• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    An attempt to quantify something that cant be quantified. How can DE be all the way down there with MD if their 'may issue' is pretty much a 'shall issue'. What do I care as a resident how easy it is to get a nonresident permit ? Why bother abiut reciprocities if a couple of bucks and a fingerprint card gets you a UT or FL permit ?

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I have a few beefs with the list.

RI should not be so high up. RI is very iffy may-issue. NJ is close to no-issue. It should be at the very bottom of the list.

NYC should be separate from NY state. All other CCW sites treat it differently.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    An attempt to quantify something that cant be quantified. How can DE be all the way down there with MD if their 'may issue' is pretty much a 'shall issue'. What do I care as a resident how easy it is to get a nonresident permit ? Why bother abiut reciprocities if a couple of bucks and a fingerprint card gets you a UT or FL permit ?

50 states, 50 different sets of laws, so lots of it is subjective. To get a PA permit takes $20, 3 days, and 1 page form, FL requires filling out a booklet passport photo, training, notarizing, fingerprints, $100+ and a couple months.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    50 states, 50 different sets of laws, so lots of it is subjective. To get a PA permit takes $20, 3 days, and 1 page form, FL requires filling out a booklet passport photo, training, notarizing, fingerprints, $100+ and a couple months.

3 days for PA? The Sheriff's Dept. told me 2 weeks to process the application. Guess I'd better keep an eye out for the letter...

kharris

Aug 20, 2011
    Carroll County
    No list is perfect and yes, a lot of it is subjective. That said, I think they did a decent job of describing how they tried to level the playing ground with their scores. Interesting reading, at least to me, if nothing else.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    when visiting family in vermont.

step 1, bring firearm legally to vermont
    step 2, once inside the state, load said firearm
    step 3, insert into holster of choice (or pocket if you want... not that you should)

step 4, be an American!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The bad ones as a group are bad , and the good ones as a group are good. But by its nature a ranking like this has to make arbitrary factorings.

While obviously Constitutional Carry is the theoretical goal , since the article is discussing Permits, then that's the topic.

Looking at only the direct fee paid to the issueing authority is only a small part. The net bottom line of required training , fees for prints or backgrounds , and anything else at all need to be combined.

And while Free is the constitutional goal too much weight is placed between inexpensive and very inexpensive. $25/yr is still doable, but that gets lumped with NYC as "above average".

May issue gets lumped together, when we know there are major gradations.

And the big one is restricted places. Makes a huge difference in day to day life , but is only a tiebreaker.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    York County took 3 days...two of which where Saturday and Sunday, so that was pretty good I thought :thumbsup:

I applied Monday, so whether I receive the approval letter tomorrow or next week, I don't know when the next chance I'll be able to get there since I work an hour away and they close at 4:30. Was already scheduled to leave early on Monday, so while on my way to the appointment, I dropped off the application.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Kind of a weird point system that doesn't work for some permit schemes. One that jumped out at me is Tennessee (because I'm somewhat familiar with the laws there). TN lost a lot of points in the ranking because they don't issue NR permits - but they recognize everybody's permits. Without exception. So there's no reason to issue a NR permit (GFSZA issues notwithstanding).

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    Kind of a weird point system that doesn't work for some permit schemes. One that jumped out at me is Tennessee (because I'm somewhat familiar with the laws there). TN lost a lot of points in the ranking because they don't issue NR permits - but they recognize everybody's permits. Without exception. So there's no reason to issue a NR permit (GFSZA issues notwithstanding).

They issue Non resident permits if one has employment within the state. But as you said that makes 0 difference when they honor all permits

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom