• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    They argued that, but they also argued that they take the case for a full hearing so that the court can smack down the 2A-Two-Step that the lower courts have used to get around Heller & McDonald.

AS usual, Paul Clement writes a dynamite cert petition. I am not particularly optimistic about the case, but Clement is certainly correct in his analysis. It just may not strike the Court as important enough of a case to grant plenary review. A summary, per curiam. reversal is possible, though unlikely. Those get directed to the 9th Circuit on a fairly regular basis. See, e.g., Ryan v. Schad 133 S.Ct. 2548 U.S.,2013. I would be happy with that.

Last edited:

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    AS usual, Paul Clement writes a dynamite cert petition. I am not particularly optimistic about the case, but Clement is certainly correct in his analysis. It just may not strike the Court as important enough of a case to grant plenary review. A summary, per curiam. reversal is possible, though unlikely. Those get directed to the 9th Circuit on a fairly regular basis. See, e.g., Ryan v. Schad 133 S.Ct. 2548 U.S.,2013. I would be happy with that.

I imagine that when Paul Clement is educating the court about cases they must eventually decide, it must carry weight past far past any cert denial.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    If the court cannot, for WHATEVER reason step up and repudiate the 9th SCA's obvious and brazen disdain for the clear holding in Heller then KC is right and the justice system is irreparably broken. It just doesn't get any clearer.

. . . It just may not strike the Court as important enough of a case to grant plenary review . . .

What could possibly be more important to SCOTUS than the blatant and willful disregard of a fundamental, incorporated and enumerated civil right in the largest circuit in the land? There is ZERO room for hair-splitting here. The 9th is doing exactly what Heller said it could not do. What the hell good is a landmark decision that can be directly contravened by an inferior court without consequence? I am so ashamed of the ninth circuit.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011

So the Ninth Circuit avoided the other preliminary injunction factors because it found Jackson lost on the merits. Jackson was a PI appeal brought 3.5 years into litigation. Let's say that the Supreme Court takes this and reversed the Ninth. What would happen then? Would the Ninth then issue a new opinion which ruled on whether the other three Winters factors were satisfied before deciding whether a PI was approriate?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So the Ninth Circuit avoided the other preliminary injunction factors because it found Jackson lost on the merits. Jackson was a PI appeal brought 3.5 years into litigation. Let's say that the Supreme Court takes this and reversed the Ninth. What would happen then? Would the Ninth then issue a new opinion which ruled on whether the other three Winters factors were satisfied before deciding whether a PI was approriate?

It depends entirely on what the SCT says. If the SCT says that the 9th screwed up in its reading of Heller as a matter of law, even the 9th Circuit would have a hard time affirming the district court's ruling on a PI appeal.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    There is zero room for hair-splitting here. With astounding hubris the 9th CA has specifically contravened in the finest detail the holding in Heller. If SCOTUS doesn't fix this I have no more respect for SCOTUS than I do for the 9th circuit.

If the 9th's intent were to make a mockery of SCOTUS and Heller they would not need to change a single word of the ruling.

Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It's not on SCOTUSBLOG's "Cases to Watch". Not sure how often a case slips by their radar and gets cert, especially when there's no similar case simultaneously at SCOTUS.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    It's not on SCOTUSBLOG's "Cases to Watch". Not sure how often a case slips by their radar and gets cert, especially when there's no similar case simultaneously at SCOTUS.

They still have two weeks to go, but a non-prisoner appeal unmentioned as a petition of the day has very long odds.

rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    interesting comment on Scotusblog

They still have two weeks to go, but a non-prisoner appeal unmentioned as a petition of the day has very long odds.

I'm new to Scotusblog, but find it invaluable, especially the Plain English tab.

Unfortunately it seems theres not a lot of commentary there on 2A cases until something actually gets active at SCOTUS. And given how much else is going on, that makes sense.

But I found your comment, Kharn interesting as inside baseball, and wonder if its partly due to the denial of Scotusblog credentials. Coincidentally, their star reporter, Lyle Dennison, just got his own blog, and got Scotusblog credentialed, just a day before SCOTUS issued its updated policy on credentials. Scotusblog is still denied, due to conflict of interest between owner, who argues before the court, and that delays the reporting a bit, I imagine.

I suppose its possible Mr Dennison will post something on his own, before it hits Scotusblog. http://lyldenlawnews.com/

More on the background on credentials:
    http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...urt_press_credentials_under_new_policy_what_a

More on Mr Dennison, who seems like a really interesting gent, here:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...are-still-stands-tomorrow-probably-from-lyle/

rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    Esqappellate- a question for you on cert

Can I ask a sort of hypothetical question to see, Esqappellate, if understand what you have said before about what SCOTUS looks for to grant cert-
    and see if my laymans logic is applied more or less correctly here, on Jackson and Clements chances?

I'm going from memory on something you wrote on what SCOTUS seems to like in general for taking something on for cert, so pls correct if I got it wrong.

1. "square contradiction" between state and federal law -

IANAL to evaluate this, but per Clements arguments in the petition, as a lower court blatantly ignoring specific guidance in Heller, its a clear contradiction between this city and SCOTUS in binding case law in Heller, correct?

2. "Enough districts have weighed in, to say that the issue has percolated up, with a clear split" to be decided, (no matter which way the missing ones go).

The Ninth is the last, and Jackson is all about the 2 step. That will apply in Peruta, too, so there is that indirect but important influence to come....

3. A case of state vs feds, ie US Solicitor General, or State AG...
    Not exactly the State of CA- just one big ultra-liberal city- the most liberal on West Coast. But hey, Kamala Harris is from there, right?

4. Represented by one of the very small elite of appellate practioners.
    Paul Clements is the peak of that pyramid, I inferred from your comments.

5. Something significant to warrant ruling on.
    Again, I dont know how to evaluate- but if all the "anti-gun" cases lately have one thing in common its the fuzzy scrutiny and government interest definitions. Judge Boggs pointed that out in Tyler, and Clements says same.

Is that why you are not confident this will be taken up Esqappellate?
    Is Jackson just not important, or too narrow enough, despite 1, 2, and 4?

Thank you for your opinion, if you can and I am mindful of your signature line, and position as someone who is a gracious gentleman, a paragon of virtue and clarity...

(is there an icon for suckups here?...:)

rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    now for us tin foil hat wearers, you know who you are...

....that brings us to insider baseball speculation on whats going on-

Drake dragged on and I recall one tea-leaf reading was it was denied because the pro-2A four, could not count on Justice Kennedy, who had undergone a change in personal conscience, post Newtown, to make up the Heller five, again, on the merits of the law in Drake.

I read that Justice Breyers fondness for the 2 step interest balancing was ruled inapplicable for the core in Heller, but I read somewhere that Justice Kennedy was a fan of intermediate vs strict scrutiny, and he is the admin Justice for the 9th, correct. What exactly does that entail?

Would he be the link to how SCOTUS currently feels about things, to the 9th, indirectly, on the gray area in that particular area?

Never mind the merits, and narrowness, per my post above...

Could the vote prediction be just too squishy for Scalia and others to risk a bad outcome, and its better to just let cert slide, again?

Strategy-wise, would it be worth SCOTUS taking a pass on Jackson, for something pending, to clarify the 2 step vagueness better, and broader,
    for everyone?

rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    kc here is more meat for your game theory...

What an excellent brief.

Unfortunately, it won't do any good. SCOTUS will deny cert.

Ok, sorry for carpet bombing this thread, but forgive the noob- searching to understand what the heck a GVR is, and a Per Curiam, and one thing and another you never know where google will lead you...:lol:

kc, check this out- its a little old but gives some "veddy interesting" slants on decisions to both validate your game theory based on political affiliation, and insights on other factors that might also affect outcomes- this is on cert, in particular, which is the topic at hand, so I plead:

RELEVANT, not OT!

Besides what else can we talk about while waiting on edge of chair ....

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1476537

rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    Jackson Amicus by FPC et al

PS: to that plenary review point- here is a quote from FPCs counsel, Benbrook, pg 16, in their Amicus to Jackson

" This all amounts to the remarkably odd circumstance
    where the Heller and McDonald minority
    opinions now effectively control the course
    of Second Amendment litigation in the lower
    courts. One commentator has gone so far as to declare
    victory for Justice Breyer."

brief in pdf here:
    https://www.firearmspolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/14-704-Jackson-v-SF-amicus-2015-1-15.pdf

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Ok, sorry for carpet bombing this thread, but forgive the noob- searching to understand what the heck a GVR is, and a Per Curiam, and one thing and another you never know where google will lead you...:lol:

kc, check this out- its a little old but gives some "veddy interesting" slants on decisions to both validate your game theory based on political affiliation, and insights on other factors that might also affect outcomes- this is on cert, in particular, which is the topic at hand, so I plead:

RELEVANT, not OT!

Besides what else can we talk about while waiting on edge of chair ....

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1476537
    A GVR is a decision of the SCT that Grants certiorari (thereby taking jurisdiction), Vacates the decision below, thereby depriving that decision of any value as precedent and Remands the case to the lower court for further action, usually citing a the court's decision in another case. This GVR is usually used where the Court has issued a decision this term and there is an argument that the lower court decision being GVRed is inconsistent. Basically, it is the Court's way of telling the lower court to take another look. "Per Curiam" means simply "by the court" -- it is not a signed opinion or authored by any particular justice. Unusually unanimous and is often used with summary reversal. Summary reversal in a per curiam opinion is a real slap, essentially telling the lower court that it got the case so hopelessly wrong as to be unworthy of the Court's time to grant plenary review and consider the merits more fully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom