• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Funny that in some places it is docuemnted that the MSP requires fingerprints that are no more than 72 hours old, yet the MSP takes 90 days to process an application.

What difference could 72 hours make compared to and contrasted with a 3 month old background check?

I heard that too. (After we had already submitted them.) I followed up with a letter because mine and Mrs. Safetech's were two weeks old when we finally got out to Pikesville to drop them off. (Super busy at the time.)

I got a phone call a couple days later, telling me, no problem. They are good for 30(?) days.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'm just glad that they didn't get word of the temporary stay and just mass-disapprove applications.

The optimist says they are just waiting until a ruling on the permanent stay. Others have said that the state doesn't wanna look hostile in front of the judge -- I suppose that could be true as well.

I can only see one reason why the judge would say "it's a fundamental right" and then put a stay in place: To make his final rejection of a stay more solid.

It's been said before that the Judge isn't pro-2A, he is just a good judge, a reasonable judge.

I guess there may be some in the MSP that would want to do that, but at the same time if it looks like this will go our way in the long run they would only be creating more work for their selves because we would just reapply and they know that. But the MSP are like anyone else and if they can save some work for them selves I think they will. But I also think the are getting instructions from the AG.

If the AG came to the MSP and told them that it was in the bag for them and they were going back to the old way, The MSP would start pumping out the dear john letters. I'm betting someone has told them to hold tight until they get a better idea on how the wind will blow.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If the AG came to the MSP and told them that it was in the bag for them and they were going back to the old way, The MSP would start pumping out the dear john letters. I'm betting someone has told them to hold tight until they get a better idea on how the wind will blow.

They don't want to deal with the class action lawsuit when a bunch of angry people are asking for their money back, and their permits once Legg's decision is upheld. MSP doesn't make the rules. Keep in mind, the AG was apparently surprised that MD lost the case. MD honestly believes that they are in the right here. I have to give them credit for showing restraint in NOT sending out rejection letters. Luckily for us, the training requirement was shot down.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Seems the interviews have started back up ever since HB 579 died

Maybe "someone" told them last week to stop the interviews and wait, because "the fix was in".

Then "the fix" fell through.

Maybe we put the fear of an Outraged Populace into them.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    A Trooper from the Easton barracks called my 3 references on 04/03/12 and then called my wife on 04/04/12 (called me to get her contact numbers).

A tad late - it was posted on the "Running List of Applicants" thread and was suggested to post the info here.

DPRO556

Mar 4, 2012
    Well, I finally got the call today! Went in for the interview this evening. The Trooper was cordial and friendly, and he didn't ask any of the really intrusive questions. I was in the barracks for about ten minutes total.

Basically he asked why I am seeking a permit, and what kind of training did I have if any. He said he needs to call my references and send the application back to Pikesville. He also asked if I already had a gun.

ETA: He couldn't exactly quantify the increase in submitted applications they have seen. He indicated that he was getting "a lot more".

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Well, I finally got the call today! Went in for the interview this evening. The Trooper was cordial and friendly, and he didn't ask any of the really intrusive questions. I was in the barracks for about ten minutes total.

Basically he asked why I am seeking a permit, and what kind of training did I have if any. He said he needs to call my references and send the application back to Pikesville. He also asked if I already had a gun.

ETA: He couldn't exactly quantify the increase in submitted applications they have seen. He indicated that he was getting "a lot more".

We did everything the same day, so I am hoping for some activity soon.

DPRO556

Mar 4, 2012
    The Trooper didn't use the phrase "good and substantial", but he said that their requirements and procedure hadn't changed. I asked him if it was a person, board or office that made a final determination. He really didn't know.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I got my call yesterday around 5:30 Pm. But I missed it trooper left his name and number on my voice mail. Sounded pleasant enough I will be contacting him today :party29:

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    The Trooper didn't use the phrase "good and substantial", but he said that their requirements and procedure hadn't changed. I asked him if it was a person, board or office that made a final determination. He really didn't know.

And let me add to my "And how could he not know that" comment to go on to say that I'm sure the troopers that contacts you may not be the person who make the final decision, however much of what the trooper puts into his notes about you will weigh heavily on the outcome.

If you go to your face to face and act like a goofball without an ounce of brains, the trooper will be making note of how you presented yourself that the people/troopers that do make the final decision will be reading about you. That's why that bring you in to ask you the same questions they could ask on the phone. They want to see who they may be giving a CCW to.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    And let me add to my "And how could he not know that" comment to go on to say that I'm sure the troopers that contacts you may not be the person who make the final decision, however much of what the trooper puts into his notes about you will weigh heavily on the outcome.

If you go to your face to face and act like a goofball without an ounce of brains, the trooper will be making note of how you presented yourself that the people/troopers that do make the final decision will be reading about you. That's why that bring you in to ask you the same questions they could ask on the phone. They want to see who they may be giving a CCW to.

When I got mine a few years back, the Trooper told me that they give a recommendation regarding whether a permit should be issued. He told me "they" usually follow the Trooper's recommendation. I don't know who "they" is......

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    How could he not know?

Cause he probably simply doesnt care.

He's given a packet and has to follow X,Y,Z and fill out a pre printed form that he did X,Y,Z then he sends it off.

Likely doesnt hurt his feelings one way or another and is probably something he doesnt overly take interest in when considering his other duties.

He's filling in blanks on a form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom