Smart gun leader is in chapter-11 style restructuring (Engage Armament Considered)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    The article says it is being sold in Nebraska... doesn't that mean the NJ law should have kicked in ?

The NJ AG already ruled that the Armatix gun doesn't meet the statutory requirement for 'smart' guns. I think the Bradys may have tried to sue NJ over NOT implementing the law.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The NJ AG already ruled that the Armatix gun doesn't meet the statutory requirement for 'smart' guns. I think the Bradys may have tried to sue NJ over NOT implementing the law.

Correct and correct. And I think I heard "Swanee River" playing in the background as the NJ AG tried to announce, dance, and wipe egg off his face at the same time. Especially after the nationwide backlash following him charging the "single mom" and the "flintlock pistol collector" with possession violations.

Sucks to be him right now. Career politician with a future? Not so much any more...

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    If this tech would work for the military then we would have used it with the mraps we put in the sandbox that isis has taken. I could be wrong.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Nothing wrong with an electronic passive safety design, there could be a market for it, and offering new tech to customers grows the industry and customer base, that is what Engage was looking to do before SHTF. Problem is a fair number of companies peddling new gun tech lobby for gun control as their product can't be profitable without forcing people to adopt it ala microstamping. By all means we should be boycotting and protesting against them till they close their doors, this company may fall into that category.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Lefties don't want these passive safety devices because they may encourage gun ownership among people who would otherwise not have one. Righties are afraid of government mandates (ala NJ and CA). I think this would be profitable without mandates.

I am 100% in favor of choice ... but I doubt we will see it until CA and NJ repeal their laws.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Don't really see what the point of '(Engage Armament Considered)' in the title is, especially considering how unclear that statement is.

I hope these Armatix guys DO go bankrupt.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My question as well. I don't see the connection other than Engage trying to sell it. Maybe that was the point. If Engage gave up trying to sell it, it was an example of the lack of interest which caused the business to go under.

Maybe the OP was trying to establish that link?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    My question as well. I don't see the connection other than Engage trying to sell it. Maybe that was the point. If Engage gave up trying to sell it, it was an example of the lack of interest which caused the business to go under.

Maybe the OP was trying to establish that link?

Engage would have been one of the first retailers. Not sure how you draw the conclusion lack of interest was the problem, it never got a chance to market. It was the threats to health and income that was the problem. I'd imagine some gun collectors with deep pockets wouldn't mind getting one for the novelty of it in the least.

When a dealer gets push back as they did, due to legislation that triggers a crazy law, that is why it died. I can see it now, all the other gun dealers pointing at Engage, "They triggered an anti law!" , shop here! It is my speculation that Engage was not aware of the quirky NJ law. I doubt those guys let death threats intimidate them.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Saw this POS hit-piece by GunsSaveLife.com
    http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=16848

ARMATIX GOING UNDER

As if all that wasn’t bad enough news, the world’s only so-called “smart” gun manufacturer is going into bankruptcy.

Yes, Armatix, or whatever their name is, is going kaput. There have only been two gun shops in the US willing to sell their product, one in Los Angeles, and another in Maryland. Both shops faced sharp declines in business following news of their new offerings.

1200x-1.jpg

Photo via Bloomberg.com
    Andy Raymond thought he was going to make a bunch of money selling an unreliable .22 pistol that was a “smart” gun for not-so-smart users. It didn’t work out so well for him.

Emphasis mine.

where-did-you-get-that-information-the-toilet-store.jpg

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    Having been an engage customer since 2008ish...I was in the store supporting Andy after this whole smart gun issue. I distinctly remember Andy being on the phone being berated by folks not knowing the good that Andy has done for md gun rights in this state (along with many other upstanding ips).

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Lefties don't want these passive safety devices because they may encourage gun ownership among people who would otherwise not have one. Righties are afraid of government mandates (ala NJ and CA). I think this would be profitable without mandates.

I am 100% in favor of choice ... but I doubt we will see it until CA and NJ repeal their laws.

The problem is the anti-gun forces overplayed their hand with the smart gun push in places like NJ. So even if CA and NJ repealed such laws to allow "smart guns" to come to market, what is the stop them from reintroducing laws and mandates once the market has proven the technology?

That's the double-edged sword of "smart guns". Anti-gun people don't want guns, smart or otherwise, and want to use the technology to further limit market options and owners. Do you honestly believe if a highly reliable "smart gun" only an owner or authorized user could fire that anti-gun forces would suddenly support you carrying a gun anywhere and everywhere because it couldn't be taken and used against you?

At this point the only possible path for "smart guns" is law enforcement and the military. With law enforcement being the original impetus for the idea by saving the lives of cops by preventing their guns being used against them. Somehow in that original idea it was applied to the citizenry and exempted the two groups that would most benefit from a weapon that can't be turned on them.

So now the companies with the idea can market and prove them with the original audience. When the police and military trust them enough with their lives then the rest of us might consider it. But as long as the Sword of Damocles of restricted choice and market options dictated by anti-gun forces exist, it should remain a fantasy.

Matt

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The problem is the anti-gun forces overplayed their hand with the smart gun push in places like NJ. So even if CA and NJ repealed such laws to allow "smart guns" to come to market, what is the stop them from reintroducing laws and mandates once the market has proven the technology?

That's the double-edged sword of "smart guns". Anti-gun people don't want guns, smart or otherwise, and want to use the technology to further limit market options and owners. Do you honestly believe if a highly reliable "smart gun" only an owner or authorized user could fire that anti-gun forces would suddenly support you carrying a gun anywhere and everywhere because it couldn't be taken and used against you?

At this point the only possible path for "smart guns" is law enforcement and the military. With law enforcement being the original impetus for the idea by saving the lives of cops by preventing their guns being used against them. Somehow in that original idea it was applied to the citizenry and exempted the two groups that would most benefit from a weapon that can't be turned on them.

So now the companies with the idea can market and prove them with the original audience. When the police and military trust them enough with their lives then the rest of us might consider it. But as long as the Sword of Damocles of restricted choice and market options dictated by anti-gun forces exist, it should remain a fantasy.

Matt

What is to stop gun prohibitionists from doing anything? Stop approving handguns for the handgun roster effectively whittling the roster to zero over time? Or banning certain kinds of handguns?

Can't live in fear of what they might do because they might do anything at all at any time.

Smart guns are not for me, but they could be a good choice for someone else.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    What is to stop gun prohibitionists from doing anything? Stop approving handguns for the handgun roster effectively whittling the roster to zero over time? Or banning certain kinds of handguns?

Can't live in fear of what they might do because they might do anything at all at any time.

Don't know how they work, and if there is a way to fail in terms of firing in the wrong hand. I could imagine if marketed well, many people who are on the fence or just not comfortable with a gun may be interested. The objection that your kids can shoot themselves or an attacker can turn it against you are gone. (nothing is 100%, but lets not go there:D)

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Don't know how they work, and if there is a way to fail in terms of firing in the wrong hand. I could imagine if marketed well, many people who are on the fence or just not comfortable with a gun may be interested. The objection that your kids can shoot themselves or an attacker can turn it against you are gone. (nothing is 100%, but lets not go there:D)

My concern is that it wouldn't fire in the right hands at the worst time.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011

If somebody can only be trusted with a smart gun, do you really want them around you with non smart guns?

We already have "smart" quick access safes, that should be more than enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom