• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Never thought the day would come. :)

I'm out of the loop when it comes to wheel guns. Any new hotness out there? She has shot a 2" SP101 and liked it. Doesn't need to be a featherweight carry gun but rhey aren't being ruled out. As always, we'll handle and rent as many of the candidates as possible, we're just looking for a list at this point to research.

Thanks, braintrust.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My wife got a S&W 329 PD. Sweet gun. She's not fond of .44 mag rounds in it, but likes shooting .44 spl.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I suppose giving the caliber would have been helpful. One of these days, I WILL buy a Smith and Wesson Model 29-2. until then, I'd prefer not to stock another caliber. So .357 is probably the name of the game with her likely shooting .38. Always nice to have the option.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    My wife wants a revolver too. I took her to the range and she shot many pistols. She fell in love with the Ruger SP101. I would not have a problem getting her one at all, but I just refuse to put out money for the HQL along with traveling many miles to have to take the class.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

:thumbsup:

For the quality in terms of price AND it's relatively small grip, the SP101 is really hard to beat. An inexpensive new trigger spring and hammer spring will make the DA pull a little lighter too without sacrificing reliability.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The Ruger LCR is very popular and marketed towards women. I haven't tried the revolver but the LCP, semi-auto version, has a ridiculous trigger pull on it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    FWIW, if you can, look for the 2.25" bbl with the full underlug. The weightless up recoil and the gun balances really well for a close range shooter. It's a mild mannered paper puncher with .38 special and a fireball maker in .357. If she needs a defensive round short of .357, look for 158gr .38+p lswchp. They are an effective manstopper but a bit more gentle recoil.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Thanks for all of the advice, folks. The funny thing is, I used to have an SP101 in .357. Transferred it to family member who wanted a small, light-ish revolver that would be dead nuts reliable and easy to shoot. :banghead:

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Ruger sp101 is great. I have one if you are interested.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430699660.937799.jpg

SargeTMC

Army Retired (EOD)
    May 30, 2013
    Joppa, MD
    Wife shoots a GP100 with a 3 inch barrel. She does very well with .38 and .38 +P ammo. The .357 is a bit much for her but she can keep them all on paper.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    You've been given two good recommendations, but my choice would be a Colt King Cobra, 4", .357, stainless. I've owned one since 2009, have it on standby just behind me ,and am real pleased with the flexibility (.357 or .38) and how it's doubled in value since 2009.

Lew--Ranger63

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    s&w ladysmiths are nice

if you want a shortbarrel and light
    Model 37 or Model 60 both .38

no need for .357 rounds IMO....if she wants something small and light then why put a hotter round in there. .38spl +P hollow points are good enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom