking at what I see on the market, I am probably better off cost wise letting Engage build it -- since I will want to make cost adding changes to anything I see off the shelf (stock, handguard, sights)

I have resisted being bitten by the AR bug for a long time ( I had an Olympic "A2" almost 30 years ago, but sold it when I went on sea duty) , but now that itch is calling to be scratched.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    That's pretty much the conclusion I was coming to.

Looking at what I see on the market, I am probably better off cost wise letting Engage build it -- since I will want to make cost adding changes to anything I see off the shelf (stock, handguard, sights)

I have resisted being bitten by the AR bug for a long time ( I had an Olympic "A2" almost 30 years ago, but sold it when I went on sea duty) , but now that itch is calling to be scratched.

You won't be disappointed going with Engage. If you don't find one you like off the shelf, they'll build you whatever you're looking for. The AR bug is dangerous. You might scratch it for now, but believe me, it'll start itching again soon...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "I have resisted being bitten by the AR bug for a long time ( I had an Olympic "A2" almost 30 years ago, but sold it when I went on sea duty) , but now that itch is calling to be scratched."

I know what you mean. I got my first AR in the late 90's, IIRC. I shot it now and then but not really 'bitten'. Here recently, past few years, its growing on me.

GetzzBrah

Mar 3, 2016
    Like others have said, don't do rifle length gas on a 16" barrel. Mid length gas with a low pro gas block and any 15 inch rail you like. I would go with something light weight like an NSR or a KMR. Then you can run whatever flip sight you want or the GOAT AR sights, Daniel Defense fixed sights

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom